Outlaw Foie Gras

"when they listen to radicals"
So people who care about the ethical treatment of animals, and maintaining the planets bio-diversity are automatically tarred with the epithet, "radical"?

And turtle soup is o.k.? (sure, if it's made from turtles NOT on the verge of extinction)

Why don't you try some black rhino steak? Oh... that's right... poachers already killed the last one.... I'll wager they made soup from at least part of it.....

roundshort

ClintonHammond said:
"when they listen to radicals"
So people who care about the ethical treatment of animals, and maintaining the planets bio-diversity are automatically tarred with the epithet, "radical"?

And turtle soup is o.k.? (sure, if it's made from turtles NOT on the verge of extinction)

Why don't you try some black rhino steak? Oh... that's right... poachers already killed the last one.... I'll wager they made soup from at least part of it.....

Like I said before, I am not in favor of any naimal being hunted to extinction. I actually spent a day with anti-poacher hunters in Botswana. It was awesome I was out of the corps, so it was funt o pack soem heat. I had a dream of being an anti-poacher hunter in Africa, but the Governement said NO WAY to an American doing. We tend to always havea spot light on us.

Last time I check ducks and Geese are not in danger of disapperaing, except in my tummy!

Why lable them radical, well lets look at the facts,

When animal-rights activits vandalized the home and under-cnstruction store of Laurent Manrique, co-owner of Auqa, one of the finest restaurants anywhere, because he served foie gras. His house was broken into, spray-painted red, thrown acid on his and his wife's car, ruined a Buddha Statue in his yard , wrote Murderer, Go Back Home, etc. AND left a videotape behind which showed footage of his wife and 2 year old in his home garden . .
Then broke into the store-restaurant "Sonoma Saveurs, spray painted the walls, flooded the historic adobe building, ruining his store and his neighbors store . . .

Well, I will call that radical, you?

Last edited:

roundshort

temple of john said:
(reading in between bites of my Passenger Pidgeon salad)...

LOL, in America, we call Pidgeon Squab . . .and it is my favorite of all birds, and yes I know it is basiclly a rat with wings, but yummmmmmmy

Doc Savage

temple of john said:
(reading in between bites of my Passenger Pidgeon salad)...
ToJ, that was classic.

I'm an animal lover. That being said, "meat's for the belly, and the belly for meat," to quote Paul of Tarsus. Would I eat mountain lion or bear? No...they'd have to taste awful. Carnivores and omnivores generally do. Would I hunt a bear or mountain lion? Not unless it endangered me or mine.

But to stay on topic, the government has no right to dictate whether or not I eat goose liver. It does, however, have the right to see to it that no one drowns a duck in cognac.

"I will call that radical"

I've seen people step over a member of their own species, layign in the streen in a pool of his own filth to throw paint on a woman wearing a coat that later turned out to be FAKE fur.... I'm not saying that there aren't people out there who take things too far.... These people are NOT the 'majority'

I do however agree that someone needs to make sure that no.... ummm... how did Doc S put it.... "no one drowns a duck in cognac"

roundshort

ClintonHammond said:
It might not be meant to be taken completely literally ToJ....

Heh

Realy they do. Something about the animal grasping for air, fills it's cavity with cognac, much better than if injected after it is dead. Then whent he roast the fowl, the rich congnac notes fill the meat fromt he inside in. This dish goes back a long time. Like I said, I won't eat it again, but ya have to try it once, like green eggs and ham . . .

Doc Savage

roundshort said:
Realy they do. Something about the animal grasping for air, fills it's cavity with cognac, much better than if injected after it is dead. Then whent he roast the fowl, the rich congnac notes fill the meat fromt he inside in. This dish goes back a long time. Like I said, I won't eat it again, but ya have to try it once, like green eggs and ham . . .
They feed snails garlic to flavor them. Couldn't they find a more humane way to inebriate a duck?

ClintonHammond said:
I've seen people step over a member of their own species, layign in the streen in a pool of his own filth to throw paint on a woman wearing a coat that later turned out to be FAKE fur....

Those are the ones I'd (briefly) entertain throwing a bucket of honey on, staking out in the woods, and letting them experience first-hand that the animals don't share their sentiments.

roundshort

Doc Savage said:
They feed snails garlic to flavor them. Couldn't they find a more humane way to inebriate a duck?

Those are the ones I'd (briefly) entertain throwing a bucket of honey on, staking out in the woods, and letting them experience first-hand that the animals don't share their sentiments.

Ya know doc, you would think they could, and by know maybe they do. But Iwas told by one of the long time servers there, that is how it is best. I love the passion the French have for thier food. I love the passon the Itialins have for eating their food. I am learning that many of the Asian cultures are just aas passionate, esp. the Japanese, Chinese, and the Vietnamiese. That is the one country I really want to go and eat in. I am sure they have some prepartion methods that make Foie seem silly!

Doc Savage

roundshort said:
Ya know doc, you would think they could, and by know maybe they do. But Iwas told by one of the long time servers there, that is how it is best. I love the passion the French have for thier food. I love the passon the Itialins have for eating their food. I am learning that many of the Asian cultures are just aas passionate, esp. the Japanese, Chinese, and the Vietnamiese. That is the one country I really want to go and eat in. I am sure they have some prepartion methods that make Foie seem silly!
They eat scorpions in China. My kind of people. As for Japan, the culture's always fascinated me. The language is a work of art. The women are some of the most beautiful on the planet, and the men are the most industrious. I question, however, the wisdom of eating raw fish. I did have some wasabi flavored almonds once. Feeling like you've been maced in the face never tasted so good.

roundshort

Doc Savage said:
They eat scorpions in China. My kind of people. As for Japan, the culture's always fascinated me. The language is a work of art. The women are some of the most beautiful on the planet, and the men are the most industrious. I question, however, the wisdom of eating raw fish. I did have some wasabi flavored almonds once. Feeling like you've been maced in the face never tasted so good.

Raw fish becomes a serious addiction. I used to like eating the yummy rolls, but my god, with some of the great citrus basaed sauces or even just raw lime juice, some of the most amazing flavors I have had this dish twice now, once in Maui and once in Southern Cal, but it is amazing, it is fresh, I mean like last hour caught fresh, Kona Kanpachi Sashimi, with EVO (extra virgin olive oil), fresh Fava Beans, hint of lime and red sea salt . . .wow, we had it with a 93 D'Arlot Nuits St. george Blanc, wow! You know they catch these fish with a hook, then bash their brains out . . .not too nice but yum!

Possibly the greatest of all fish to have sliced thin and with a bit of soy or olive oil, is Toro Ahi, the high fat content in this fish lets it melt in yoour mouth! The color is a deep red, which is a symbol for prosperity in Japanese culture, so it is very highly reguarded by great shushi chefs!

Mmmm... wasabi.... A nice tame heat. All attack... zero sustain.

I frequently snack on dried peas covered in wasabi powder.

There's a company in New York that makes wasabi-gelato... I wish they'd ship to Canada.

"Feeling like you've been maced in the face"
From wasabi? Hardly.... Try a good habanero! THAT'S tasty face-mace!

"Raw fish"
I'll take 2 please!

Doc Savage

ClintonHammond said:
I frequently snack on dried peas covered in wasabi powder.
Where would one acquire those? Sounds wonderful.
ClintonHammond said:
"Feeling like you've been maced in the face"
From wasabi? Hardly.... Try a good habanero! THAT'S tasty face-mace!
I had a Mexican gentleman stay with me and mi esposa for awhile. He ate habeneros like apples. I stood amazed. They reminded me of a sauce I tried once called Endorphin Rush. It lived up to it's name.
ClintonHammond said:
"Raw fish"
I'll take 2 please!
I'd have to meditate for an hour just to get past the look...but I'm intrigued now. May have to give it a try.

roundshort

also Dean and Deluca usually has these tye of things! My favorite gourmet store in the world. They have the best stuff!

roundshort

temple of john said:
This made me think of that scene from "Police Academy" when The guy who makes all the sounds is kung-fuing the thief who was beating up the Asian food grocer...

"Ahhh, not on bwocolli"

"Ahh, not on colifwower"

Temp I will get you some good foie when I am in Philly! I am sure the Ritz will have some!

Doc Savage

ClintonHammond said:
Any Asian Grocer worth his salt should have Wasabi Peas
We have one right up the road from my office...I know where I'm going after work.
ClintonHammond said:
Again, Google is my friend.... You should make it yours as well Doc
One of the problems with hyper-curiosity...I sometimes ask before thinking.

ClintonHammond said:
There is some very interesting science that suggests that Capsaicin might be mildly hallucinogenic.... That's one reason I love it so....
I feel a vision quest coming on...:p
In actuality, my wife suggested capsaicin for chronic pain I was having in my feet. As a former professional wrestler, I've had dislocations, concussions, and two shattered molars. I've been hit twice by cars. Whatever she rubbed on my feet dusted everything else. I look forward to cooking with it.