Indiana Jones Radio Drama

harvey

Stoo said:
Ed, no offense, eh?:cool: To be frank, the "old tyme" radio filter should be scrapped completely (as has been done with this latest installment). While it's a cool idea, it ends up detracting from the overall finished product. Then again, this is just my humble opinion.

I don't have iTunes so to get this Read-Along to work properly I had to actually open 2 different windows. One for the audio and another for the pages. (On the first few tries, the image & audio worked simultaneously only for 18 seconds before the 1st page automatically disappeared and it switched to a QuickTime player.)

Lito as Henry Sr.: Ecshellent!
Rob as Indy: Admirable effort but I think I prefer your/his emotionless interpretation of Indy better. Maybe find some middle ground for the next one? I guess I just have a different idea of how certain lines would be delivered by H.Ford, though the part where Indy is digging with the shovel was some well done voice acting on your part.
Keith as Dafoe: Fun but clichéd stereotype.
Pedro as Ahmed: Perfect.
Keith as Narrator: As RonTheReviewer would say, "Really good".
Sound Effects: Nicely used.
Voice Echo: PERFECT!
Music: Nice selections and beautifully edited.
IndyCast Read-Along Logo: Sweet touch of nostalgia. Who did it?

The end credits reminded of the "Star Wars" radio show from 1981. The only thing missing was thanking Les David of throwmetheidol.com for providing scans of the pages. Otherwise, none of us would be able to see them!

As you guys may know, I've been doing my own read-alongs with the comics since "Temple of Yearning" and I must say that this was very enjoyable. The BEST Indy radio drama so far!(y) Can't believe there isn't any other feedback yet!

Stoo -

Once again, your feedback is greatly appreciated. Glad you enjoyed this as much as we enjoyed putting it together!

The radio effect was dropped for this one as we wanted to keep the radio dramas and read-alongs in separate "worlds". Radio is more 30s-40s, read-alongs 70's and 80's. Since the Crusade story (audio only) was released on CD, that gave us a good reason to keep the audio as clean as possible.

I still love the radio effect on the dramas, but the criticisms were heard loud and clear (pun intended). It'll be toned down on GG part 2...and I might have something in my editing software that will make it a bit more listener-friendly. Let us know how we do when GG part 2 is released.

Our voice cast DID do a bang-up job, and Indy is always the toughest. Even in giving direction, it's tough for me to decide: Snarky Indy, You Kids Get Off My Lawn Indy, Put You To Sleep With My Voice Indy, or I'm In Awe Of Some Gold Thing Indy. Rob is certainly keeping up with all of our suggestions. I think you'll like the Indy we're planning for the "Willie Scott" adventure. ;)

Thanks for the kind words on the editing, as well. Trying out a few new bells and whistles...glad to know they're making an impact. Just wait till Indy hits the jungle!

Logo was very much a team effort. Keith and I wanted something representative of the story which would also incorporate elements of the old book-and-records with new school iPoddy goodness. Ed put our suggestions through his IndyCast rosetta stone and ran with it. I thought it was stellar. Thanks for noticing the details! (y)

"Your own read-alongs"...you mean you're following along with the source material...or did you put something together??

Keep posting your comments. We're listening to and reading EVERYTHING so we can keep getting better at this!

DoomTown

Stoo said:
Lito as Henry Sr.: Ecshellent!
Rob as Indy: Admirable effort but I think I prefer your/his emotionless interpretation of Indy better. Maybe find some middle ground for the next one? I guess I just have a different idea of how certain lines would be delivered by H.Ford, though the part where Indy is digging with the shovel was some well done voice acting on your part.
Keith as Dafoe: Fun but clichéd stereotype.
Pedro as Ahmed: Perfect.
Keith as Narrator: As RonTheReviewer would say, "Really good".
Sound Effects: Nicely used.
Voice Echo: PERFECT!
Music: Nice selections and beautifully edited.
IndyCast Read-Along Logo: Sweet touch of nostalgia. Who did it?

The end credits reminded of the "Star Wars" radio show from 1981. The only thing missing was thanking Les David of throwmetheidol.com for providing scans of the pages. Otherwise, none of us would be able to see them!

I must say that this was very enjoyable. The BEST Indy radio drama so far!(y) Can't believe there isn't any other feedback yet!

Thanks Stoo!!!

Really glad you enjoyed it, it was a blast putting it all together...I must echo all of Joes earlier sentiments, we talk constantly about music, effects and the voice work, so glad all those little details were noticed. The logo seemed a no-brainer for me,with a modern twist. I know my Dafoe was a little cliche, but thats EXACTLY what I was going for! ;)

I will make sure Les gets his due in the credits of the next one, and I can't believe we haven't gotten more feedback either! Heck, I wouldn't mind even being included in the headlines on the Raider.net! :confused:

indy dave

DoomTown said:
I can't believe we haven't gotten more feedback either!

I just listened to it and thought it was very well done. Fantastic job all around. Great sounds effects. Loved the echo on the last scene there.

Usually I'm just a lurker around here but I wanted to make sure you know your efforts are very much appreciated! I look forward to your next one.

harvey

indy dave said:
I just listened to it and thought it was very well done. Fantastic job all around. Great sounds effects. Loved the echo on the last scene there.

Usually I'm just a lurker around here but I wanted to make sure you know your efforts are very much appreciated! I look forward to your next one.

Dave:

Thanks so much. We love listener feedback. And the last panel was my personal favorite. (y)

Want a peek behind the sound effects curtain?? Henry Senior's water bottle is a 2-liter Canada Dry Ginger Ale! :D

Spooky stuff headed your way with the next read-along. :whip:

harvey

Addition to my earlier post:

I hope I didn't sound like I was editing GG part 2. In re-reading it, it might have come across that way. :eek:

That story is so epic, the editing can only be handled by Rob "Indy" Magee himself! :hat:

Just giving my trivia bro a breather!

Stoo

harvey7297 said:
"Your own read-alongs"...you mean you're following along with the source material...or did you put something together??
What I meant was following the source material along with your radio dramas. (See: posts #35 & #89 of this thread.)

As for putting something together...See: posts #60-72. Junior Jones & myself have considered creating motion graphics for the radio-plays and I've already started some preliminary work.;) (Before Keith mentioned it, we both suggested the whip crack for the turning of the pages...so, great minds think alike!:p)

Again, the logo is a really, sweet touch!(y)
DoomTown said:
I will make sure Les gets his due in the credits of the next one, and I can't believe we haven't gotten more feedback either! Heck, I wouldn't mind even being included in the headlines on the Raider.net!:confused:
C'mon Indy Gang! If you've had a listen, please, for the sake of the creators, do like Indy Dave did and drop some feedback.:gun::whip:

Stoo said:
C'mon Indy Gang! If you've had a listen, please, for the sake of the creators, do like Indy Dave did and drop some feedback.:gun::whip:
Lito was the standout this trip around, a strong performance!

Maybe I'm a fast reader, the dead air at moments like those leading up to "The next day..." is pefect fodder for the cutting room floor,(maybe this is in homage to read along format, but prime for improvement here) also the narration could begin during music fade out. There were moments where I just wanted the cut to be "snappier," six minutes for four pages seems too long.

Rob's inflection didn't quite match the bold text, but another solid performance.

Keith's voicing is sufficiently creepy/villainous, maybe too much early on...it would keep the characterization from being too repetitive, at one point his double duty, while not identical isn't distinct enough.

Pedro? That was him? A supporting role, but nice and punchy!

The pacing misses the humor of the moment that Henry Sr guarantees a long wait, only to be immediately proven wrong!

Rob starts to channel Last Crusade Indy and the pacing picks up a bit!

Just picking nits, but once again the music is fine, the effects do the job..it was "really good" though!

I had the read-along books, and HATED them, the mask of death benefits from the care and love of the producers!:hat:

Last edited:

harvey

Stoo said:
What I meant was following the source material along with your radio dramas. (See: posts #35 & #89 of this thread.)

Ah, yes. For the radio dramas, I enjoyed listening first to get the full effect. Then, a 2nd listen along with the comic to see how closely it tied in. Can't wait for GG part two!

Stoo said:
As for putting something together...See: posts #60-72. Junior Jones & myself have considered creating motion graphics for the radio-plays and I've already started some preliminary work.;) (Before Keith mentioned it, we both suggested the whip crack for the turning of the pages...so, great minds think alike!:p)

Again, the logo is a really, sweet touch!(y)

Very cool. I've touched base briefly with Junior about making some interesting use of artwork. PM me and the four of us (along with Keith and Jr.) can brainstorm... (y)

harvey

Rocket Surgeon said:
Lito was the standout this trip around, a strong performance!

Maybe I'm a fast reader, the dead air at moments like those leading up to "The next day..." is pefect fodder for the cutting room floor,(maybe this is in homage to read along format, but prime for improvement here) also the narration could begin during music fade out. There were moments where I just wanted the cut to be "snappier," six minutes for four pages seems too long.

Rob's inflection didn't quite match the bold text, but another solid performance.

Keith's voicing is sufficiently creepy/villainous, maybe too much early on...it would keep the characterization from being too repetitive, at one point his double duty, while not identical isn't distinct enough.

Pedro? That was him? A supporting role, but nice and punchy!

The pacing misses the humor of the moment that Henry Sr guarantees a long wait, only to be immediately proven wrong!

Rob starts to channel Last Crusade Indy and the pacing picks up a bit!

Just picking nits, but once again the music is fine, the effects do the job..it was "really good" though!

I had the read-along books, and HATED them, the mask of death benefits from the care and love of the producers!:hat:

Pat - thanks for the comments. And nice job on the segment this week. You had me nervous with the threat of 10 questions. :eek:

Pacing of the read-along was definitely a callback to the book-and-record format. Someone else had commented on the time leading into the story, but I tend to err on the side of breathing room for the music, and a chance for a listener to set a mental stage for the story as it starts to unfold. Not sure about Keith, but for me personally, I even like the Raiders Story on Record open. No narration just music and effects. Hmmm...that reminds me of something... ;)

And six minutes is too long?! Hey...there are IndyCast segments that run on for 30 plus minutes!! :D

Thanks for the kind words for our voice talent. Our pool continues to grow and is improving with each performance!

Not sure how we missed the humor on the Senior/Ahmed scene. I thought we nailed it. As soon as Senior makes his matter of fact statement, he's immediately proven wrong. What did we miss? :confused:

And a BIG thanks for addressing our passion for these types of adventures. Keith and I are big time fans of the read-along series and we are reveling in the nostalgia of it all. Thanks to Ed for the opportunity...and to the listeners for giving us a reason to continue making 'em.

On to Spell of the Skull! :whip:

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
C'mon Indy Gang! If you've had a listen, please, for the sake of the creators, do like Indy Dave did and drop some feedback.

Listen?

I'll go so far as to quote Mutt (yes, that far).

"WHAT? YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!!! RIGHT?"

Rocket Surgeon said:
I had the read-along books, and HATED them...

Me too.

harvey

Sharkey said:
Drama?

This is slightly less effeminate then Glee club.

For seven year olds this is pretty impressive.

Sharkey! Thanks for weighing in on this thread. We were beginning to feel left out. :p

If you noticed in post #101 of this thread, the read-alongs are separate from the radio dramas, hence, we don't refer to them as "dramas". Since they are more of a throwback or homage to the old-time book-and-record sets, they would cater to a younger audience, as does the source material. And, we actually take that as more of a compliment than you might imagine. One listener wrote in that her young son wanted to watch an Indy movie after listening to the read-along. The next generation of Indy fans is upon us!

For our next read-along, we might use a quote from your review for the podcast artwork - "Pretty impressive". I'll get Ed on that right away. Thanks for the assist!! And thanks for listening!! ;)

Sharkey

harvey7297 said:
If you noticed in post #101 of this thread, the read-alongs are separate from the radio dramas...
Yeah, No. I don't pay much attention to mommas dramas.
harvey7297 said:
hence, we don't refer to them as "dramas". Since they are more of a throwback or homage to the old-time book-and-record sets, they would cater to a younger audience
You may want to review that proposal if you think book and record homages cater to a young crowd. Just doesn't click. I got 20/20 but that and my iPod got me thinking different.
harvey7297 said:
we actually take that as more of a compliment than you might imagine.
You're welcome.

harvey

Sharkey said:
You may want to review that proposal if you think book and record homages cater to a young crowd. Just doesn't click. I got 20/20 but that and my iPod got me thinking different.

The old book-and-record sets and the current (2008) UK magazine are geared toward a younger audience. From what we're hearing and reading, the homage (thankfully) appeals to young and old alike, both groups having access to iPods. :D

We're still waiting to hear about the Selachimorpha demographic. Perhaps you could assist with a focus group! (y)

Btw - thanks for helping me reach 100 posts! Now to select an avatar. Hmm...wonder if any images from the following pages will be available for 2011...

;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Sharkey

harvey7297 said:
Btw - thanks for helping me reach 100 posts! Now to select an avatar.
You're welcome, but I think it was your deepthoughts about pimples and blackheads that put you over the top.

The Drifter

Sharkey said:
You're welcome, but I think it was your deepthoughts about pimples and blackheads that put you over the top.

I do believe that I may have spurred on the deep musings about the blackheads. Shall this be my undoing?!