Unused Indy IV scripts

Ska

OK so from what I've seen throughout various threads at the Raven, some of you seem to have some contacts in the Indy world. And even some of you have seen either all or some of the older Indy IV scripts.

So what can you tell us? We're all Indy geeks here and need to know EVERYTHING about Indy that is out there. Are "you" able to share any information? And if so, it's cards on the table time!

What's the harm? We already know the general idea for the real Indy IV...so what were they originally planning?

I'd love to know!

BTW, in case anyone missed it, it's already been "confirmed" that one of the scripts involved the Garden of Eden and the Flaming Sword. Indy supposedly finds the Garden (not on Earth, by the way).

IndyFan89

Other Canned Kingdom Scripts

Other than "Indiana Jones and the Saucer Men from Mars" script by Jeb Stuart, does any one know if it's possible to find M. Night Shyamalan, Stephen Gaghan, and Tom Stoppard's drafts? Ha anybody hear read them? I know it's easy to find Jeb's draft so i didn't know if it was easy to find the others. :confused:

Shoot me if this has already been mentioned in another thread. :gun:

Finn

Staff member
torao said:
As far as we know none of the guys you mentioned has ever penned a draft for IndyIV.
In that you're wrong. All these men mentioned have been at some point at least rumored to be writing a draft for Indy IV, strongest of them Shyamalan. Actually quite a few reports confirmed this in the early years of the decades we're on.

It is not known what exactly became of this Shyamalan draft.

torao

Moderator Emeritus
Finn said:
In that you're wrong. All these men mentioned have been at some point at least rumored to be writing a draft for Indy IV, strongest of them Shyamalan. Actually quite a few reports confirmed this in the early years of the decades we're on.

It is not known what exactly became of this Shyamalan draft.

Ahh. Maybe I was a bit rash in my judgement. But I remembered Shyamalan's parents confirming their son's attachment to the project (I remember me getting wrongly excited for the 400th time.) to some newspaper and Shyamalan himself later on speaking of a meeting with anyone besides George L and that he basically doesn't want to work on someone else's ideas and prefers to develop his own stories.

I was never contacted formally to do the project, I did publicly express interest, but nothing really ever came to fruition. I have talked with all of them besides George (Lucas), and it sounds exciting. They have their ideas and I of course as a fan, have ideas of how they should do it. They will get it done, I just don't think it will be completed for some time. It will probably be the biggest film ever made, I think it would even topple Star Wars and Titanic at this point."
(August 2001)

"There was interest, but it just felt like they were trying to throw mud against the wall and see what stuck," says a spokesperson for Shyamalan, who's since moved on to the supernatural thriller Signs.
(December 2001)

I'm not so secure in the metaphors used by Hollywood-folks. But to me, throwing mud against a wall doesn't exactly sound like writing a draft. In the end though, we don't know. Sounds more like having a meeting and exchanging ideas. But what do I know.
However, it looks like Gaghan has a Jones for the assignment. He recently told The Hollywood Reporter that he hopes to start banging out the new Indy adventure in the near future.
(May 2001)

There was that ABANDON project of his at that time that he went on to direct. Gaghan's Indy IV tracks trailed away quite abruptly and we never heard about the banging out of a new adventure by Gaghan again. I'm not so sure if maybe there's an interview out there in which he mentions the circumstances of his (failed) involvement.
In 2002, when all those legal problems with Paramount were solved and the picture was "greenlit" Tom Stoppard's name was mentioned...and than disappeared in aid of Frank Darabont.

btw: That deadbolt recap is a bit weak, IndyFan. They list the Monkey King script as a draft for IndyIV? There was a solid timeline of IndyIV drafts in an Empire issue in 2006 I believe. And there's those threads about the Nathanson and Darabont drafts on this very board if that's what you want to dig into.

Last edited:

bonoferox

I read the Jeb one a few months ago and was shocked that it was nearly accepted (assuming it was legit).
It just didn't have the heart of the other films by a longshot.

I started reading Chris Columbus' script, but I lost interest after the third page.

oki9Sedo

bonoferox said:
I read the Jeb one a few months ago and was shocked that it was nearly accepted (assuming it was legit).
It just didn't have the heart of the other films by a longshot.

The more I think of it, it wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either.

I think Area 51 is a great idea. Think about it - its different, but the same. Which is exactly what is needed.

That said, it isn't quite strong enough to be the focus of the film.....it would mean most of the film being set in one interior location. So I think having it as a major part of the film but not the focus is a great idea on the filmmaker's part.

bonoferox said:
I started reading Chris Columbus' script, but I lost interest after the third page.

That was pure bollocks.

oki9Sedo

bonoferox said:
With wacky fun! But yeah, having a title with "Monkey King" would just kind of make a mockery of the series.

I just thought it was too much. Spielberg thought so too. He said the idea of filming a scene with Indy riding a rhinocerus in a multi-vehicular chase made him feel old.

If I remember correctly weren't there monkeys trained to use guns in it or something?

I think the important thing to remember is "different but the same"...thats just different.

bonoferox

Agreed. I didn't read far enough into it to see if they used guns, but according the page mentioned above, they drove cars and had an Ewok-ish battle....that would be more embarassing than the Japanese-accented Neimodians in Star Wars.

Probably could have gotten a great John Candy cameo out of it, though, God rest his soul.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Lucas says there were 5 different writers over 14 years.
http://www.mtv.com/overdrive/?vid=179708
To the best of my knowledge they were:

Jeb Stuart, Saucer Men from Mars, Revised Draft, February 20, 1995
Jeffrey Boam, 1995-1996
Frank Darabont, (skull), two drafts, June 2002 - January 2004
Jeff Nathanson, (skull), 2005
David Koepp, Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, 2006

Keep digging! I am.

Finn

Staff member
The people mentioned in the opening posts likely penned drafts at best, not full scripts.

JerryKing

For the gist of Shyalaman's script, sift through the "Twilight Zone" production office's trash bin that Rod Serling labeled "too hackneyed to use". That's where Shyamalan gets the plots that he didn't plagiarise from the aired episodes of TZ.

bonoferox

I don't know. Shyamalan had Frank Marshall producing his work (not relevant, I know) and is a huge fan of Raiders which included making his own version when he was a kid (extra on the Village DVD). I think he could have had a good / decent script.

No Ticket

Old KOTCS Script(s)?

Hey felllas, I did mah search thang but I didn't find what I was looking for. I was wondering if anyone knows where I could find/read the old versions of the KOTCS script that you guys mentioned awhile back. Because I remember before KOTCS came out you guys were talking about the fridge scene that wound up in the movie. Apologies if the answer is obvious, try to be kind. :)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
From this collection from Creative Screenwriting magazine:
(NOVEMBER/DECEMBER 2000)
Shyamalan: "We’re in deep discussions about it, so hopefully it’ll happen... It’s a childhood dream to come in and be a part of that group. Raiders of the Lost Ark was one of my favorite films, it’s what got me started [in filmmaking]. It’s childhood coming full circle. I can almost put that part of my life to bed and go on. [And] writing something for Steven Spielberg and George Lucas. What was exciting about the original Raiders was when they said, “From the guys who brought you Jaws and Star Wars.” It’s cool to think that I could be a third element in that, to bring a certain style of fantasy filmmaking and voice to the table. That’s exciting for me."

Last edited:

Lego Indy

I believe that Shyamalan would have created an intense script with action and suspense. Too bad it never happened. :(

Or will it.....;)