The serious Indy book writing thread...

adventure_al

Ok so following on from '3 word game' I thought collectively we could write a story using the same idea. I posted in open discussion because I don't see this as a game; more of a project. I will probably re-write this into an Indiana Jones fan story (with credit where due;) ) if it goes successfully so I hope everyone leaves the sillyness out because I would really like for this to be taken seriously. If your not interested please don't post!

This could be a true Indy FAN story, even if only a handful of us check back regularly to add a bit more.

I was thinking each time you add to the story you can add no more than 50 words.

heres my out-line for the story to get things rolling:

it's going to be called Indiana Jones and the Eye of Horus

the year is 1931 and rumour has it in light of a recently discoved stone tablet the Nazis, who are trying to establish german forces to what they once were, are looking for a secret weapon. Ancient Egyptian Legend tells of the Eye of Horus, no one is completely sure of what it is but it is said to have Supernatural healing powers. If this falls into the wrong hands it could have devastating concequences! Indy who has been mailed a print of the tablet knows he must get to it first. So as one of the worlds great treasures isn't lost forever!

any comments or suggestions? my story idea is no doubted flawed so once everyones happy we can get started...

Katarn07

You shouldn't do it about Indy. You should write it about Forrestal on one of his earlier exploits. Indy could have a cameo if someone chooses, but I find most people can't capture the Indy character in their writings and that turns me off. Forrestal is fresh material and no one can get his characterization wrong. It'd be more interesting of a read and more fun to write. Just my .02 ;)

adventure_al

Funny you should say that. I was actually going to write it about my own character. Came up with the name Crawford Cameron (Ford for short- Ford Cameron and the Eye Of Horus) and have a few ideas for it.

but It is obviously heavily inspired by indy and I didn't want people to think it was too much of a rip off.

I was hoping people would take part in this thread for ideas either way.

Thanks for your input (y)

No Ticket

If I was to participate... heck, I'd want it to be about Indy. It only interests me really if it is. And I would take it seriously, because I thought about posting something along these lines awhile back myself. Sooo you should really make a definite decision on that so we can get this going.

Katarn07

adventure_al said:
Funny you should say that. I was actually going to write it about my own character. Came up with the name Crawford Cameron (Ford for short- Ford Cameron and the Eye Of Horus) and have a few ideas for it.

but It is obviously heavily inspired by indy and I didn't want people to think it was too much of a rip off.

I was hoping people would take part in this thread for ideas either way.

Thanks for your input (y)

Dude, just go with that. I started writing in 6th grade about Star Wars characters and quickly realized writing in someone else's universe is limiting. Doing your own thing is so much more liberating! I might participate. Just get this ball (or should I say giant boulder?) rolling though so more people can join in.

adventure_al

No Ticket said:
If I was to participate... heck, I'd want it to be about Indy. It only interests me really if it is. And I would take it seriously, because I thought about posting something along these lines awhile back myself. Sooo you should really make a definite decision on that so we can get this going.

now its 50/50 :confused:

i don't mind either way to be honest. I just would like a few people to join in!

its just a name after all! either way its still going to be a male, treasure-seeking, rugged,adventure type. so shall we say indy for the sake of this being an indy message board? I can edit if i want to later on. think you still might be interested katarn07?

but dont feel too restricted by the indy character and traits, this is only inspired by indy. if you want to express a bit of artistic freedom feel free.

leave a post if everyones happy with that?

i'll check back tomorrow or so. If everything is A-ok i'll get to work on the opening passage!

[in the meantime new board members and comments more than welcome!]

adventure_al

herr gruber said:
No jokes about breaking wind, then?

im not saying don't put any humour in it i just dont want it to be ridiculous.

i have actually got a few good ideas and will type up opening passage shortly, i've just not had the time.

adventure_al

The Eye Of Horus

Ford gazed through the haze, as he expelled the last breath of smoke from his lungs, at the envelope which had landed on the floor. It was addressed to:
Mr Crawford Roberts. He picked it up and tossed it aside, on the table in the lobby.

Lethargically walking towards the sitting room, stopping, then delving into the pocket, of his charcoal grey woolen jacket, he opened a fresh packet of cigarettes. Plucking the collectors card from the packet, he laughed; 'Treasures of Britain'. Maybe they'd all been found already? because he sure hadn't had any luck.

Sinking back into his seat he strikes a match and takes a long draw of his cigarette. His eyes roll back into his head as he is lost in thought:
"Have you heard of Bartholomew Roberts? one of the most successful prirates to sail the seas!" he recalled an old tale his Grandfather used to tell him. Apparently he was a distant relation of Black Bart. As he grew older he never cared for that story much, none of his family were even welsh. He clung more tighly to his Scottish hertitage- Clan Robertson. Their motto was "Virtutis gloria merces" or "Glory is the reward of valour" he believed that.

The pirate tale however would explain his desire for treasure hunting. Although there was one main difference. He didn't want the treasure for himself. Ford had always loved history, the reason he had taken up a summer archaeology course at London University in 1925, and he had always remembered a certain Dr Jones telling them thats these artifacts "belong in a museum".
After the summer school he came back north to study. Ford didn't like it, the Professors here weren't like the charasmatic Dr Jones- he loved his stories. He felt too restricted by the pain staking processes they went through, he was impatient; he wanted adventure! After just over a year he left and went in search of something exciting on his own.

His last treasure seeking excursion was unsuccessful. Ford had managed to get involved as part of an archaeology team searching for the Loch Arkaig treasure or The Jacobite Gold as it was also known. Spain had sent ships full of gold to finance the Jacobite uprising in Scotland in 1745. However this gold went missing and was believe to be around Loch Arkaig. Other than a few odd spanish coins they had found nothing.

Once that had finished he had returned home. He held a few jobs and had been involved in various low-key archaeological digs in the last few years but his fantasies of adventure got the better of him. He'd left his last job days ago. He had been trying to keep himself busy but was growing tired of not doing anything. He glanced at the cigarette card he'd laid on the arm of the chair, smirking he thought, what a lame way to try and get people to buy cigarettes. It was not as bad as some of the American brands advertising campaigns- "I'd walk a mile for a Camel". Little did he know that would become more relavent to him than he could imagine, in the not so distant furture...

Last edited:

Katarn07

The phone on the end table beside his chair startled him from his relaxed stated. Could that finally be Everett? Everett was one of the project leaders of the Loch Arkaig expedition. Ford had never met the man until that job but he had taken an instant liking to him. Everett had his share of tales in the spirit of Professor Jones?, though Ford always got the feeling these particular tales were a bit embellished. Nonetheless, the two had become friends and had shared several drinks since. The last time they had spoken was nearly a month ago and Everett said he had a lead to the biggest job of his career. He promised to contact Ford if anything materialized.

Ford took a long drag from his cigarette before plucking it from his lips. He picked up the receiver.

"Hello?" Ford answered trying to mask his eagerness.

"Hello, Crawford," a woman's voice responded.

Ford let out a sigh of disappointment and put the cigarette back in his mouth. It bobbed up and down as he spoke, "Oh, Beth, it's just you."

"Just me?" Beth Porter replied with a laugh. "Oh my dear Crawford, what exactly is that supposed to mean?"

"No, no. I didn't mean it like that," Ford responded. He took a second to gather his thoughts before continuing, "I was expecting someone else, that's all."

"Not another woman I hope. You promised me dinner tonight."

Ford froze. He smashed the cigarette into an ashtray and finally replied, "I did?"

"Don't tell me you forgot.... again." Any playfulness Beth had in her voice thus far had disappeared. Ford knew he was in trouble now.

"I didn't forget," he started. "I just lost track of time--"

"You know what, Crawford Roberts? I don't want to hear it. We're done."

"Wait, Beth!" Ford frantically replied. But it was too late. She had already hung up the phone.

Ford let the receiver drop from his hand and into its proper place. He wasn?t mad at her. He was mad at himself. He was surprised it had taken her so long to do something so rash. He and Beth had been seeing each other for the past year, but with Ford?s constant travels, they had hardly ever spent time together. And even when Ford was at home, he often times forgot about their plans and stood her up. How could he be mad at her?

His eyes wandered to the collector card for a third time. He picked it up and stared at it for what seemed an eternity. He then tore it in half and let it fall into the ashtray before getting up and heading off to bed....

adventure_al

He fell into a deep sleep. It was not until late the following morning he awoke. Looking at his watch on the bed side cabinet he saw it was almost midday. The shrill ringing from telephone, which had wakened him, rang on. He jumped up and hurried through to answer it:

"Ford? Ford! are you there man?!" the voice snapped out of the phone.

"Everett?" replied Ford rubbing his eyes.

"Yes it's me! I'm on to it! This could be the find of a lifetime!"

Confused Ford answered: "Why what have you found?"

"Crivvens boy! didn't you get my letter? I've no time to explain I need you at the University in London the day after tomorrow!" the phone went dead.

Ford suddenly remembered the letter from the previous day. How foolish, he'd cast it off as unimportant. Probably just an old landlord chasing up some overdue rent. Now he rushed through to the lobby, picking it up along with the letter opener, he carefully tore along the top. Peering inside he saw two pieces of paper one was a short letter from Everett the other a print, of what? He wasn't sure.

He unfolded it, it was quite large. There were various blotches of ink covering the page. One thing he did notice was what appeared to be the Eye of Horus reoccuring through out. It must be Egyptian. He couldnt make out much more and what he knew of hieroglyphs he had mostly learnt from Beth.

There wasn't a moment to waste. He sensed adventure and discovery. What ever it was he wanted to be a part of it. He rushed to get his stuff ready.

Finding his 'Salt and Pepper' rucksack- swiss made, It was tough and durable. It had seen him through more than one expedition. He took a change of clothes and pushed to the bottom. Moving over to his bedside cabinet he lifted his watch and strapped it to his wrist. Proceeding he opened the drawer and removed a Webley revolver .45, it wasn't the most accurate weapon but it packed a punch at close range, it had belonged to his father- he had been a war hero. Ford hadn't been involved in the first world war but soon after he had joined the army and served for a few years. Due to the turmoil caused by the war Ford hadn't been involved in any major conflicts but at least he'd learnt how to shoot.

Moving through to the kitchen he rustled up some provisions. Then filling his hip flask with scotch. He placed them into the top of his bag...

Katarn07

It wasn’t until the doorbell rang for a third time that Beth opened her eyes. She squinted at the gold pocket watch that lay atop her nightstand as she felt the tabletop’s surface for her glasses. After sliding them on, the hands and numbers on the clock face became focused. She let out a groan and let her head fall back onto the pillow. It was already 11:38, over three hours after she normally got up and she was still tired. She hadn't gotten any sleep last night. The doorbell rang a fourth time.

“I’m coming, I’m coming,” Beth muttered under her breath as she rolled out of bed. She wrestled into a pair of pants she snatched off the floor as her eyes surveyed the room in search of a shirt. As she slipped one on, the bell rang a fifth time. She couldn’t help but shout in frustration, “I’m coming, damn it!”

She stumbled to the front door and opened it. Daylight flooded in and blinded her for a moment. It took a moment for her eyes to adjust. When they did she was left nearly speechless. "Crawford?"

"Hello, Beth," Ford said as he offered her a bouquet of flowers. She took them and looked at them for a moment and then back to Ford.

"You've never gotten me flowers," she said as she stepped aside and let Ford in. She left the room for a vase for the flowers as she asked, "What's the occasion?"

"I came to apologize for last night," Ford started as he shut the door behind him. Beth didn't respond so he decided to continue, "Not just for last night. I've come to apologize to you for everything."

"You've never apologized either," Beth said as she came back with the flowers now arranged in an ancient Greek clay pot. She set it on the table and turned her attention back to Ford, "I mean really apologized. What do you want?"

Ford hesitated. He threw his arms up in defeat and nodded, "Alright, I'm going to level with you. I finally got the job I've been waiting for."

"Great. Now you can run off on your adventure and leave me alone with these flowers," she said. She pointed to the pot that held the flowers and continued, "You made it clear that these little trinkets are more important to you than I am!"

Ford didn't respond. He knew in his heart that was true. He had to stop lying to both her and himself. He nodded slowly and carefully responded, "I do care for you Beth. I'm just not the romantic type is all. I don't know what you want from me so I you gotta admit it's pretty hard to deliver."

Beth didn't reply. Her eyes were glazed over with tears as she stared at him. Her lower lip quivered for a moment before she bit down on it. Ford turned away from her and produced the print from his pocket, "I said I had a job, but I need your help."

Beth looked down at the print and almost forgot her anger towards Ford, "Where'd you get this?"

"It was mailed to me. And don't ask me anymore questions because I'm pretty much in the dark too. But I figured you could at least help me read this."

Beth turned to him and gave back the print, "You could read this on your own if you really wanted to."

Ford nodded, "Yeah, probably. But I want you to help me. If you'd be willing to give me a second chance."

Beth turned to him. She gave him a half smile and cocked an eyebrow, "Second chance? Oh Crawford Roberts, we're well past the second chance. I've lost track how many chances I've given you after you screw up."

Ford could never tell when Beth was joking or being serious. He waited for a moment to find out.

She laughed and nodded, "Yeah, alright. I'll give you another chance. But this is it, Crawford. If you blow it this time, it's over for good. Got it?"

Ford nodded and stuffed the print back into his pocket. He just noticed what a mess Beth was in and smiled, "Uhh, you might want to put yourself together. We need to leave as soon as possible."

"Where are we going?" Beth asked as she left for her bedroom to put herself together.

"London."

adventure_al

As Beth hurried off to get ready, Ford brewed some tea. As he supped from his cup he studied the print once more.

A short while latter Beth appeared. Ford looked up at her. Her piercing blue eyes peered back at him through the lenses of her thick spectacles, ringlets of her thick brown hair rolled down either side of the frame. She wore a silk neck scarf and a long jacket over a plain shirt and cardigan. She wasn't seductively good looking but she carried of an air of intellectual elegance which Ford found irresistable. She carried a leather satchel and handed Ford a duffel bag.

"Do me a favour... "

Ford took hold of the bag sighing. He knew he had alot of making up to do.

"So what's the plan now Crawford?" enquired Beth.

Plan, Ford wasn't good with plans.

"Well we better head to the station."

Arriving at Waverley station for the train from Edinburgh to London. They walked down the steep stone steps and into the station. They both looked up at its domed ceiling, where wreathed cherubs leapt amid a wealth of scrolled ironwork. There was a distinct smell of smoke and oil as they entered futher into the busling station. They approached the ticket office:

"Two tickets to London please. When is the next train?"

"If you're quick you might catch it, There is one due to leave now" replied the operator calmly as he handed over the tickets taking the money. Ford snatched the tickets as he turned away from the booth.

"Which platform?!"

"Two"

That was is, they were off tearing across the station. Ford grabbed Beths arm barely letting her feet touch the ground. He heard the whistle blow loudly as they reached the platform where a huge metal monster of a train waited, snorting like a huge bull ready to charge. Ford grabbed the passenger rail and swung Beth onto the train as it began to pull away. His feet skipped along the platform as the train gained momentum before pulling himself onboard. They were on their way...

Last edited:

adventure_al

They looked out at the towering castle rock as they left the station. They managed to find some seats. Pushing their bags into the overhead racking they sat down and got comfortable.

"So..." said Beth eagerly prodding Ford.

"So what?" replied a puzzled Ford.

"Let me see it then, for a closer look!" she encouraged.

"No, no we cant. Not here. I don't know what were onto. Best wait until Everett explains. He said it was a find of a life time"

"Oh Crawford, you've told me this Mr Everett is prone to exageration before. There is no harm in looking" her hand reached round towards Ford's pocket as she spoke.

"Um, so how about a sandwich?" said Ford, standing up hastily and reaching for his bag.

Beth saw there was no use arguing. From experience she knew Ford was stubborn.

He sat back down. To her suprise, with the cover of his rucksack, he half unfolded the print.

"Ok Beth, I need your help" Ford whispered. He paused then continued:

"I need you to tell me what this is. What ever it is I need to show Everett I'm the man for the job"

Beth nodded. Talking hold of the paper she was careful to conceal it.

"It looks like some sort of transfer from a stone engraving. Maybe from a pillar or monument? There is alot of ink blots I can't make some of it out"

"Did you notice the eye of Horus" Ford chirped in,...

[more to come once I get my ideas properly sorted out but if anyone wants to add more go ahead, it would be great to get more imput on the story]

Katarn07

Beth didn't have time to respond. A knock sounded on the door and Ford's instincts told him to push the print back into his rucksack. "Yes?" they asked in unison.

"Tickets, please," a voice with a thick German accent replied.

Beth reached for the rucksack as Ford got up to get the door, but he pulled it away from her and threw it on the seat opposite of her. "Not now," he hissed through clenched teeth. Beth complied and sat back in her seat.

?Sorry for the intrusion,? the German conductor apologized and then held out his hand, ?You both came on in such a hurry. May I see your tickets??

?Of course,? Ford said turning around to collect the tickets from the rucksack. He didn?t see the pistol butt coming down on him with his back turned to the conductor. He collapsed instantly. Beth jumped from her seat but froze in her tracks as the imposing German conductor trained his Luger P08 on her. The door shut behind him and she heard the lock latch. He frowned, ?Please, fraulein. Don?t try anything we'll all regret.?

Ford slowly got up as he clutched the spot where his skull and neck met. He was lucky that the man?s attack hadn?t broken his neck! He counted himself lucky to be able to stand once more, but he knew he and Beth weren?t out of danger yet. A strange man much larger than he stood between them and their only escape with a gun trained on them. Ford wished he could say he had been in tighter spots before, but his mind was drawing a blank at the moment.

?I do apologize for such a brutal greeting, Mr. Roberts,? the German man genuinely apologized, "I don't want any further violence. Give me the Horus transcription and I'll be on my way. I'd advise the two of you get off at the next station and turn back while you still can."

The German man gestured to the rucksack with his gun. Ford returned the German's gaze for a moment and then turned to Beth. He had never seen her so pale before. He turned to the rucksack and reached inside....

adventure_al

Ford held his bag

"slowly now Mr Roberts, we don't want any bloodshed now do we?"

Ford felt the handle of his Webley in the bag. Inside he was furious, the angry welled up inside him. He thought of whipping it out and blowing their german friend into pieces. However he knew better than to pack a loaded gun in a rucksack. He knew it was no use putting up a fight, besides a fight would surely attract attention and he didn't want that. Least of all a night in the cells, he had no time to waste! He smothered his characteristic defiance and grudgingly handed the man the piece of paper.

"thank you for your co-operation Mr Roberts. Remember next stop, for the sake of yourself and the lady"

The large figure backed out of the door and turned down the corridor, his eyes constantly watching Ford until he was out of sight.

Ford cursed under his breath. What were they to do now? he wondered.

"Crawford are you ok?" said Beth wrapping our arms.

"I'll live" snapped a frustrated Roberts.

"What are we going to do now Beth?!" He stood, clearly aggitated.

"Get off at the next stop surely?" said her voice quivering.

"No way this must be something big! what was on the paper!?"

Beth knew she had to pull her self together. They both sat back down. After a moments silience Beth began to speak:

"From what I saw it spoke of the ancient Egyptian Gods and a great battle. The eye of Horus was reoccuring through-out because it supposedly has great healing powers. Small metal plates with it's symbol were often wrapped among the bandages during mummification. My interpretation was that whoever could weald it's power would in effect become invincible."

"Well maybe that would explain why that crackpot German wanted to get his grubby paws onto it. What else was there?"

"Thats all I got, the rest was either blotted out or I never got a chance for a proper look" she explained.

They were approaching the next stop. The train pulled in to the station. They looked out at the sign which read York. They were around halfway to London. As they cautiously looked out of the window they saw the long sweeping black overcoat and dark hat which covered a broad figure, it cut a large silhouette and stood out from the rest of the passengers leaving the train. It must have been the gunman. Ford saw no reason now to leave the train now. For the rest of the journey they sat in near silience...

Katarn07

Ford slowly lifted his eyelids from their dreary rest. He started to look around the cabin but winced instantly at the pain he felt in his head and neck. Beth rushed to his side and looked relieved, "Thank God you're awake. You really shouldn't have gone to sleep. You might have a concussion."

"I'll live," Ford reiterated. Instincts told him to push her away but he submitted to her as she grabbed his neck. She dug her fingers into his tense muscles in a therapeutic way he had never experienced. The throbbing pain in his head was still present, but at least he could turn his head side to side. Sort of. It was a start at least. After a moment, he carefully slipped away from Beth's hands and looked out the window. "Where are we?"

"Next stop's London. You were out for quite a while," she said.

Ford looked at her. She still had not regained any of her color since their run in with the gunman. Ford rubbed his temples with his fingers and apologized, "Sorry for concerning you so much. You should have gotten off at that stop. You did your part and I'm grateful. If you want to get on a train and head back, I won't think any--"

"Crawford Roberts," Beth smiled, "I finally am out seeing the world with you. And you're definitely on one of those adventures you've been dreaming of having. We're both having a great time together. There's no way I'm turning back now."

Ford smiled and attempted to nod but stopped after a jolt of agony shot through his neck. Before he could say anything, the train screeched to a stop. They were in London....