Help! Where to find a cheap whip?

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
THREAD MOVED.

If you're looking for cheap whip (which is a prop) best be posting the said thread in the right table- the Collecting table is more for your non-gear/prop related items (e.g. board games, action figures, etc).

Having said that, I'm sure you'll get your answers now.

InexorableTash

Todd's Costumes. At the intersection of functional, attractive, and inexpensive, they can't be beat.

The new whips being sold by Todd's are inexpensive (goathide? rather than cow or kangaroo), have light handles, bulky falls and won't stand up to heavy use (thin, dry leather). However, they look great and once treated with a leather conditioner they are serviceable. A new fall also helps significantly.

Although I own and have used many other whips, I was enjoying playing with the 10-footer I got from Todd's last year just this past weekend. It's my longest whip and lots of fun, even if the weighting is poor and it doesn't "slither" like a whip with higher quality materials and construction.

IndyJones5183

I had this whip a couple of years now,but I was wondering is this whip Indy, appropriate or correct enough. :confused:

It's a 10 foot whip.
39111_131221610254732_100001006821457_156192_2460102_n.jpg

indyclone25

IndyJones5183 said:
I had this whip a couple of years now,but I was wondering is this whip Indy, appropriate or correct enough. :confused:

It's a 10 foot whip.
39111_131221610254732_100001006821457_156192_2460102_n.jpg
that whip looks like a jerzjoes (spelling?) i have three from , two 10ft whips and a 13ft my sons uses the 10 footers to crack with , and he does get them to crack .i have a todds 8ft whip and it is pretty nice for the price . i intend on getting a 10ft or 12 ft whip this summer .

IndyJones5183

It was an E-bay buy.I haven't cracked it yet and the leather hasn't been conditioned yet either.
But for an Indy whip, is it a close enough?:confused:
I just don't want to put more money out to get another one(even though I love the look of the movie whip).I just want to know if it is worth getting an Indy type whip?:confused:

InexorableTash

IndyJones5183 said:
I just don't want to put more money out to get another one(even though I love the look of the movie whip).I just want to know if it is worth getting an Indy type whip.:confused:

"Close enough" is in the eye of the owner. If that's what you can afford and are happy with it, it's close enough. To other collectors, a $1200 'roohide whip made by the same craftsman who produced the whips used in Raiders isn't "close enough" if it was made 20 years later because the craftman's style had changed in subtle ways.

To be blunt: that whip can possibly be cracked with considerable effort, but it's not a good whip nor does it particularly resemble the whips used in the films.

A good reference for the whips used in the films is at: http://www.indygear.com/igbullwhip.html

If you want to understand what contributes to a functional whip, this video by record holder Adam Winrich is worth checking out:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AdamCWM#p/a/u/2/krOjS_zfMvE - key points: smooth taper, thin fall, thinner popper.

Like ANY hobby or collection, there is nearly always something more accurate or higher quality out there to spend money on, so know what your goals and budget are.

indyclone25

IndyJones5183 said:
It was an E-bay buy.I haven't cracked it yet and the leather hasn't been conditioned yet either.
I just don't want to put more money out to get another one(even though I love the look of the movie whip).I just want to know if it is worth getting an Indy type whip?:confused:
i will post a video when the weather is a bit better showing my son using his jerzjoe whip and getting it to crack!

InexorableTash

InexorableTash said:
To be blunt: that whip can possibly be cracked with considerable effort, but it's not a good whip nor does it particularly resemble the whips used in the films.

Let me moderate my comment a bit: it is a brown leather American-style bullwhip, as opposed to, say, a black nylon Australian-style stockwhip with wooden handle. So it is not as far from what Indy uses as it could be!

Enjoy it, but don't judge yourself harshly if you have trouble cracking it.

fenris

How cheap is "cheap" for you? Do you need it to just look the part or do you need it to crack as well?

IndyJones5183

fenris said:
How cheap is "cheap" for you? Do you need it to just look the part or do you need it to crack as well?

I would like it to do both(if it looks like the one in the movie and doesn't crack, that still wouldn't bother me).But I don't want to spend thousands of dollars on a whip.I just want something that looks close to the movie.

InexorableTash

If you can swing $100 then I reiterate: Todd's Costumes:

http://www.toddscostumes.com/product/358411/Indiana-Jones-Style-Bullwhip/ - $100 for 8', $130 for 10'

Here's one of the whips David Morgan supplied for Last Crusade, c/o IndyGear.com:
LC-whip.jpg

Here's my 10' Todd's Costumes whip, after a thorough dosing in leather conditioner and sunshine:

Todd's 10' - 2 weeks later by inexorabletash, on Flickr

(I've since replaced the fall.)

Again, this in no way compares with a 'roohide in terms of quality, usability, weight or texture, but it looks pretty good for a fraction of the price and is functional.

The Character

I'd definitely recommend the Todds... I've had a couple of whips that were cheaper but which died on me ... my friends KT has a Morgan 8 Footer and that baby just sings ... i have a whip very similar to the Todds and its 10 Ft ... good whip but the weighting makes it much harder to crack easily as its just that little bit too light wieght to carry the throw .... that said if you don't care too much about the crack and you want the reach more then its more than enough

the longer whips are good for the look and feel of LC .... the 8 footer or shorter is a great Streets of Cairo option and will crack consistently.

.... when you get it ... shove it in a plastic bag with a shedload of leather conditioner and or Pecards for a day and just let it soak in .... it will completely change the dynamic of the beast ... and all for the better.

to put it in perspective i had the option to buy a good 8ft whip from KT but passed on it .... in hindsight although shorter than i was after it was a way way better whip..