The People's Indy 4

torao

Moderator Emeritus
Aawww...I just LOVE the beginning of REALM OF THE DEAD. That's the Indy I'd be quite satisfied to see on the big screen: desperate, disillusioned, lonely, walking throught he rain, a bit grumpy, annoyed by young secretaries who want to help him ...

It's also such a great achievement because, not only in the scene at the beginning, but also through big parts of the script, you manage to actually capture Indy's character the right way.
Many fan stories treat his character AND the situations he finds himself in way too harmless. Thereby they unfortunately miss, what IMHO is one of the Indy concept's greatest strengths: authenticity.
the action surrounding Indiana Jones is bloody, sweaty and dirty. Indy normally can only BARELY escape these life threatening situations. I mean...the mileage isn't there without a reason. (this is also what I think separates him from James Bond and other "cleaner" heroes.)
But whom am I telling that. Of course it's far easier to talk about what a vulnerable, human action hero Indy is than actually putting him in these scenes with your imagination and ....letting him survive...just by an inch.

I remember another great great script opening, which also handled Indy's character and action in an equally wonderful way. I think it was that Gypsie's Kiss thing by monkey, where Indy, in the beginning, finds himself into a tomb or something.
However...I thought that in the mid section REALM was slowing down a bit and I lost some interest but the end was again really satisfying, entertaining and meaningful. After all it's just a great idea you came up with to tackle our aging hero.

I guess REALM was far more satisfying for me (mostly because of what I've pointed out above) than these sons of darkness and sword of arthur stories. where did that undeserved fame of especially THE SWORD OF ARTHUR come from?

I deeply respect and admire anyone who's able to produce scripts of these lengths that are at least entertaining enough to keep me reading. Even if they completely seem to miss the point and concept of the hero or the action.

Deadlock

Violet Indy said:
Deadlock, it's a very well done script however I think it would bring more comfort to Indy's character, if Marion did cross the threshold for a moment and had a word to Indy to tell hm that it's ok for him to move on and that everything is as it should be. Just my two cents. This wouldn't be the ideal Indy IV for me. As Indyologist said, I want to see Marion and Indy together. This has all the more made me want to write my version of Indy IV.

I think you?re missing the point. In Realm it?s important that the artifact doesn?t save the day. It doesn?t make everything right. It doesn?t wipe out all the Nazis or snatch a loved one back from the brink. Indy has to work up the will to move on on his own? and to realize (in the words of Bono) ?sometimes you can?t make it on your own.? So, it was absolutely essential that the ending played out the way it did: Indy turning his back on a supernatural ?crutch? and hobbling away with the help of someone who cares.

torao said:
Aawww...I just LOVE the beginning of REALM OF THE DEAD. That's the Indy I'd be quite satisfied to see on the big screen: desperate, disillusioned, lonely, walking throught he rain, a bit grumpy, annoyed by young secretaries who want to help him ...

Torao, I?m glad you liked it. It?s obvious that we?re on the same page: Indy Noir. ;)

Canyon

Deadlock, firstly I would just like to say that you have outdone yourself again. *claps* Wonderful screenplay. (y)

You are an incredibly talented and gifted writer, and you really have come up with something special here. :D

That said, I gotta go with Indyologist here. I too want to see Indy live 'happily ever after' and heck, why can't that be with Marion? (even though, I confess that the books I've written, she is not the love interest - sorry Indyologist).

I'm sorry. I know that Indy is a fictitious character, but I too felt a certain sadness seeing Indy as a hardened person who has hit the bottle, although I think that if most people had been through what Indy had been through, they would have probably done the same thing, so I can sort of understand why you wrote the character in the way that you did.

Kudos to you and your story. :hat:

And lastly, I've been working on my 4th Indy book for some time now, and I think you've inspired me to change some stuff and finish it! :whip:

Deadlock

Indyologist said:
I really, really want Indy and Marion to be married in the next film because I want to see Indy happy. I personally happen to feel that Marion is the only woman he'd ever really be happy with.

Good call, Indyologist. Good call.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Indyologist said:
If what you say below is what you feel, I think Indy would have no regrets at all about marrying Marion! If I were Indy, I would be sick of all that junk, too.

IJ and the LC was about Indy's coming to terms with his relationship with his father. I'd like Indy 4 to be about Indy's coming to terms with love; that is, with Marion. It could have the obligatory mini opening adventure that would include jokes and snide comments from others about his age. However, we find on this mini-adventure that Indy still indeed "has it!" He comes back to the States, this time with the artifact he was looking for! He is lauded at the museum, but Indy somehow seems sullen-- like he's lost his luster somehow. He seems-- dissatisfied. Marcus, as in your story, has died and so has Indy's father.

We could see Indy walking aimlessly around the Museum of Antiquities after hours at some point, gazing at all the things he's found over the years. After his dad's and Marcus' death, he has lost vital parts of his life and he is beginning to question why he got into archeology in the first place. Indy considers his age and realizes that artifacts are just temporal.

Then, at one point, he gets The Call to the Quest for, well, whatever artifact could destroy the world if it gets into the bad guys hands-- you know the spiel :rolleyes: !

Whoever hires Indy assigns someone to work with him, someone who knows a bit about and is an expert in their field of X, whatever X is. Turns out, that expert is Marion! Here she has been hiring herself out as a guide, field researcher, or some other kind of field of expertise.

Well, they go together on their adventure, rekindling their relationship somewhat in the process. At the climax of the movie, Indy has to choose between the Artifact and Marion. He can't have both. One would ensure the Fortune and Glory he'd always wanted-- that would be guaranteed. The other, Marion, has something that no artifact, no matter how significant, could never give him-- love. Obviously, he chooses the Good Thing-- Marion.
(Perhaps in the end, though, he could get BOTH. The Artifact's power can only be used ONCE, then it is just reverts back to a powerless, yet extremely valuable, museum piece.)

He struggles whether or not to propose, still in the thralls of a midlife crisis, until a minor character that has accompanied them on and off reminds Indy that artifacts cannot love Indy back or truly give him happiness. The giving and receiving of love, it seems, is the ultimate adventure. Indy agrees and proposes to Marion who, of course, accepts.

They return to the States and are married. The owner of the Museum decides to promote Indy to the Museum's new curator. Indy hangs up his fedora as an adventurer, but continues teaching. Indy and Marion leave for their honeymoon which turns out to be something really wild and crazy (parachuting over a beautiful cliff in Guatalmala or jumping out of a plane in Hawaii or something) that would show the audience that even though Indy's hung up his hat, he'll always, always be an adventurer!

You were cutting it pretty close, Indyologist. It was too bad that it wasn't as good as your version of events in regards to Marion and Indy's relationship in KOTCS.