Which Indy film is the best?

Out of all the films, which one is definitively the best?

• Total voters

Temple Raider

I'm pretty sure I saw TOD first as well, and Raiders sometime after. I grew up with both movies and it wasn't until I think I was about 8 or 9 that I saw TLC when it aired on USA. I remember at that age not knowing there had been another IJ film and being surprised to see there was another.

WWI Era Indy

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
Raiders of the Lost Ark
Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom
Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

WWI Era Indy

Last Crusade. I loved the chemistry between Ford and Connery, and it seemed to have the most humor and action of all the movies.

HenryJunior

It's so hard to betray Raiders but I think Temple of Doom is my favorite. Of course my decision fluctuates and its a very close rating. Don't get me wrong, Raiders has a much better story and characters but some parts of TOD have always been my favorite. :whip:

foreverwingnut

I agree...

WWI Era Indy said:
Last Crusade. I loved the chemistry between Ford and Connery, and it seemed to have the most humor and action of all the movies.
I think everyone can agree that Raiders set the bar by which all other adventure films strive to immulate. Raiders has the best script, best sound effects, and the best relic of all the films, but when I'm asked simply to state my favorite Indy films, then I have to admit it's Last Crusade. The spiritual nature of the film- Indy's rekindled bond with his father, the quest, the tests of faith, the realization of self- is deeply profound. Last Crusade is also a lot of fun and I find that my favorite quotes in all the Indy films come from Henry Jones, Sr. (maybe because Sean Connery is so much fun to impersonate!).

IndyJoey

chanatell said:
I can't really decide for I love them all, but if I had to choose it would be the Last Crusade(y) although Raiders does follow it VERY closely behind and then TOD:whip:
Ditto, i put Last Crusade and Raiders at a tie, but if i had to choose, it would be Last Crusade as first, because i love seeing how Indy and his dad bond, and all the trouble they go through, it reminds me of my dad and I, although we are on better terms than Indy was with his dad...

Temple Raider

Marshall2288 said:
None was taken. Trust me. I'm always down for a little internet smack talk here and there. (plus I work in a jail so I'm used to haggling)

Off-topic but yikes, you work in a jail? :eek: Got to be scary being there.

Temple Raider

Temple Of Doom with Raiders close behind it.

I've done it before but I may as well rank them again:

Temple Of Doom
Raiders
The Last Crusade
Crystal Skull

Interestingly enough, the chronological order of the films.

Temple Raider

Rewatching the series recently, I find TLC and KOTCS are a little even for me and I actually might be growing to prefer KOTCS a little to TLC. I still really enjoy TLC and love it, but this time for some reason I didn't enjoy it as much, whereas KOTCS improved for me considerably.

Still, I do enjoy and love them all in their own special way.

Marshall2288

Nah, it's not scary.

I agree on the dwindling awesomeness of TLC. I just can't take the constant slap stick humor scene after scene.

Dr.Jonesy

My preference has always been the same the past...so many years? It was always ROTLA, LC, and then TOD. And after KOTCS came out, that film became my third favorite. Though I've noticed the past year my mind has started to change a little. So the other day I watched all 3 sequels in a row (out of order, though) and I don't think I'd seen them all in a year or so. And after watching all 3 sequels and letting them settle in my head, my preference has changed.

- Raiders of the Lost Ark
- Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
- Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade
- Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

That's how I rank them now!
:hat:

Jeez, when I was a kid TOD was my favorite. Funny how your preferences change as you get older.

Dr.Jonesy

Marshall2288 said:
Nah, it's not scary.

I agree on the dwindling awesomeness of TLC. I just can't take the constant slap stick humor scene after scene.

I didn't notice it so much when I was younger. But there is a huge difference in tone and mood between Raiders and all 3 sequels.

-Raiders of the Lost Ark - Establishes series formula; gritty, straight forward action, quick and dirty, with a nice dose of charm and wit. Not a humorous film, but has a charm to it. Also add a little mystery and romance. Classic Hollywood filmmaking.

Now...we move on to the three stepchildren;

-Temple of Doom - Can't decide if it wants to be a silly comedy or an action/horror film.
-Last Crusade - Decides it's going to be a slapstick comedy with some serious bits thrown in. Am I the only one who loves this film but also finds it the most dull?
-Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - First half of it is Raiders, and the second half of the film is Last Crusade/Temple of Doom. The 'Hybrid Sequel' as I call it.

Last Crusade's slapstick I could definitely do without. I don't know what made them change the feel of the films so much after Raiders.

I think I remembered Last Crusade being better than it actually is.

Still love them all though!
:gun:

Temple Raider

Marshall2288 said:

That's what hurts it for me among a few other things. Tone-wise it's so jarring compared to the first two, which had humor but also took themselves seriously. TLC is almost a straight-up comedy with the occasional serious scene.

Dr.Jonesy

Temple Raider said:
TLC is almost a straight-up comedy with the occasional serious scene.

Well...I wouldn't go THAT far. Or maybe I would. Hell, I don't even know anymore!
:p

I guess it is a straight up comedy once Indy goes to find his dad. That's one of the things that irks me about LC.

Temple Raider

TLC just seemed to really emphasis a much more comedic approach than the other three and was definitely much more slapstick. I've said it before but I really dislike how Sallah and Brody become bumbling comic relief with no purpose other than to provide some cheap laughs, and I dislike even more how Indy himself becomes the butt of jokes throughout it. KOTCS for some of it's silly scenes at least had Indy being serious again and didn't poke much fun at him if any by comparison, and tone-wise it was more consistant compared with the overly comical tone and mood TLC has.

Dr.Jonesy

Indeed. I cringe when Indy falls down the stairs yelling 'Daaaaad!'.

And I love Brody in ROTLA; he hints at once being like Indy when he mentions how if he was younger he would go after it himself. And in LC the guy is a bumbling fool. They ruined Sallah/Brody in LC.

Temple Raider

I also hated the bit where he enters the castle in disguise. Cringe-inducing to see him become a cartoon character there :sick:

I still dig TLC, though.

Dr.Jonesy

Temple Raider said:
I also hated the bit where he enters the castle in disguise. Cringe-inducing to see him become a cartoon character there :sick:

I still dig TLC, though.

That scene too. Grr.

Who doesn't dig TLC though?

Temple Raider

TLC is definitely a fun movie, no doubt. Ford and Connery firing on all cylinders and the epic tank chase scene. A lot to love in it :hat:

My ranking may be a tad bit different now, I may now rank them as: TOD, ROTLA, KOTCS and finally TLC. But TLC and KOTCS are very close for third and fourth place respectively, now.

Dr.Jonesy

Temple Raider said:
TLC is definitely a fun movie, no doubt. Ford and Connery firing on all cylinders and the epic tank chase scene. A lot to love in it :hat:

My ranking may be a tad bit different now, I may now rank them as: TOD, ROTLA, KOTCS and finally TLC. But TLC and KOTCS are very close for third and fourth place respectively, now.

The score is brilliant in LC. Some parts in 'Ah, Rats!' are some of John Williams' finest works. Amazing stuff. Not to impune his other works in the Indy franchise of course. But to me, LC has the most subtly amazing music in it.

It's cool to see you put TOD ahead of everything; that's very rare!

My ranking has changed only about three times in my life, but I think this new one is here to stay. ROTLA>KOTCS>LC>TOD is now how it goes for me! Raiders will always be the best for me.
:)