indyclone25

i have seen the movie twice ( the second time i was dragged back to see it by my son) i thought it was a good movie but not that much special --i mean star wars a new hope is much better

Exulted Unicron

I just got back from the cinema. Watched it in 3D and I was blown away at just how incredible the movie was. I really did feel like I was in the movie, watching the action unfold.

kongisking

And now its a front-runner for Best Picture? Egad, even I didn't think the movie deserves THAT much...sure, I loved the balls off it, but in my opinion, a Best Picture film should have a unique original story too, and AVATAR obviously is anything but original (which actually helps it, I think). UP definitely deserves the nod this year. It's Pixar's time!

TheMutt92

kongisking said:
UP definitely deserves the nod this year. It's Pixar's time!

You don't count all the times its won best animated feature as "it's time"? :p

Seriously though, I think we're a ways off before we hand best picture off to a cartoon... then again w/ Avatar, anything's possible!

Astonishing

I finally went to see it... well, actually it was about a week ago. You know, the release date was delayed and pushed back to mid-january here in Italy, and I decided to wait for several weeks before going.

Anyway... back to Avatar.
I must admit that I found it to be PHENOMENAL. ABSOLUTELY PHENOMENAL!! I simply wasn't prepared to face such a masterfully crafted example of science fiction fantasy drama. I really wasn't. And it blown me away.

Topped Star Wars for me. All of them, by a long measure. And I've always, always been a big fan of Star Wars. That's enough.

I enjoyed this movie immensely. Don't know, maybe it's the fact that I was unconsciously expecting the stereotypical, far over-hyped blockbuster kind of film. Ala Transformers to give you an idea.
The classic type of film written and directed with no heart, where tons of useless special effects and jawbreaking explosions largely outweigh the quality of the storytelling itself.

Well, how happy I feel now that I've been proved to be SOOO wrong!!!

Before going to see the film, I'd heard some people saying that the story was banal and uninspired... yeah, sure... for those who are not completely blind the exact same thing could be easily said about ANY OTHER blockbuster film of the last five or six years at least. With the only difference that those films are not even close to be as entertaining, as genuine, as engaging and, yes, even "touching" as Avatar.

The only thing I know now is that I'm surely gonna see it again by the end of this month. But this time not in 3D, because... oh, well...

If I really had to complain about something, then it would just be the 3D technology. I wasn't minimally impressed by it, and it's a secret to no-one that I'm not exactly a fan of 3D movies. I think this one in particular would have been a killer of a film, even without being 3D at all.

Montana Smith

Nurhachi1991 said:
Still havent seen it. Never want to,Never will

It's funny, Nurhachi, that I still feel the same way. Even after reading The Stranger's very positive review. There's something about this film that just doesn't appeal to me. Can't explain it, as some films are a must see.

kongisking

TheMutt92 said:
You don't count all the times its won best animated feature as "it's time"?

No, I don't. Pixar deserves the honor in the general category, too. WALL-E should have won last year, or at least have tied with The Dark Knight, but those bigwigs at the Academy couldn't pull their heads out of their rears in time...:mad:

But anyway, we're getting off topic. The Stranger, I'm very happy to hear that you loved AVATAR. Yet another victim of James Cameron's hypnotizing talent!

As for Nurhachi and Montana, it's a shame that you guys aren't even giving the film a try, and, in Nurhachi's case, before condemning it.

roundshort

I went last night, my popcorn was very, very good.

Did I mention that my popcorn was really outstanding?

hmmmmm, I might go back, to get more popcorn, I wonder if I can get it to go?

Col. Detritch

Originally Posted by Montana Smith
I am so non-plussed about this movie. Wild horses wouldn't drag me to see it. Sometimes a film will just grab you and not let go, and other times it just holds nothing of interest. If it was on TV right now I wouldn't feel compelled to see it. What I've seen in 2D in promotions on TV just leaves me thinking: "what's the big fuss?"

I can't explain why that is.

You know what Montana... I totally agree! It's as if the film is so popular because of the amazing CGI and not the story. I don't know why but it bothers me that this film is so loved... but for what, really? It's all hype! Maybe if the film was recognised for something else aswell I might be less put off. :(

I am however going to see it... only because in a decade, weather it was a good or bad film story wise, people are going to say: "did you see Avatar!" No matter what it's going to be like Star Wars, in the sense of- it was ground breaking and a part of film history.;) Who knows, I might like it in the end anyway!

P.S. I?ve heard the CGI makes you a little dizzy. Is that true?:hat:

TheMutt92

Col. Detritch said:
You know what Montana... I totally agree! It's as if the film is so popular because of the amazing CGI and not the story. I don't know why but it bothers me that this film is so loved... but for what, really? It's all hype! Maybe if the film was recognised for something else aswell I might be less put off. :(

I am however going to see it... only because in a decade, weather it was a good or bad film story wise, people are going to say: "did you see Avatar!" No matter what it's going to be like Star Wars, in the sense of- it was ground breaking and a part of film history.;) Who knows, I might like it in the end anyway!

P.S. I?ve heard the CGI makes you a little dizzy. Is that true?:hat:

I think the reason its become so popular isn't neccessarily JUST because of the CGI, 3D, or story, but because its just overall such an immersive experience.

And as for the dizzy CG, I'm pretty sure I heard its something to do w/ the 3D and that it only affects a minority of viewers.

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Officially bigger than Raiders on the adjusted chart... Will it take Star Wars 6 and 5 before Alice in Wonderland takes the 3D screens?

Finally, with a one month delay approximately, I've seen the movie again tonight. This time not in 3D.
I can absolutely confirm what I was already inclined to think.

Avatar still kicks a** as I was expecting, even in the complete absence of stereoscopy. The sense of depth in the perspective of the long shots is impressive in any case.
Cinematography on this movie is really a killer one!! Thumbs up!! (y)

kongisking said:
The Stranger, I'm very happy to hear that you loved AVATAR. Yet another victim of James Cameron's hypnotizing talent!

You bet!! (y)

Ajax the Great

I think this is Cameron's best work...but I'm not a big fan of his, so that isn't saying much. The film is beautifully imagined but poorly executed. We've heard all the criticisms about the unoriginal plot, all of which I agree with, but I have a few more.

The characters are horrendously one dimensional. We never feel a real character progression with Sully; he just changes his mind and sides with the Natives. The general and businessman are so cliche'd that it isn't even funny. Cameron's actual writing is so poor - the good guys are instantly lovable and the bad guys are really mean. There's not a shred of real humanity or moral progression in the film, almost dumbing it down.

Plus the film buys into the ridiculous Western notion of colonialism. The industrialized mean-spirited jerks come in and find themselves up against a passionate group of natives, who are at "one" with nature and through their spirituality and almost magical qualities rise up against the baddies and take them down, despite major technological disadvantages.

Worse, the film reeks of roads not taken. There is that ecological commentary that does add a bit of depth, but the focus is really on the love story. This premise had so much potential to be a deeper and more important film. A political commentary, or an economic one would have been great. Or how about the psychological toll the Avatar takes on Sully? They briefly address this, but only briefly.

I actually wish that the humans won at the end instead of the natives. Not out of mean-spiritedness, but because it would have made the film's message so much more powerful and mature. I just can't help but think how much better Avatar could have been in the hands of a better writer. Cameron's a great idea-man, just like George Lucas, but he shouldn't put his pen to paper.

The film actually isn't bad, even though I've ranted about it. I just can't stand the hype around it, so I feel like I need to be extra-critical to talk about it.

I'm curious about what people thought about Avatar's Cinematography win at the Oscars. I was actually really annoyed by that. Avatar is amazing to look at, but wasn't it almost completely CGI? Didn't they get their recognition with visual effects and art direction?

Ajax the Great

indyrcks said:
I take that you didn't like Avatar that much:confused:

Whatever gave you that idea...;)

It was a good movie in terms of entertainment value, despite the relative familiarity of the story. I credit the imagination behind Pandora and the visuals for that. But as a movie trying to be something more and carry a message, it ultimately failed. I just don't think it was powerful enough. But it is a a solid piece of entertainment and I think it tops just about all of Cameron's work.