The Raven Adventurers: New Begining

Tom Jones

?You wouldn't believe it but I've seen this place in worse shape over the years.? Tom brushed off the snow clinging to his gear and walked instinctively toward the warmth of the fireplace. Holding his hands as close to the flames as he dared he tired to eradicate the numbness that had devolved in them.

KDuncan

Although KDuncan was wearing gloves, her hands were also freezing. She came up next to Tom and appreciated the warmth coming from the fire. "Yeah," she said finanlly, "I can imagine how this place could be in worse shape -- keeping in mind that Grenade Lady has been here before!"

Tom Jones

Desiring to be as close to the heat as possible Tom leaned toward a table and grabbed three chairs. Setting them down in front of the fireplace he eased into one and rested his hands on top of his legs. ?Too bad this can?t last forever...? Jones caught KDuncan?s eye and stammered. ?The?ah?warmth I mean. Sometime we?re going to have to go back out there again.?

Tom Jones

?As soon as that blizzard ends outside.? Tom took off his fedora and tossed it on top of a table. Running his hand through his thick golden brown hair he added, ?I'm hoping that we can take a plane from that airfield and fly it out of here.?

KDuncan

"Sounds good. Before we leave, we should probably have a parting coffee or something, too.." she commented. "Know where the coffee is?"

Tom Jones

?There should still be some left from before...? Jones got up and grabbed three mugs, pouring the black liquid into them. Sliding back into his chair he handed KDuncan and Ben a mug. ?Looks like we have this place to ourselves for the time being. I don't see Marion anywhere, must be sleeping.?

KDuncan

KDuncan put some cream and sugar in the cup, after thanking Tom and searching for the sugar on a shelf. "Yeah," she agreed, "Marion must be sleeping -- if I weren't so darned cold still, I might feel inclined to do so myself.. if I could, considering all of what happened..."

Tom Jones

Tom twisted the coffee mug around in his hands, staring into the dark liquid. ?You should have been here when those Russian soldiers were attacking the bar. That was a lot of fun.? Jones shifted in the wooden chair and took a sip from the mug. Glancing over to the woman across from him he smiled, wondering if she had forgotten that she still had his jacket around her shoulders. ?Ben and me took care of them though, they weren?t as hard to put away as I thought they?d be.?

Magda

Back at the airfield, while the three men introduced themselves, Ameera rose from the sofa and made her way through a door that led into the living quarters. She returned a moment or two later toting a rifle and a determined expression. There was absolutely no telling when the storm would be over; in Nepal, they lasted anywhere from a few hours to a few days. There was the second door to keep them relatively comfortable during the duration of the blinding blizzard. On the other hand, Ameera rejected the idea of being in the company of at least two men she was not very fond of at the moment.

?Where are you going with that?? Eddie asked as he watched Ameera making her way towards the door with her jacket fully zipped up and his rifle in her possession.

?I?m walking to Kathmandu,? she said sarcastically.

In actuality, she had no intentions to attempt to traipse over two hundred miles of mountainous terrain in freezing temperatures and unforgivable winds to get to the Nepalese capital. She wasn?t stupid or crazy enough.

Eddie rolled his eyes and shook his head, ?Yeah, right.?

?Watch me,? Ameera mumbled. With that, she walked past Deadlock and Paden, soon disappearing out the doorway into the blizzard.

KDuncan

KDuncan grinned. "You're right!" she excaimed in sudden good humor, "That does sound like fun! You say Ben helped..? I thought you did solo work?"

Tom Jones

Tom shrugged his shoulders. ?Ben just happened to be in the right place at the right time. I needed a favor and he accepted?well, at the time he really didn?t have a choice.? Jones chuckled and slapped Ben on his arm. ?But after I came back from Mongolia it seemed that him and me were somehow connected to this medallion.? Tom unbuttoned his shirt and grabbed the crimson stone that hung from around his neck. Taking it off he handed it to KDuncan and sighed. ?I decided to find out just what that connection was.?

KDuncan

"Yep," KDuncan said, studying the medallion, "I guess that's where I came in, with that other half of the stone and all. Say, did this thing ever start glowing?"

Tom Jones

?You should really ask Ben about that one sweetheart. For as long as I?ve held onto it, the thing?s only glowed once for me.? Tom turned in his chair and pointed toward the still gloomy looking cellar. ?And that was when I was down in the cellar and you were saving Marion.? Rubbing his eyes he mumbled, ?I don?t really remember much of what happened after I grabbed that stone obelisk from out of the hole. But whatever happened to me did something to my arm...because it?s all healed now, the gunshot wound?s completely gone.?

KDuncan

"Yeah, I remember that.." KDuncan said slowly. "I guess it has healing properties.. what else do you suppose it does? I may know where the other half is, but I'll be darned if I actually really know what they do."

Tom Jones

Tom?s gaze shifted to Ben as he responded, ?I saw Ben shooting lightening from it?actually killed a man too.? Jones then smiled and added, ?don?t worry though he wasn?t one of the good guys.?

KDuncan

"Cool! How long had Ben had it? I seem to forget how you even came to posess it.. hmm.." KDuncan said thoughtfully.

"Not very long. Tom left it with me when he stopped here just a couple of days ago. Wanted me to keep it safe. And then things started getting weird." Ben shuddered, remembering how that thing had seemed to put something in him. It hadn't hurt, but it was very eerie--the whole thing.

Paden

A memory flickered through Paden's mind, sharp like a fragment of glass. The bodies of four men, a communications crew, ill-prepared and overconfident, their bodies scattered along a rocky trail in the Urals, each covered in a heavy blanket of snow. He recognized that the Arab woman wanted to get away from the mercenary's company. Clearly there was some unpleasant water under the bridge between those two. But risking one's neck in a Himalayan blizzard, with minimal supplies, did not equate to a wise course of action. Perhaps she was just headed into the village, but in a white-out like the blizzard was becoming, one could still lose their way.

Paden's gray eyes studied the two men. "Either of you know if she's got any idea about how to survive out there?" There was no immediate response. Paden sighed. "Figures," he muttered as he turned toward the door.

Deadlock

"...I was just passing through."

"Are you kidding me, man?" Deadlock almost laughed out loud at this response from Paden, "The Himalayas aren't on the way to ANYWHERE! This is one of the least accessible spots on the whole frickin' planet. If you're here, you're here ON PURPOSE."

As Ameera headed toward the door, Deadlock grinned and shook his head, "I'm not going to pry into your business. But seriously... you need a new cover story."

Ameera exited and though Deadlock was mystified by her actions, but had no intention of following her out into the storm. His confusion was interrupted by Paden's question.

"Either of you know if she's got any idea about how to survive out there?"

"I have no idea. I?m not a wilderness expert, but I?m pretty sure 'shelter' is the only way to survive with the conditions being what they are." Deadlock shrugged, "She?s a big girl."

The sniper turned from Paden to Eddie, "So you?re a pilot, huh? I assume Ameera was trying to get a ticket out of here... got room for one more?"