KotCS James Rollins novelization

Arab Swordsman

SKAbatula said:
I couldn't have picked anyone better! I'm a huge fan of James Rollins...Excavation & Sandstorm are really good action/adventure novels.

I like his older novels a bit more than the newer ones with the Sigma Squad.

otto rahn

JerryKing said:
So, Dr Czajkowski got the Indy gig! :D

Not a bad choice at all, though in all honesty I would probably prefer Alan Dean Foster or Max Allan Collins. (And I can't help but wonder how an Indy novel by Lincoln Child & Douglas Preston would turn out... at least if they wrote it in their classic style, without the lazy magic that has dulled their later works)

Hopefully, though, it's not signifying a change in Lucasarts' policies regarding writers' selection - because if they began basing their choices on "how many copies did X sell?", then, knock on wood, one day someone there might actually think of giving away Indy's name to be tainted by some antitallented, worthless cretin such as that plagiarist responsible for "Star Wars: Episode Medieval", better known as "Eragon"... or even - shudder - that parasite whose name I wish I could forget, "Matthew Reilly"... :sick:
My do you call Reilly a "parasite" ?:confused:

Perhilion

I think Matthew Riley is a great writer, especially with action scenes. Go read Temple. It is at least as good as any Indiana Jones book if not better, and it doesn't feel like a knock-off.

Ska

Arab Swordsman said:
I like his older novels a bit more than the newer ones with the Sigma Squad.

I 100% agree.

And about Matthew Reilly, Temple is a very good book...as is 7 Deadly Wonders (especially if you like elaborate booby traps).

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Being released next year seems to suggest to me that it is a completely new novel, not a novelization of the KOTCS movie. I remember someone posting something about McGregor's website saying that new Indy novels that he's written will be published. Maybe we're getting a new Indy novel series, in which case... YAY!!! (y) (y)

No Ticket

Violet Indy said:
Being released next year seems to suggest to me that it is a completely new novel, not a novelization of the KOTCS movie. I remember someone posting something about McGregor's website saying that new Indy novels that he's written will be published. Maybe we're getting a new Indy novel series, in which case... YAY!!! (y) (y)

This is the first I've heard of this, but I'm excited!! I agree, it's probably going to be a new series because right now they're going nuts with Indy merchandising. For all of you who are bothered by that, chill out, Indy's time in the spotlight will come and go. He hasn't had one like this in quite some time!!

I hope it's a new series and not just one book!

-Jones-

KotCS novelization SPOILERS!

Amber /Poland/ publishing house will publish /9th May/ the novelization of KotCS movie.

BEWARE! SPOILERS!!!!

Here's the short synopsis /quick translation/:

Year 1957. American archaeologists who are examining the Mayan temple are attacked by the soviet commandos. Russians murder the scientists and kidnap the head of the expedition - Dr. Indiana Jones. And that's how the new adventure of the famous archaeologist starts. Secret American base in Area 51, Nazca burial grounds, forgotten valley in Peru and the mysterious pyramid - there Indy fights with the insidious enemy. The stake is something greater that all wonders of the world...

|ZiR|

Nice find!

But I gotta ask: why the heck is Poland getting the novelization of KotCS as early as May 9th?! Is it the James Rollins book?

Hedwig

I had never heard about that 'Russians attack the archaeologists and kidnap Indy'-thing... But how do the Marshal college and Mutt get into the story? And the train. Not sure do I believe that or not... But that's a good find.:)

-Jones-

|ZiR| said:
Nice find!

But I gotta ask: why the heck is Poland getting the novelization of KotCS as early as May 9th?! Is it the James Rollins book?

45393401073KS.obr

Yep.

James Rollins, 232 pages.

It's quite normal, novelizations are always published before the premiere ;).

nitzsche

Now we're getting somewhere!

The question is, do we see this kidnapping take place at the Mayan dig site, or does the movie just start off with the Hangar 51 stuff?

Does anyone else get the feeling that KOTCS is going to be the first Indy movie with a very different kind of opening sequence?

|ZiR|

-Jones- said:
45393401073KS.obr

Yep.

James Rollins, 232 pages.

It's quite normal, novelizations are always published before the premiere ;).

But, hey, the US release date for the James Rollins novelization is May 20th, a lousy two whole days before the premiere.

How is it that the Polish version of a book written by an American author, in English is going to be published first? Do they not care about spoilers in Poland?

Yes, I know just whining at this point. But it's... it's just not faaaaaaair.

Darth Vile

Although the openings have always follwed the "end of a previous adventure" concept, I think each and every Indy movie has had a unique opening sequence. The opener for TOD was drastically different from Raiders, and obviously LC went back in time.

I've no reason to believe KOTCS will be any different in that it will be unique.

nitzsche

What I mean is, the KOTCS opening does not seem as disconnected from the main plot as the teasers of the previous installments were.

jasperjones

I think as has been suggested before that the Marshall College stuff happens after the Area 51 stuff which opens the film.

What is new is the idea that Indy was captured whilst working on a Mayan site.

Now here's an idea...from the trailer we know that Indy gets pulled from the trunk of a car so has presumably been captured by the Ruskies at some point (possibly with Mac). This synopsis suggests when, where, why and by whom, BUT it doesn't necessarily fit that that particular scenario will be shown in the film.

The TPM and ROTS novelisations both began with scenes that acted as a prelude to scenes that opened the films themselves. That could well be the case here and what will be described in the book will only be alluded to on screen. Or, it could be that the film does actually open this way and we've not seen any footage/ shots of this section.

AGREED Nitzche. I've always thought that the opening seems to be more connected to the rest of the film than the previous adventures. I can imagine the paramount logo fading to the Mayan temple silhouette, accompanied by the skull theme (wonder if that is the music on that m&m game) as we move through the dig before eventually come face to face with Indy again...

But then I feel that we may have seen our first intro for Indy with the hat silhouette in the teaser. Who knows but lots to speculate on!

nitzsche

Yeah, I'm thinking the actual capture will not be shown. There will have to be some explanation as to how Indy and Mac are captured.

At first, I thought Indy and Mac were captured while racing the Russians to get something from the warehouse. Now it's certain the Russians kidnapped them in order to identify something at the warehouse... something only Indy and Mac would know about.

SterankoII

I think this shows how really evil and ruthless this particular group of Russians are. That they killed a bunch of scientists and presumably some Army guys.