ABC One Sheet High-Res Scan?

InexorableTash

Does anyone have a higher resolution scan of the ABC One Sheet, i.e.:

225px-YIJCposter.jpg

The best scan I've found on the 'net is 350x509 (via tineye.com)

(At least, I'm assuming that's a one-sheet.)

Ugh, never mind, found it a few seconds later at:

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/indianajones/images/1/1a/YIJCposter.jpg

Duh. Mods, please delete this thread!

MDew

Still, that would be a cool poster to own - as would all of the VHS posters from the series. Drew Struzan is the man!

AnnieJones

One thing I never understood.The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles originally aired on ABC,but The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones was put out on CBS DVDs.

AnnieJones said:
One thing I never understood.The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles originally aired on ABC,but The Adventures of Young Indiana Jones was put out on CBS DVDs.

Catalogs get shuffled around. Studios and distributors get bought out. That's pretty common.

Crack that whip

AnnieJones said:

Like the feature films, the Indy TV series was released through Paramount. A few years ago, Paramount Television and CBS Productions merged, so lots of TV stuff formerly owned or distributed through Paramount now comes under either the CBS name or some joint CBS / Paramount thing. The entire catalog of Star Trek TV shows (to name just one example) is affected the same way; all the more recent DVD releases and TV broadcasts of the various Trek TV shows bear the CBS mark.

(Of course, in the case of the Indy series, the production company Lucasfilm actually owns it; Paramount / CBS merely distributes it.)

InexorableTash

Following up on my own thread here with a second question...

Where did this poster originally appear? I assume it was used in print publications like TV-Guide to advertise the upcoming series... but can anyone confirm? I'd love to get a physical copy for a higher resolution scan.

I'm also kicking myself because a few months ago a version of this was up on eBay, described as a "proof". I didn't consider bidding at the time, but that was before I went hunting and failed to find any further leads on it. I don't recall that it actually sold, and it was cheap since it wasn't the original artwork, just a posterboard mounted copy.

InexorableTash

Darnest thing. I was at a cafe having my morning shot of caffeine when an old guy with an eyepatch and a tattered hat sat down next to me, quite uninvited. He said something about liking my style. Apparently taking my sleep-deprived, befuddled gaze as an invitation to converse, he groused on about Italy in the '20s and how the cafe scene was so much better back then, not just a Starbucks on every corner. He droned on and on about this one time he and a lovely young barista ended up in some crazy chase through the streets of Turin... I think I kinda zoned out after a while, and when I came to he was gone. The old coot had left a stack of old magazines on the table, though. I flipped through one, and to my surprise I found this staring at me:

YIJC_People.jpg

Turns out it was in People Magazine, February 24th, 1992. Here's a bigger version, with eye-popping Struzan goodness:

YIJC_ABC.jpg

And for the full resolution scans, go here:

http://www.mediafire.com/i/?szs40qbma4bf268

Big thanks to that stranger with the bad eye and natty hat, whoever he was!

Stoo

AWESOME!!!(y) Thanks for the link, Tash! Lines from the other side of the page leaked through on the scan. A repair job is in order and when it's done, I'll make it available.

Like MDew said, it would look great hagning on a wall. I'm going take the file to a printer and get a poster made!
InexorableTash said:
Big thanks to that stranger with the bad eye and natty hat, whoever he was!
I think I know who that stranger is and it ain't Old Indy!;)

InexorableTash

Stoo said:
Lines from the other side of the page leaked through on the scan. A repair job is in order and when it's done, I'll make it available.

I noticed that too... let me try re-scanning with a black backing to the page before you invest too much effort into touching up. Might save some time.

Stoo

Tash, try a scan with a backing page of solid white and another with solid black. Choose the best result after that...;)

InexorableTash

Here's a scan (600DPI) with a mostly solid black background. I don't think I'm going to be able to improve on this:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/inexorabletash-share/YIJC+ABC+600dpi+DarkBG.jpeg

Warning: It's a 16MB JPEG image, 4813x6444 pixels (31 megapixels).

Note: The smudge in the "Before the world..." text between "Indiana," and "Indiana" is on my paper copy and in the ink, so I can't provide a cleaner scan. It should be easy to tidy up in a bitmap editor, however.

Hey Tash, thanks very much for the perfect scan... I was looking for a high quality version of this for ages!

I took the liberty to clean it up and make it printable at poster size (I'd say up to 80 x 60 cm, although you can print it at any 4:3-format):

You can download the full-size version HERE. The next step might be to make the text better quality (by re-doing it) and maybe a completely textless version (well, except for the "Young Indy" logo itself, since it's too big to be removed properly). I'll get to it when I find time.

Last edited:

Stoo

Tash & Laserschwert, thank you ever so much! Glad I didn't take the previous image to the printer yet because this latest version is so much better. (Personally, I like all the extra text and ABC logo.)

What a gift...You guys ROCK!:hat:

michael

Struzan is a God.

Look how much emotion he captures with Indy and Vicky right there, the look on her face...holy smokes.

Thanks for uploading!

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Laserschwert said:
Hey Tash, thanks very much for the perfect scan... I was looking for a high quality version of this for ages!

I took the liberty to clean it up and make it printable at poster size (I'd say up to 80 x 60 cm, although you can print it at any 4:3-format):

You can download the full-size version HERE. The next step might be to make the text better quality (by re-doing it) and maybe a completely textless version (well, except for the "Young Indy" logo itself, since it's too big to be removed properly). I'll get to it when I find time.

Although you've done a link for Mediafire, I was suprised to see the poster was uploaded to movieposterdb - http://www.movieposterdb.com/poster/35103981, by yourself, as a non-free download.

Personally, I find it quite disingenuous that someone or a company, regardless of motive, is profiting off other people's generosity and will ultimately draw attention of the copyright holder as this would not be seen as fair use.

Even though I usually agree regarding pay-per-download sites (and I'm not talking about legitimately buying stuff, which is of course a great thing), I regard MoviePosterDB as one of the finest collections for this type of thing. After all it IS impossible to host such a huge archive of hi-res artwork, without financing it somehow. Regarding copyright, that's of course a whole other thing, which is pretty much independent of money being made off of it or not... (sharing posters for printing them off and hanging them on your wall is already NOT fair use)

Last edited:

JuniorJones

TR.N Staff Member
Laserschwert said:
Even though I usually agree regarding pay-per-download sites (and I'm not talking about legitimately buying stuff, which is of course a great thing), I regard MoviePosterDB as one of the finest collections for this type of thing. After all it IS impossible to host such a huge archive of hi-res artwork, without financing it somehow. Regarding copyright, that's of course a whole other thing, which is pretty much independent of money being made off of it or not... (sharing posters for printing them off and hanging them on your wall is already NOT fair use)

Again, the fact is, regardless of motive or intent, MoviePosterDB is revenue based orgainsation that is actively trading copyright material and is also a conduit for other commerical sites.

It can be simply argued, that original image was uploaded for reference/education purposes in the same way wikipedia uses fair use and if people choose to make posters of the material they will be subject to their own copyright laws. In Canada, they permit the printing of posters for personal use and in the US it is permits copying of up to 10 prints before it is classed as commerical but it is still debatable as to whether that is Fair Use.

Ultimately, I cannot see any particular reason for you to have posted the art on their website other than to gain credits for your own use.

Last edited:
JuniorJones said:
Ultimately, I cannot see any particular reason for you to have posted the art on their website other than to gain credits for your own use.
Uploading the poster didn't gain me any credits, and honestly I wouldn't care. I just did it so that it's archived properly. Maybe you've seen my LucasArts Posters project, for which I put a lot of hard work into preserving classic game artworks, and not making any profit with it. Even though it's a legal grey area similar to MPDB, it's supported by several of the artists that actually made those box-artworks back then. I think you don't really get my motifs.