Uncharted: The Games

Le Saboteur

JayDee said:
If someone is interested in re-making the props which was seen in the teaser trailer lying on the table, I started a thread over at the RPF:

The dagger in question is a jambiya.

Essentially the Arabic word for "side," a jambiya typically refers to a short curved blade that is commonly worn in the belt. It can be found throughout the Arab world, but is most commonly associated with the modern country of Yemen. You can consider it the equivalent of the Bowie knife among early North American settlers and explorers.

The edition of Seven Pillars of Wisdom in the trailer is the Johnathan Cape Edition printed in 1935 in the UK.

UIMJ said:
I've got a 1935 1st printing of the Seven Pillars! Nice! (y)

Now pick yourself up a 1926 edition of Revolt in the Desert and you're set!

Lonsom_Drifter said:

Thank you for sharing, Lonsome! I've been attempting to limit my exposure to the game, but that was cool. We now have visual confirmation of a new weapon (a sawed-off shotgun), and Drake engaging two enemies at the same time. Very nice!

Best part of that video: watching the wallpaper curl as it caught fire! That's a fantastic detail, and I hope that the game is filled with many more like it.

Two things, though. 1.) I'm glad they have another year to "polish" the game, because everything looked too "clean." For a chateau/mansion/whatever to have fallen into disrepair and disuse, everything seemed to be a little too nice. I'd expect more grime and dirt. 2.) Aside from a couple of throwaway lines, the enemies were a little too silent. I wonder if their dialogue was muted to protect story integrity, or if it hasn't all been recorded and implemented yet.

Drake's Deception is definitely shaping up to be a winner!

Le Saboteur

Ska said:
I'm assuming there will be a part 3-3 eventually?

Part 3 of 3 is what was shown already on the Fallon show. There might be more eventually, but I think that's basically where the gameplay clips all seem to intersect.

If there is a Part 3 though, it should be quite interesting! While we're waiting, you can sit through a nice video with Amy Hennig, Game Director Justin Richmond, and Naughty Dog co-president Richard Lemerchand to see a few more snippets of that burning chateau sequence. They also discuss some of the possible story aspects, so if you want to be surprised, don't watch. You've been forewarned.

Video's here.

You can also read the recent interview with Joystiq here. It looks like those of us who are clamoring for more story-based dlc are going to continue to have to wait.

Last edited:

The Drifter

Le Saboteur said:
Thank you for sharing, Lonsome! I've been attempting to limit my exposure to the game, but that was cool. We now have visual confirmation of a new weapon (a sawed-off shotgun), and Drake engaging two enemies at the same time. Very nice!

Best part of that video: watching the wallpaper curl as it caught fire! That's a fantastic detail, and I hope that the game is filled with many more like it.

Two things, though. 1.) I'm glad they have another year to "polish" the game, because everything looked too "clean." For a chateau/mansion/whatever to have fallen into disrepair and disuse, everything seemed to be a little too nice. I'd expect more grime and dirt. 2.) Aside from a couple of throwaway lines, the enemies were a little too silent. I wonder if their dialogue was muted to protect story integrity, or if it hasn't all been recorded and implemented yet.

Drake's Deception is definitely shaping up to be a winner!

I seen a few small touches that I liked. Such as the way Nathan sidesteps from the enemies, and his movements are more detailed when he jumped for the ledge.
I also liked the moss that was growing on the floorboards during the beginning of the first video.

I do agree that the chateau looked too clean, but I don't have any worries that ND will let us down. A year is a good time to polish the game up. I'd say the game will be in the Beta stage pretty soon.
And, maybe you're right that the enemy's voices may not have been all recorded or implemented yet.

*Sigh* I need to stop watching these videos. I wanna be surprised when I finally get to play the game. But, it's so hard not to!

Le Saboteur

WitAndAWhip said:
My only complaint about UC2's multiplayer is the Situational Awareness booster. It's killin me right now. I'm at level 34 but my k/d ratio is terrible and I would say that 60-70% of my deaths are from enemies using S.A.

You and I both. The following tag has my stats (a day or so behind) following a three day experiment during the most recent 4x Cash Weekend. You can see they're not so great.

rdbell25.png

I think I've held my own rather remarkably well, but Situational Awareness and Down the Irons horribly unbalance the entire experience. Sure, I could purchase Evasion and a dozen other Boosters, but I fail to see the point. The most fun I've had this past weekend is on Plunder, Pistols Only. The game had excellent gameplay that translated quite well into the multi-player component, and somebody felt they needed to compete with the Call of Duty series.

I know I can compete since my K/D ratio was either favorable or even. But if there's anything worse, it's a group of friends going into a game with you, then leaving for whatever reason.

I probably won't be playing much longer.

Last edited:

Le Saboteur

Le Saboteur said:
I probably won't be playing much longer.

Actually, I take that back. I think I'll linger around. Feel free to look me up if you'd like to get in a game or three.

Getting back to random speculation for a moment, I thought I'd bring this up. Chances are we're going to see every character that's appeared so far in "Nate's dreams." That is, of course, based on Justin Richmond's statement about this villain being able to mess with Drake's mind. As always, we'll have to see what develops.

I do, however, expect to see Chloe back. Yes, everybody seems to clamor for Elena to return, but she has the same problem as Marion: She's "The Girl." It's fun to have her around, true, but she's out of her element.

See the below picture.

uncharted-2-among-thieves-200909180.jpg

Note the bit of cloth wrapped around her forearm. Logistically speaking it's probably there to quickly wipe sweat from her brow; other than that, it could be purely cosmetic. But I don't think so. The pattern is the interesting part. While I would have to see it unfolded to be certain, the pattern appears to be either striped or checked. Depending on where Ms. Fraser picked it up at then, it's a.) a keffiyeh or b.) a gamchha.

The gamchha is typically found in India and parts of Central Asia. The keffiyeh is, of course, found throughout the Muslim world (and on hipsters). Both perform the same basic function, but I'm guessing the Middle East based on the color scheme. Red and white checks are fairly common on the Arabian Peninsula.

Like I said, random speculation. Based on Naughty Dog's history of utilitarian character designs though, I think I might be on too something. More later.

Le Saboteur

The official site has been updated with the behind the scenes video that was made available on the Playstation Network a couple of weeks back. There are also a few more screenshots available.

If you're trying to stay away from from any possible information, do not that there are some images in the background that might give away potential details.

Ucharted: The Game

WitAndAWhip

I'm already counting down the days. :)

I'm still playing UC2 over and over again so the idea of a new story, multiplayer maps, etc is exciting. Everything I've seen so far looks great. I love the desert setting, though I'm sure they'll jump around a bit like they did in the first two.

November 1st is gonna be a holiday in my house. ;)

Le Saboteur

Sony recently debuted the Uncharted 3 trailer at this year's CES in Las Vegas. While it's virtually the same thing, there are some slight differences with the gameplay footage at the very end.

New footage begins at 1:30. Potential spoilers are below the video.

----

The new angles suggest that Drake is running on a sinking cabin cruiser or ferry; it's listed onto it's side, and is rapidly sinking beneath the waves. It also looks like Nate will be shooting it out in a flooded power sub-station. (So why's that boat there?!) We've already seen the burning chateau.

And finally, if you pause it at 1:38 you get a great close-up of one of the villains in (possibly) the Rub 'al Khali section. The enemy in question is dressed like a Bedouin, but could easily be a member of this "clandestine organization" that's been hinted at.

----

I'm especially intrigued by the bandoleer. The carrying capacity of modern magazines made them obsolete after...oh, 1920. The rounds certainly are centerfire; and I would wager they're thirty-aught-six, .308 Winchester, or .223 Remington. Naughty Dog isn't known for its cosmetic flourishes in character designs, and I can't help but wonder if the desert sections are going to feature extensive rifle work; i.e., sniping.

nathan_drake_uncharted_3.png

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Le Saboteur said:
The new angles suggest that Drake is running on a sinking cabin cruiser or ferry; it's listed onto it's side, and is rapidly sinking beneath the waves. It also looks like Nate will be shooting it out in a flooded power sub-station. (So why's that boat there?!) We've already seen the burning chateau.

And finally, if you pause it at 1:38 you get a great close-up of one of the villains in (possibly) the Rub 'al Khali section. The enemy in question is dressed like a Bedouin, but could easily be a member of this "clandestine organization" that's been hinted at.

----

I'm especially intrigued by the bandoleer. The carrying capacity of modern magazines made them obsolete after...oh, 1920. The rounds certainly are centerfire; and I would wager they're thirty-aught-six, .308 Winchester, or .223 Remington. Naughty Dog isn't known for its cosmetic flourishes in character designs, and I can't help but wonder if the desert sections are going to feature extensive rifle work; i.e., sniping.

I just want to say, Le Saboteur, I'm rarely on the level to jump into these conversations, but your commentary in this thread and others like it are really valuable. The level of attention paid, and in the last paragraph quoted above in particular, is just fantastic. I'll occasionally follow your links to other Uncharted material, but there's really no need; anything worth saying is said here.

Last edited:

Ska

Attila the Professor said:
I just want to say, Le Saboteur, I'm rarely on the level to jump into these conversations, but your commentary in this threads and others like it are really valuable. The level of attention paid, and in the last paragraph quoted above in particular, is just fantastic. I'll occasionally follow your links to other Uncharted material, but there's really no need; anything worth saying is said here.

Yeah Le Sab gets my vote for Raven Member of the Year 2010. As much as I love to find out new information about upcoming Uncharted games in this thread, I come here more to read his posts.

The Drifter

I feel the same way.
Every time that I see this thread updated by him/her, I rush to read what they have said. They really could get a job being a video game journalist.

Le Saboteur

I wanted to take a moment to thank the three of you for the kind words. They are appreciated, but I didn't have anything interesting to share until recently. Glad handing though, has never been one of my strong suits.

Atilla the Professor said:
I just want to say, Le Saboteur, I'm rarely on the level to jump into these conversations, but your commentary in this thread and others like it are really valuable.

Feel free to jump in at anytime, Atilla. I welcome all additional commentary and contributions! (It does get a little tedious seeing my handle here all the time.)

Lonsome_Drifter said:
They really could get a job being a video game journalist.

High praise indeed! I certainly wouldn't turn down such an offer, but, truth be told, I don't even really like video games. The games that I do play tend to be from genres that I have an affection for; i.e., the action-adventure and detective genres.

But thank you all just the same.

It turns out that the rumors are true -- the PSP2 (sorry, NGP) is legit, and Drake is making his foray onto the handheld! Sony of Japan recently announced both items at their news conference yesterday (?). Take a look at the video.

Aside from the fact that the game appears to be returning to it's jungle roots, not much can be discerned from the video. The enemies could be the pirates or mercenaries from Drake's Fortune. Time will tell as we get closer to the release date of both.

The one tantalizing bit of information I could discern from the video: a camera appears to play a significant part in the adventure. If you pause the video near to the end (about 3:15), the pause menu comes up. On the right hand sign, there is an icon for what appears to be Drake's journal; above that, a camera icon. Will Drake have to conduct intel gathering this time around? Photograph flora and fauna?

Actually, on a second viewing, it looks like the enemy Drake pushes off the cliff is wearing a pith helmet. We could be in Africa, sub-Saharan Africa this time around.

Some cat over at the Uncharted Fan Site also uploaded the entire Edge Magazine preview for your reading enjoyment. Click on through to read it in full.

First page of the actual article is here.

Finally, this image caused a bit of a stir. Do you think this is Drake? I certainly think it's him; concept art to be sure, but definitely him.

uc3character.png

I apologize in advance for any discrepancies or inaccuracies. I have the Plague and shouldn't be posting.

WitAndAWhip

I just bought the Edge magazine at Barnes and Noble yesterday and it's worth it for the front and back cover alone...really great stuff.

I also echo the gratitude towards Le Saboteur for the Uncharted thread. I don't get to post here much but when I do this is the first place I come for updates.

We'll have to organize a Multiplayer game for everyone in this thread when UC3 is released.

michael

WitAndAWhip said:
Not at the moment...my PS3 connection is down right now but I hope to have it back by the time UC3 comes out.
PS3 has built in wireless if that could help...I'm sure you already knew, but would be fun playing with someone from this forum.

Le Saboteur

michael said:
I'm sure you already knew, but would be fun playing with someone from this forum.

I'm around and can make myself available.

5425243226_4de8318ed3_z.jpg

The idea that this is even possible is fantastic.

Arne Meyer said:
You could sit down and watch the chateau burn around you, if you sit there long enough; however, we want the player to proceed through the game at a decent pace so that?s not going to happen. Even in this demo, you can see beams deteriorating as they burn, and you can even take cover behind them when they give way and fall to the floor, only for that cover to disappear when the beam has burned away completely.

Full article can be read here.

Original interview can be read here.

Le Saboteur

I've been hanging onto these in the hopes that there would be something of note to pair with them. Unfortunately, nothing of significant interest has found its way onto the 'net. So, rather than continue to wait, here's a couple of interviews with Naughty Dog Creative Director Amy Hennig.

This first one touches on the story, and the second mentions a couple of things that you may not want to know. As always, proceed with caution. Spoilers may be contained within.

<param name="movie" value="http://www.g4tv.com/lv3/50918" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><embed src="http://www.g4tv.com/lv3/50918" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" name="VideoPlayer" width="480" height="382" allowScriptAccess="always" allowFullScreen="true" /></object><div style="margin:0;text-align:center;width:480px;font-family:Arial,sans-serif;font-size:12px;color:#FF9B00;"><a href="http://www.g4tv.com/games/ps3/index" style="color:#FF9B00;" target="_blank">PS3 Games</a> - <a href="http://www.g4tv.com/e32011" style="color:#FF9B00;" target="_blank">E3 2011</a></div>

MACINTYRE-popup.jpg

While I'm at it, I would like to encourage any of the readers out there to pick up Michael Korda's Hero: The Life and Legend of Lawrence of Arabia. It's a fantastic read and just might fill you on some of the events surrounding the game.

There's a trio of reviews available to read here and here and here, as well a substantial preview available from Google Books.

Harper Collins has some preview audio available on their site for you to listen to. (.mp3 file)

And finally, an interview with the author. Embedded for your convenience.

Le Saboteur

DRAKENOLANNORTH.jpg

You know the face, and you should definitely know the name. Now get a chance to read about how it all came together! The Gaming Liberty has managed to secure an interview with Nolan North, the man behind several high profile characters in recent memory.

Both parts are finally available on-line, so go check them out!

Nolan North Interview: Part the First

Nolan North said:
That?s interesting because a couple of years ago when Uncharted 2 came out, a bunch of games that had been in development for a long time (from about the time of Uncharted 1) came out with my voice. The timing of those games was a little bit unfortunate because all of a sudden, everyone who loved me turned around and was like ?you?re in too many games.? For example, there?s Dark Void. To be fair to Dark Void, the initial recordings were done I believe just around the time the first Uncharted came out. So they had been casting before that and then the development stalled along the line. It then came out and everyone was like ?O, its Nathan Drake with a jet pack."

Nolan North Interview: Part the Second

Nolan North said:
I don?t know much about it. But what I do know is nothing you can?t be read online. All I can give you is my opinion on things. David O.Russell has been contracted to write the script. Given his success with ?The Fighter?, that?ll either be good or bad for the Uncharted film. I don?t know? He?s very close with Mark Wahlberg, he has been since they made ?Three Kings? together and there?s talk that he wants to put De Niro and Pesci back together as Nathan?s father and uncle. That?s awkward because Nathan?s an orphan. So that?s a little strange. People are calling me all the time and asking me ?so why don?t you play Drake??. I was told that there was a meeting at Sony about that and while everyone knows I could do it and deliver that performance, why couldn?t I? Drake is me. It?s just I?m not a movie star. I don?t have a big enough name. The way the film business works, you need financing and investors in place and foreign investors aren?t going to invest in Nolan North. They?re going to invest in Mark Wahlberg. That?s just the way the business goes.