Fountain Of Youth game

Fountain of Youth demo

Well the forum's down for technical issues... figured there are a few people here from FOY.... anyone know what's going on?

Also.... that image that comes up on the forum page announcing the error... is that the first glimpse at the new Indy sprite?!

EvilDevo

Donations to the Fountain of Youth project

Who here at The Raven would like to see (or rather, hear) Doug Lee returning as the voice of Indy in the FoY fan project?

Have any of our members donated? (If they feel like sharing such info.)

Personally, I'd really enjoy having him back and am seriously considering a donation. Just wondering how much financial support we at The Raven could give these guys in their quest for the original voice of Indy.

$20 from 100 of the die hard Fate of Atlantis fans here would pretty much cover the cost. What's $20? Who wouldn't pay that for a "talkie" sequel... er, prequel to one of the best games of all time? I know I would.

Anyone with me on this?

chapter11

I think it's too soon to be thinking about this. I'd like to see some evidence that the game will be finished before I'd even consider dropping any money its way. In addition to the logistical issues of actually creating a great freeware adventure game, there's also the possibility that LucasArts will swoop in as the game nears completion and shut the whole thing down. So for now, while I continue watch it with some interest, I also maintain a healthy degree of skepticism.

Finn

Staff member
chapter11 said:
In addition to the logistical issues of actually creating a great freeware adventure game, there's also the possibility that LucasArts will swoop in as the game nears completion and shut the whole thing down.
In general, the Lucas companies have positive attitudes towards fanwork, as long as it stays non-commercial. The only example of LucasArts intervention when creating an Indy fan game is the infamous Raiders of the Lost Ark project, which was likely shut down because they chose to mess with an existing story. FoY has an original plot and most of the characters are new as well.

FoY is a high-profile fan project and as long as there's no money involved, LEC would only shoot its own leg by shutting it down. Actually, the only possible scenario which could lead to the project's unfortunate demise is that the team accidentally makes profit in form of donations. Which is why trying to have a gathering for Doug Lee's involvement is risky (and not recommendable), but not for the reasons mentioned above.

And even if all those funds go directly to Lee, there's still a risk... as the worst-case scenario is that LEC figures no one should profit from this game, and that's counting Doug Lee.

Last edited:

chapter11

Finn said:
In general, the Lucas companies have positive attitudes towards fanwork, as long as it stays non-commercial.

Unfortunately, I don't think that's really true when it comes specifically to fan-made video games. Quite a few freeware Monkey Island fan games have been shut down by LucasArts: Legends of LeChuck is a great example, but hardly the only one. I agree that it's kind of stupid for LucasArts to do it, but on the other hand they need to "protect" their intellectual property.

As someone who's very involved in the amateur adventure game community, I can say just based on my personal observations over the past five years that most companies wait to order a cease-and-desist until there's evidence that the game will actually be completed.

Finn

Staff member
chapter11 said:
I agree that it's kind of stupid for LucasArts to do it, but on the other hand they need to "protect" their intellectual property.
Interesting notions, and it seems that on the general scale there're arguments for and against on trying to create a Lucas fan game being a good idea or not. But I think that we can still both agree at that hiring a professional actor for this kind of project is certainly pushing the limits.

chapter11

Finn said:
Interesting notions, and it seems that on the general scale there're arguments for and against on trying to create a Lucas fan game being a good idea or not. But I think that we can still both agree at that hiring a professional actor for this kind of project is certainly pushing the limits.

Absolutely. Interestingly, this isn't the first time such a thing has been attempted. There was an ill-fated Space Quest fan sequal that enlisted the aid of Josh Mandel, one of the co-designers of the later Space Quest games.

On a more positive note, though, the unofficial King's Quest 9 fan project was shut down by Sierra/Vivendi for exactly the same reasons that LucasArts goes after fan-games, but when the KQ9 team showed them what they were working on, Vivendi actually said "OK, that's pretty good... change the name slightly and keep going."

Thus, King's Quest 9: Every Cloak has a Silver Lining became simply The Silver Lining and production continues!

VP said:
Who are these 100 die hard FoA fans here? Gimme a list. :p

I guess I'd be one, considering I think it's a Top 5, all-time best adventure game. Still not sold on sending them $20 bucks, though, for reasons outlined above. ;)

chapter11

ClintonHammond said:
I thought there was a rule against solicitation threads here @ The Raven...

EvilDevo isn't part of the FoY team, so it's not really a solicitation, it's just a topic he raised for discussion.

EvilDevo

Exactly, I'd just love to see the game completed with Doug Lee voicing it. For argument's sake... let's say FoY is completed and LucasArts is fine with everything. Could we get 100 of the 2000 or so members on these message boards to pitch in? I think it could be done.

On the other hand, all this talk of LucasArts shutting them down is concerning. It would be brutal if the developers were nearing completion and some gold guy reps put their foot down on the whole thing. I wonder if the FoY team has been in contact with LucasArts, and have explained their intentions.

Last edited:

VP

Moderator Emeritus
EvilDevo said:
Could we get 100 of the 2000 or so members on these message boards to pitch in? I think it could be done.
There are 2000 members but less than 200 of them are active. Oh yeah and you stole my avatar. ;)