So if there is an Indy V, will Hasbro continue the line?

deckard24

If Indy V does indeed happen, do you think Hasbro will dust off the line and continue it where it left off? Or could they only create a line of figures and vehicles strictly for Indy V, steering clear of the remaining waves of figures from the first 4 films? I know some of you are pretty knowledgeable of the way these toy companies work, so I'm curious what do you guys think?

Also, if the line is continued, how best do you think it should be managed? What figures would you like to see made, and should they redistribute the waves that were already released?

MaxPhactor23

The only reason I?d ever even want there to be an Indy V is for the possible chance of getting the second Raiders wave. Otherwise?I could really care less. In fact, if they said they wouldn?t release Toht and the lot, I wouldn?t even want a fifth movie. Crystal Skull was lousy enough in my book.

bgiles73

I'd like to see at least one more wave from each movie including KOTCS to fill in the gaps. If they do a fifth film I hope they will bring back Sallah, Willie and Short Round in the mix! It might also be cool to see Lao Che and sons in a new movie too! It would be great to tie up any loose ends and go out with a real bang!

deckard24

MaxPhactor23 said:
The only reason I?d ever even want there to be an Indy V is for the possible chance of getting the second Raiders wave. Otherwise?I could really care less. In fact, if they said they wouldn?t release Toht and the lot, I wouldn?t even want a fifth movie. Crystal Skull was lousy enough in my book.
While I agree with you that KOTCS was so-so, part of me really wants a fifth film just to give Indy a better send off!

I would love to see the second Raiders wave, a redistribution of the TOD wave, some more vehicles ie. LC motorcycle w/side car, bi-plane, clipper plane(might be a bit too large though;) ), and some more deluxe figures: TOD mine car chase, elephant w/ Indy and Shorty, etc...Part of me thinks Hasbro will be very cautious about the line though if Indy V does really happen. They might just make a wave or two of Indy V characters, a few deluxe figures, a vehicle or two, and some more of the role playing toys ie. electronic whip and fedora. The problem here though is the figures that sold like hotcakes were the older film characters and not so much the KOTCS wave, so for that reason they might not even produce a single figure? It's really so up in the air, but we can hope right?

MaxPhactor23

deckard24 said:
While I agree with you that KOTCS was so-so, part of me really wants a fifth film just to give Indy a better send off!

I would love to see the second Raiders wave, a redistribution of the TOD wave, some more vehicles ie. LC motorcycle w/side car, bi-plane, clipper plane(might be a bit too large though;) ), and some more deluxe figures: TOD mine car chase, elephant w/ Indy and Shorty, etc...Part of me thinks Hasbro will be very cautious about the line though if Indy V does really happen. They might just make a wave or two of Indy V characters, a few deluxe figures, a vehicle or two, and some more of the role playing toys ie. electronic whip and fedora. The problem here though is the figures that sold like hotcakes were the older film characters and not so much the KOTCS wave, so for that reason they might not even produce a single figure? It's really so up in the air, but we can hope right?

You know…I never really looked at it that way. I’ve become such a cynic with anything contemporary Lucas is involved with, I just naturally assume it would suck. Well…maybe (if made) they’ll learn from their mistakes and give us a more Indy styled adventure as opposed to the 50’s B-movie theme with Indy (arguably inappropriately) thrusted into the mix. You’ve made me more optimistic. Hah. If hypothetically the Indy series can end better, I want it too. Crystal Skull really left a sour taste in my mouth. God do I miss the picturesque riding off into the sunset closing. So perfect…

We def. got shortchanged as far as the Indy line goes. There’s so much we’re missing that could and should really be viewed as essential. Toht comes to everyones mind. I also really wanted a Belloq that wasn’t scene specific. It’s become very bitter sweet for me. On the one hand, I’m picking up all the figures I missed for an absurdly cheap price. It’s nearly criminal. On the other hand…because of the poor sales, the line ended very prematurely. There’s little hope I’ll ever find the TOD wave, the figures I dreamed of owning as a child. I've only been able to find three LC figures.

deckard24

MaxPhactor23 said:
You know…I never really looked at it that way. I’ve become such a cynic with anything contemporary Lucas is involved with, I just naturally assume it would suck. Well…maybe (if made) they’ll learn from their mistakes and give us a more Indy styled adventure as opposed to the 50’s B-movie theme with Indy (arguably inappropriately) thrusted into the mix. You’ve made me more optimistic. Hah. If hypothetically the Indy series can end better, I want it too. Crystal Skull really left a sour taste in my mouth. God do I miss the picturesque riding off into the sunset closing. So perfect…

We def. got shortchanged as far as the Indy line goes. There’s so much we’re missing that could and should really be viewed as essential. Toht comes to everyones mind. I also really wanted a Belloq that wasn’t scene specific. It’s become very bitter sweet for me. On the one hand, I’m picking up all the figures I missed for an absurdly cheap price. It’s nearly criminal. On the other hand…because of the poor sales, the line ended very prematurely. There’s little hope I’ll ever find the TOD wave, the figures I dreamed of owning as a child. I've only been able to find three LC figures.

The whole thing has left a bad taste in my mouth too, and I agree there's something very bittersweet about it all! I'm in the same boat regarding the TOD figures, as a kid growing up in the 80's those were the ones I wanted more then anything else! I wasn't even able to own an actual Indy from the original line, but instead I had to super-glue a hat onto my Bespin Han Solo figure to make do.LOL I was lucky to find a bunch of the playsets, convoy truck, and horses in the clearance section of ToysRUs back in the day, but it wasn't until a few years ago that I started to add a few "holy grails" to my collection. It's still far from complete, and in a way the new toys satisfied my addiction to a degree, but I'd still love to get my hands on the vintage stuff if my finances will allow it.

As for an Indy V, I'm so mixed about the whole thing because I want it to be great on one hand, but I'm skeptical after KOTCS! Skull had its moments, but overall was just not in the same league as the original films and with each viewing the difference is even more painfully obvious. A proper send off is what Indy needs, and if an Indy V can deliver that I'm all for it! Not to mention to get some of the great collectibles out of the deal would be not bad either!

Yeah a Toht figure would be awesome as would a Belloq in his desert gear, a Raven Bar Marion would be cool, a Marcus figure is a must, a Dietrich would be sweet, and even some obscure figures like Katanga and Lao Che would be fun! There was so much potential, and it was just getting going and hitting its peak as far as sculpts and paint apps were concerned, that it's just such a shame it got cancelled!

Crusade>Raiders

You guys highlighted the two of the three reasons I want another Indy.

1. Indy 4 sucked, they need to have a better Indy then that.

2. More Indy merchandise!

3. More Indy is more Indy, damnit. Even if it sucks, the first viewing is gonna be magical. "ZOMG I can't believe I'm watching the new Indiana Jones film!"

Marion Fan

Since the line did poorly overall I am sure they will bust out something new entirely. I assume they will make an entirely new scale. Probably a 6 inch scale. To please the Toht fans they will crank one of those out in the first few waves. Hopefully they will burst out some sort of Ark Ghost as well. No matter what they will shove about 12 different versions of Indy himself. Which I do not think really helped last years assortments. The problem is he wears essentially the same outfit. It is almost like having 80 of the same Indy figures rotting on the pegs.

Errex

Well, if there is ever an Indy 5, I'd like them to continue were they were left, and I think the smart thing to do for Hasbro is to use all the work they already had for the cancelled items. Changing scales or styles now would only alienate the current fanbase. Although, if Indy Animated ever becomes a reality we might see figures done in the animated style.

deckard24

You guys make some good points!:hat:

I personally would like to see them continue the line where they left off, because it would seem like a waste to scrap it when they already had the prototypes ready to go for the second Raiders wave! A 6" line though would be really cool, kind of like the LJN line for TOD. I'd be shocked if they didn't make any toys at all considering how much $ KOTCS pulled in through both ticket sales and merchandise, but it makes sense that they would scale back quite a bit on their production.

What might be cool would be to have the Indy V film have its own line, and then give the collectors a wave or two of figures from the original 3 films done in the vintage format, similar to the Star Wars figures from a few years back!

sebillba

I was sure that I'd read in the Hasbro Q&As, that if there was another movie, the line would definitely be brought back, kicking off with the 2nd ROTLA wave. I've had a search around, and found a couple of answers to support this:

Cool Toy Review: Since the Indiana Jones line is ending after the TOD wave, there will be some MAJOR gaps in the collection- such as Toht and Walter Donovan. What is the chance of seeing some of these gaps filled as starwarsshop/indianajonesshop exclusives? You already have both Toht (as seen at SDCC) and Donovan (Cobra Commander body from SCDD Exclusive with a new head) in the works, so why waste the effort already put into these figures and leave collectors upset with incomplete collections?

Hasbro: Online, unfortunately, only reaches a fraction of the collecting audience. For the IJ figures to really succeed and hit our volumes, we need to have national distribution, and that will happen only when there is more IJ entertainment news. If there is another movie, Toht (and the entirety of the shelved Raiders wave) will be in the lineup.

IndianaJonesCollectors: If there is another IJ movie, will you bring the line back in any capacity?

Hasbro: Definitely. We plan to bring the line back if/when there is another IJ movie. All of the development work we have done on the line, but did not get a chance to ship or finish, will be brought back onto the front burner if we get word of another film in development.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Found your sources here and here.

So, does Lucasfilm have an exclusive contract with Hasbro to make Indy toys, and for how much longer? They sound optimistic about another sequel.

Spalkomania

I imagine if there is an Indy 5 we will see at least some of the current figures again. Hasbro has the moulds, they will reuse them. Maybe there will finally be a ToD battlepack.

michael

Crusade>Raiders said:
3. More Indy is more Indy, damnit. Even if it sucks, the first viewing is gonna be magical. "ZOMG I can't believe I'm watching the new Indiana Jones film!"

Quoted for truth. Such a great feeling.

Goonie

I'd also like to see the 12" line resurrected. They need to make Sallah in Cairo Dig outfit and Ceremonial Belloq to go along with the 12" Ark!

As for 3.75" figs, I think 4 to 5 waves per movie would maybe be sufficient. Definitely start the new line with the wave 5 that was supposed to come out. After that, it would be nice to see figs like:

Raiders

Indiana Jones (in professor outfit)
Indiana Jones (in Washinton DC suit)
Belloq (in Cairo dig outfit)
Belloq (in South American outfit)
Belloq (in Cairo outfit [same outfit as truck chase])
Colonel Deitrich
Gobler
Katanga
Katanga's first mate
Marcus Brody
Jock
Marion Ravenwood (in Raven Bar outfit)
Marion Ravenwood (in Washington DC outifit)
Barranca
Sallah (in home outfit)
Sallah (in suit [when he's pickin up Indy from the bar])
Giant Sherpa
Pilot Frank Marshall
Hovitos (2-pack)

Chachopayan Temple Playset
Streets of Cairo Playset
Map Room Playset
Well of the Souls Playset
Ark Ceremony Playset

Jock's Floatplane
Staff Car

Temple of Doom

Indiana Jones (in Tux)
Indiana Jones (in Pankot Palace suit)
Lao Che
Lao Che's men
Willie Scott (in red dress)
Willie Scott (in Indy's Tux)
Chattar Lal (in suit)
Chattar Lal (in temple outfit)
Captain Blumburtt (in formal uniform)
Captain Blumburtt (in uniform)
Wu Han
Earl Webber (with bottle of Crystal Head Vodka accessory) (y)
Maharaja (in formal outfit)
Maharaja (in temple outift)
Villagers

Temple of Kali Playset
Mine Chase Playset
Rope Bridge Playset

Ford Trimotor
Mine Car
Lao Che's Gangster Car
Short Round's Car

Last Crusade

Indiana Jones (in Castle Brunwald outfit with Beret)
Indiana Jones (in bathrobe)
Fedora
Man in Panama Hat
Elsa Schneider (in Berlin outfit)
Elsa Schneider (in night gown)
Kazim (in Venice suit)
Kazim (in Canyon battle outfit)
Brotherhood of the Cruciform Sword fighters (2-pack)
Vogel (in black uniform)
Donovan (in tux)
Donovan (in expedition outfit)
Adolph Hitler (ya I know, they probably won't give us this one)
Tank crew (2-pack)
Sultan of Hatay
Dr. Henry Jones Sr. with open umbrella
Dr. Herny Jones Sr. (without jacket)

Grail Temple Playset
Sir Richard's Tomb Playset

Tank
Car used by Donovan in Canyon
Sallah's car
Rolls Royce Phantom II
Messerschmitt
Zeppelin Biplane
Motorbike with sidecar

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Ugha Warriors (different ones, gray, brown, etc)
Marion Ravenwood
Mac
Oxley
Dean Stanforth
General Ross
FBI Agents (2-pack)
Russian Soldiers (2-pack)
Mutt Williams with motorcycle (with hat instead of glasses)
Dovchenko (in US Army uniform)
Russians (in US Army uniform [2-pack])
Indiana Jones with lead-lined fridge (y)
Indiana Jones (in professor suit - so it fits Mutt's bike)
Mummified Conquistadors
Alien

A more screen acurate Akator playset
Orellana's Cradle playset

Duck
Russian Cargo Truck
US Army Vehicles

I guess that is what I'd like to see produced. The collection wouldn't be nowhere near as big as Star Wars but would cover the movies nicely.

Last edited:

Deckard

Be realistic, Indy 5 is not gonna happen.

George doesn't even have an idea right now. Once he does they have to write a script. Then it has to be re-written. Then it has to be agreed upon by the big 3. That realisticly would take at least 2-3 years and I mean AT LEAST. By the time you go through pre-production and planning etc, your talking the earliest it could start filming is about 4 years.

George is working on a live action Star Wars show now remember? He doesn't exactly have a record for multitasking. Then you gotta get a point where all 3 of them have there schedules clear. In four or five years, or more realisticly with Live action Star Wars TV coming, 6-8 years, who knows if Harrison will even still be acting?

Plus take into account the last 5 movis Lucas has put forth now have more or less been failures from the fan's perspectives. I'm not saying EVERYONE hated the prequels and Crystal Skull, I'm saying the majority, more then 60% did. If you don't agree, look at the way all the Indy merchandise lines have failed. Or the awful reviews of the Clone Wars movie. Look at the way this forum has all but died down.

Harrison made it clear he doesn't want an animated Indy. That means the soonest that could happen which is the best shot for more action figures, is whenever Harrison dies.

Just give up guys, are you really so desperate for some ****ty hunks of plastic you want to see the franchise further harmed? That sounds more like the behavior of a whore then a fan.

BTW Marcus Brody just doesn't have play value to warrant an action figure. He doesn't fire a laser gun or trasform into a jet. He's an old dead guy in a suit that kid's don't even know unless they accidently catch Trading Places on Comedey Central reruns while their doing their algebra homework, smoking crack, and trying to bang little Susie from down the street.

Last edited:

deckard24

Deckard said:
Just give up guys, are you really so desperate for some ****ty hunks of plastic you want to see the franchise further harmed? That sounds more like the behavior of a whore then a fan.
Wow man...you're being a bit harsh aren't you? Personally I'd want an Indy V first and foremost to give Indy the proper send off he deserves, and if some cool collectibles come along as part of the package that would be great too! KOTCS for me is not at all the way to end the Indy saga, especially after LC did it in such a fantastic way!

As for the toy line, this thread was meant for spectulating on how it could all happen if Indy V does indeed get made, not some "whorish" plea for more toys!

Deckard

Deck, if you want it for other reasons, like a better ending then I wouldn't put you in the same category, but I don't think I'm being harsh on the ton of people who want and have stated it before, that want a 5th movie purely for Raiders wave 2 and more.

We live in a time where this kind of, frankly ****, drives the motivations of films a bit too much. I can't think of a better example then the fact that they set up toy rights for the new Terminator before it even started filming and as a stipulation the film has to be rated PG-13 so the toys can appeal to kids. That IMO is downright retarded, make the movie, make it right and if it needs to be rated R, toys shouldn't be a consideration for it not to be. Luckily Terminator is shaping up ok even with PG-13 but my point is when dumb crap like that is allowed to motivate what can and can't happen in a movie, it can really hurt the film. Movies just aren't what they use to be, and I blame merchandising alot for it.

All those "New" fans Crystal Skull brought in, where are they now that the hype is gone, where are they now that the toys are gone. It's pretty much back to those of us who were fans already, and were a little less enthusiastic now. So was it really worth whoring Indy out, trying to catch him onto another generation? Not to me, to me it just cheapened his appeal. They tryed to groom a whole new generation of fans to come and instead turned most of them off and bittered the real fan base in the process.