• Steele and Jones

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Bill Kelso

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • Other (post about it below)

Votes: 15 20.3%

• Total voters

jsarino

Well, I let both offers go on the two Westeds I looked at. Instead, I purchased a Todd's (Coyle's) Indy jacket, and it arrived today at the office:

IMG_20141003_143011.jpg

IMG_20141003_143053.jpg

I need to do some "aging" to mine soon. :)

Drones33

Looks great.
I agree with DJD1 regarding the Wested. Great value for those of us in the UK. Ive had mine for a few years and its beginning to look nicely battered. I think if I lived in the U.S. though I`d probably be more inclined to go for Todds myself. Indeed its only the prohibitively high shipping costs that prevented me getting the rest of my gear from Todds.

jsarino

Drones33 said:
Looks great.
I agree with DJD1 regarding the Wested. Great value for those of us in the UK. Ive had mine for a few years and its beginning to look nicely battered. I think if I lived in the U.S. though I`d probably be more inclined to go for Todds myself. Indeed its only the prohibitively high shipping costs that prevented me getting the rest of my gear from Todds.

Thanks! You're right...conversely for me, I'd be doing what you're doing and getting your gear mostly in the UK or EU too if I were there. As it stands, I may be getting more Todd's gear to improve on what I've gotten so far. Though one exception is that I might be getting a authentic MKVII bag from a guy in the EU to replace my replica. Also, I still may get a Wested custom tailored jacket in the future, but for now, I'm enjoying breaking in the jacket. :)

Goodeknight

Djd1 said:
Well, because they don't make the best jackets... I've owned four Westeds but they only got the Raiders look right once they were able to copy a Tony Nowak, because Tony was leant an original to copy. The Wested hero is now a good pattern but only Bill Kelso and Steele and Jones have been using the correct raiders leather.

The Wested Hero is an odd jacket that looks costumey in my opinion. And something about the lack of lining and some other details strikes me odd, and being that thinly tailored it doesn't seem like it would move well or be very comfortable.

And I went with goat for the toughness of the jacket. It's practically bulletproof, especially compared to lamb.

As for the affordability with shipping from overseas, I see it as a lifetime, perhaps generational expense. I'm 43, bought the jacket maybe 7 years ago, and will probably pass it on to my son when he grows up. So a few extra bucks is incidental in the long run.

Regardless of copies, revamps, and copies of copies, my preference is still to have a jacket made by the original makers.

jsarino

^^^Saw pics of the jacket. Pretty cool that it already comes distressed/aged. I've not heard of this one, so please share with us your thoughts on it when it arrives. :)

Glenville86

jsarino said:
^^^Saw pics of the jacket. Pretty cool that it already comes distressed/aged. I've not heard of this one, so please share with us your thoughts on it when it arrives. :)

The USW Imported Legend Jacket fit well. Slim cut jacket so I ordered the long version. The leather is much lighter in shade than the web pictures. Very soft and the leather has a worn look but it does not show it as much as the shade is lighter.

For around 200 bucks, a very nice jacket that can be worn in above freezing weather with a heavier shirt.

jsarino

Aargh! This is partially my fault. I left my jacket on the bed, and my 4 yr. old daughter, which I call her the "Destructo" (she broke my PS3, damaged our car stereo, colored on our walls), put a sticker on my Todd's...

IMG_20141111_100332.jpg

:(

Off to the leather repair place. Unfortunately, they'll have to refinish the whole jacket. So, any natural distressing I've done the last couple of months will be gone. I'm crossing my fingers the color will be about the same when it comes back.

Indyfan82

I have a leather jacket from Boston Outfitters that I really love. Of course, since I can't really afford to buy leather jackets all the time, it serves as my jacket for a number of characters- chiefly Indiana Jones of course- but also MacGyver, Michael Knight, Fonzie, Gary Hobson, Sam Beckett (okay- not that he was really wearing a jacket all the time though- lol), Marty McFly (in Back to the Future Part II), and most any other cool jacketed character out there...lol:) :cool:

BiffMan

Gibson & Barnes goatskin here. Not completely SA, but just a stupidly well-constructed and incredibly comfortable jacket and I imagine it'll very likely outlast me. :)

jsarino

Update on my Todd's: I did get it back finally, and it seems to have been restored, and a small tear in the back yolk was fixed too.
IMG_20141209_120231.jpg

Time to naturally re-distress the jacket again...

Drones33

Just had an email to say that the Wested Last Crusade jacket that I orderd in distressed cowhide will be here tomorrow. TOMORROW!
I love my Raiders goatskin, not very good for cold weather though. ( I specifically ordered a 38 instead of my usual 40 so that it would be quite snug. It fits great, but consequently I cant layer it.) So I wanted something a little heavier with a bit more room for layering that I can wear throughout the winter months.
And it'll be here tomorrow.
Very exciting (y)

Glenville86

I have been wearing a US Wings Signature Series Vintage Cowhide with a fleece vest underneath during the cold days. Works fine. Tomorrow, might wear a Wested goat with the vest. Funny thing is I have 2-Wested in goat and the Raiders Jacket has enough room to layer but the LC/CS is cut smaller even though they are both the same size.

Drones33

Raiders goat/Crusade cowhide comparison

My new LC cowhide arrived(y)
imagejpg1_zps2db742ab.jpg

Natural light.

imagejpg2_zps9f89f2f9.jpg

imagejpg3_zps6377a1e0.jpg

Played around with the saturation so the difference in colour is more obvious.
The LC is just a bit longer and looser than the Raiders goat which is just what I wanted.

Drones33

Glenville86 said:
I have been wearing a US Wings Signature Series Vintage Cowhide with a fleece vest underneath during the cold days. Works fine. Tomorrow, might wear a Wested goat with the vest. Funny thing is I have 2-Wested in goat and the Raiders Jacket has enough room to layer but the LC/CS is cut smaller even though they are both the same size.

That's intriguing. I'd have said the LC was cut looser. Perhaps, in my case, it's simply the fact that my Raiders goat is a size smaller, and I'd just assumed it was the cut aswell as the size. I'm very happy with my new LC I must say. Nicely different from my Raiders. Not better, just different . Look forward to taking it on its first outing... With a fleece (y)