Why we shouldn't worry about aliens (from a former alien hater)

joelwatts

Until now, I have been highly sceptical of the alien themed McGuffin in Indy 4. But I just came to a realization that it won't be as bad as I thought, and could very well be very good (assuming the McGuffin is handled as it was in the previous films).

What had me worried, and what would make the alien McGuffin bad, was the idea that there would be all this explanation surrounding it- a bunch of connections drawn between ancient civs, technology and aliens, etc. But in the previous movies, there is little to no explanation of the McGuffin, especially, after it's powers are discovered. The only explanation comes at the beginning, when it is introduced. Examples:

The Ark- chest carrying the commandments, power to level armies, invincibility, power of god, and some historical background on where it could be. No explanation of why ghosts come out of it, why it melts people faces, burns out their hearts, how it smolders out Nazi writing, or why if you close your eyes it won't hurt you.

Sankara Stones- Sacred rocks, if you find them you will be famous and rich, and some historical backround on where they might be. Is there anything else we are told about them, really? No explanation of removing men's hearts, the black sleep, etc.

Grail- Immortality, and some historical background on where it might be. No explanation of how it can heal a gunshot wound, sustain a knight of the crusade in hidden cave or exactly why and how you can't remove it from the temple.

Actually, this lack of explanation is one of the things that makes Indy great. The filmmakers beleive that the audience is smart enough to figure things out from what they see, without being told. It's that mistake that movies like National Treasure make by having a dialogue explaining everything.

If Indy 4 is done like the previous installments, then I think we can expect to be told this: what kinds of powers it has and some historical background (fictional or otherwise) on where it might be. Anything else about it will be inferred from what we see.

If they don't do this and end up explaining everything as they discover it, I will be disappointed.

Agent Z

I don't think we will be getting that in-depth on the crystal skulls, to the point where anything earth-shattering is laid out for us.

If you think about it, these films are not so much about the prized objects, as they are about the journey to get to them. :whip:

joelwatts

Exactly. That's basically the definition of McGuffin. But I think all the discussion of the next McGuffin has created a paranoia, and some of us (myself included) have forgotten what these movies are like.

cdatkins

Plus, I don't think there will be any "live" aliens in the film. My guess is that putting the crystal skull in just the right place will activate some kind of "spaceship" that will take some "alien skeletons" back to their homeworld.

As you noted, it will be completely ambigious about where they live, how they got here, etc.

ethanedwards

I agree with all of you.

We are going to see - Indiana Jones, named after a dog and uses a whip, hunts down treasures and saves the day... all while never losing his hat.

The McGuffin will probably have 3-5 mins of expositional dialog when we first hear of "The Skull" - then action, action, action... with quite a few jokes thrown in.

Cool:whip:

Snakes

I think that the addition of a Sci Fi element makes sense. Where as the first 3 films took place in the 1930s and were like movie serials from that time period, KOTCS takes place in the '50s and therefore is more like a 1950s movie serial. I think that if it is handles right, it wont be a bad thing at all.