Kathleen Kennedy Speaks on IJ4

indyjones2131

Chud.com has interviews with everyone associated with War of the Worlds. So far, only Kathleen Kenedy's interview has been posted, but her answer to the inevitable question sounds as if someone wasn't totally happy with the script and they are expecting the next draft in about 2 months. Only then will they decide if it will be the next project. Head on over to read it yourself and let me know if my take seems accurate.

indyjones2131

Um, intergamer? By optimistically sugared up summary I will assume you were meaning to be sarcastic.

I thought sure Speilberg was happy with the script last month. Mrs Kennedy seems to have a different bit of info.

Paden

Agreed. It seems that the news that everyone but Ford had read and approved the script was incorrect. Kennedy's statement makes everything seem much more tenuous than it sounded a few weeks ago.

Dene

Were you all reading the same interview?! It didn't sound pessimistic to me. George Lucas has been saying all along that he and Jeff Nathanson are working towards "showing Steven Spielberg something in the Fall" (or words to that effect).

Think positive! It's looking good. The project is 'live' or there wouldn't be so much talk about it.

Paden

Dene said:
Think positive! It's looking good. The project is 'live' or there wouldn't be so much talk about it.

Good point. Plus, Pale Horse wisely pointed out in the adjacent "Lucas screwing with Indy 4 script... AGAIN!!!" thread that we don't know when the interview with Kennedy took place in relation to the current news about the script.

Paden

My impression was that the interviews were being released as part of the promotion for the release of War of the Worlds, and their release timed to fall in the days just prior to that film's release. Hopefully, because of this scheduling, the information is old.

However, I've already expressed my concerns about the script elsewhere, and those concerns remain. It's one thing to revise a script to tighten up dialogue or to alter the progression of a scene so that it flows better, but my impression is the revisions to Indy IV have to do with the structure of the story itself. That much revision to the story could very well lead to the end product being tangeled and weak. Honestly, I'd rather Spielberg or Ford veto such a script rather than press forward and produce a movie unworthy of the franchise.

Paden

intergamer said:
I said in the other thread...the interview was on June 22.

Ouch. Not exactly encouraging news.

I have a theory about the script for Indy IV, and why there have been so many problems with it. Let me first quote from Lucas' interview in the May 9, 2005 issue of Time:

You know, I said three's fine. And then I came up with an idea I thought was brilliant, so I told the other guys [Spielberg and Ford], and they kind of flipped out. It's vaguely in the realm of the supernatural. We have to accept the fact that Indiana Jones is an older man. But it's been hell getting a script out of it. Steven is committed to shooting it next year. I just got the latest script yesterday.

I've always regarded Lucas as an idea man, pushing the boundaries of what could be accomplished/depicted on film. When his ideas have been good, they've resulted in outstanding movies that deserve to be immortalized (like ROTLA). I believe, as indicated by this quote, that a good portion of the core idea for Indy IV involves concepts that are rooted in the realm of spirituality and the supernatural. However, I suspect that the concepts in question, whatever they may be, are highly abstract, and that it has been difficult to take the core idea and fit it into a workable story that will translate well to the screen. As well, the concept in question may be difficult to fit into an action/adventure film, especially one that needs to be written in a way that is true to the trilogy of films that proceeded it. One accomplished screenwriter has attempted to do so, but could not produce a product that could pass muster. Now we have a second trying. By Lucas' own admission, it has been hard (bit of an understatement there) to get a workable script out of the idea. I also find his description of Spielberg and Ford's initial reactions to the concept rather telling. My point being, it may be that the core idea is simply too abstract to be compatible with an Indiana Jones film. The idea might more easily fit into a stand-alone project, but simply isn't workable with the Jones franchise. If I'm right (and I'm willing to admit I may be completely off base), it would be best to go back to the drawing board and start with an entirely new foundation, rather than continuing to try to force a script out of the existing idea.

roundshort

I have not seen K.K. ro F.M for a few months, and back then they told me they were in a dead lock. Then all of these posts and media talk about IJ IV made me think something might have happened, and with K.K. saying this kinda of stuff i wonder if they are really no where then last summer when they told me they had no script. I do know thatt hey told me nothing would be done until War of the Worlds is over. I hate to say it, but it really makes you wonder what is going on. I know for a fact nobody wants this to turn into another Star Wars crape feast

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
(Man, how did people generate entire threads without linking/quoting in the olden days?)
http://www.chud.com/3480
http://www.chud.com/3533
Kennedy: "If we see a script that we like. We’ll see a script hopefully in about two months and we’ll decide if we’re going to do it next. Jeff Nathanson is on it right now."
cruisesteve3.jpg

Archaeos

Moedred said:
(Man, how did people generate entire threads without linking/quoting in the olden days?)

I guess because in 2005, hypertext was still regarded as overrated :p .

Thanks for the hyperlinks, Moedred!