IndyFan

"Chrysthal skhull, my ballsh!"
The Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:23 PM   #52
ExpeditionJones
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forbidden Eye
Lord of the Rings, yes. The Matrix, no, not that I know of at least. He did turn down Dumbledore from Harry Potter as well I believe.

Anyone who believes Sean Connery didn't join because of the quality of the script is nothing more but a foolish and radical KOTCS hater.

Didn't is just occur to anyone that he didn't join Indy 4 because maybe, as he said, "Retirement is too damn fun"? Yeah, he has come out of retirement, but keep in mind, he said that statements over a year ago. People often have their opinions and attitudes towards things change in a year. Maybe he just wanted more time to relax, and after enough rest for 5 years, is ready to jump back into action.

Chances are if Indy 4 were getting made this year, he'd join it.
About the absence of Connery affecting KOTCS, I agree that it improved the movie quite a bit. One of the most dramatic scenes in the entire franchise and the best use of the "coming of age" story in Indy 4 is when Indy looks at his father's photo, having to deal with living in a time period he doesn't relate in as well as wondering is there much if any point left in life. And just hearing John William's grail theme as Indy stares at the picture makes the scene that much more touching and memorable. It also, as pointed out, makes the end a lot more natural as now with Marion and Mutt, he he regains the excitement and meaning in life he felt was gone at the beginning.

While it's a mild shame we only got to see Henry Jones Sr. in just one installment, the ending in LC is the perfect ending for him and makes the old "franchise-closer" relevant.

Yeah, he did. He said in an interview in The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Oh hey..another bad film he was in.
ExpeditionJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 08:36 PM   #53
No Ticket
IndyFan

I think it's less about Indy and more about he had the opportunity to be in a move based on Arabian Nights... something he probably read and enjoyed... and always would have liked to be in but never got the chance?. So he is coming out of retirement specifically for that role.

But. Who knows.
No Ticket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:44 AM   #54
Wilhelm
IndyFan

I think Connery wanted too much money for little scenes in his house and in the wedding, and Spielberg/Lucas/Marshall didn't want to increase the budget at that point. The movie works better without Connery because we felt Indy's solitude and the passing of time.
Wilhelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:33 AM   #55
Darth Vile
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilhelm
I think Connery wanted too much money for little scenes in his house and in the wedding, and Spielberg/Lucas/Marshall didn't want to increase the budget at that point. The movie works better without Connery because we felt Indy's solitude and the passing of time.

Was it really a money thing? Never read/heard that...
Darth Vile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:44 AM   #56
Niteshade007
IndyFan

Oops...

Oh well, you can't win 'em all.
Niteshade007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 11:15 AM   #57
torao
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niteshade007
Oops...

Oh well, you can't win 'em all.

Nothing against Bollywood-stars ...but this whole thing seemed a bit fishy to me. It was interesting to have this thread resurrected, though!
torao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 09:08 PM   #58
Shortie
IndyFan

You're talking about the guy who was in "League of Extradoirnary Gentlmen".

Even the haters if Indy 4, must think Indy 4's a masterpiece compared to that.
Shortie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:49 AM   #59
Sankara

Fact is: Connery turned down Matrix 2 and 3! NOT Matrix!

Hes said: Everything depends on the script..

So, yes he didn't like the script. Like many-many-many others in the world. What a wise man...
Sankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:37 AM   #60
Darth Vile
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankara
Fact is: Connery turned down Matrix 2 and 3! NOT Matrix!

Hes said: Everything depends on the script..

So, yes he didn't like the script. Like many-many-many others in the world. What a wise man...

You are again leaping to conclusions like a supreme idiot...
Old 10-31-2008, 06:12 AM   #61
Sankara

No, you do...
Sankara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 06:32 AM   #62
Finn

Okay kids, just gimme a good reason to book some tickets to the Banana Islands.

You should know the rules. No personal insults - and no behavior that could lead to those.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 07:09 AM   #63
Darth Vile
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn
Okay kids, just gimme a good reason to book some tickets to the Banana Islands.

You should know the rules. No personal insults - and no behavior that could lead to those.

Finn.

Many here are trying to have logical and worthy debates around the movie (be they from the pro or anti KOTCS camp). However… I feel that some are simply baiting by stating the same thing over and over again e.g. to paraphrase “it’s proof that everyone hates KOTCS and it’s the worst Indiana Jones movie”. Now of course that’s only an opinion… and those who have it are welcome to it. But stating it again and again, as if it’s an automated response stamp, is not conducive to good-natured debate.

I’m more than happy to frequent boards where there is a modicum of good natured baiting/banter (as I do it myself)… but there is always a risk that 1) It derails the thread. 2) It turns personal and gets out of hand.

So all I’m saying (in a drawn out way), is sometimes it’s easier to focus on a heated reaction rather than looking at root cause i.e. the original statement that was designed to illicit a certain response…
Old 10-31-2008, 03:38 PM   #64
Niteshade007
IndyFan

I don't think it's ridiculous to assume that Connery didn't like the script. Since he did say "it depends on the script," then decided he didn't want to do the movie after reading the script, it's not a huge leap in logic to assume he wasn't wowed by it. Now, whether he thought that the writing was crap, or he didn't like that his character was in there for two pages and then forgotten, I don't know. But the fact remains that he decided not to do the movie after reading the script.
Niteshade007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 05:56 AM   #65
Major West
IndyFan

Connery said he was looking forward to seeing the finished movie like everybody else. So no, he did not hate the script, he just decided to stay in retirement.
Major West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 01:33 AM   #66
Kingsley
IndyFan

I don't know Connerys real reasons, and don't care.
Yes, it would've been nice to see him in the movie... I don't know were he could fit, but I have Darabonts script as an example of what could have been. And his scenes there were brief and far from spectacular, but they could have work good... not only a cameo.

Now, I agree that Henry's Sr. death reference was one of the top emotional moments of the movie. And that's not a good sign, because nothing new could compete with simple nostalgia... even in 'transcendetal' moments they used old music (marions theme, henry sr/grial theme) to get it to work.
Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:11 AM   #67
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

Was I the only one who didn't feel any emotional resonance with Henry Sr.'s death? I mean, Harrison is great in the scene, but it's handled in such a hamfisted way, with the two portraits of the two unavailable actors (due to death and retirement respectively) being shown and pointed to within a single line. It was forced and hard to take very seriously.

"Brutal couple of years, eh Charlie? First Dad, then Marcus, then Shorty in that threshing machine mishap, then Sallah collapsing backwards into an open manhole, then Willie skydiving without a parachute, then Earl Weber pogosticking blindfolded into that crater of wet cement. And the weird thing is, it all happened on the same weekend."
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 12:42 PM   #68
Darth Vile
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
Was I the only one who didn't feel any emotional resonance with Henry Sr.'s death? I mean, Harrison is great in the scene, but it's handled in such a hamfisted way, with the two portraits of the two unavailable actors (due to death and retirement respectively) being shown and pointed to within a single line. It was forced and hard to take very seriously.

"Brutal couple of years, eh Charlie? First Dad, then Marcus, then Shorty in that threshing machine mishap, then Sallah collapsing backwards into an open manhole, then Willie skydiving without a parachute, then Earl Weber pogosticking blindfolded into that crater of wet cement. And the weird thing is, it all happened on the same weekend."

I'm not sure how else they could have played it without it taking up unnecessary screen time…

Given that Henry Jones Senior didn’t have a death scene “on screen”, it was always going to be a retrospective acknowledgement of his death, rather than some in-depth explanation with major plot ramifications.

I didn't feel particularly emotional about the scene (although it certainly brought back fond memories of TLC when watching)... But within context of an Indy movie, I thought it was well written and well acted
Old 11-02-2008, 01:33 PM   #69
Kingsley
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Udvarnoky
Was I the only one who didn't feel any emotional resonance with Henry Sr.'s death?
"Top emotional moment" doesn't mean I was with tears in my eyes
Kingsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:57 PM   #70
Udvarnoky
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingsley
"Top emotional moment" doesn't mean I was with tears in my eyes

Oh, I know that. I just mean I don't think the movie entirely succeeded with what it was going for there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vile
But within context of an Indy movie, I thought it was well written and well acted

Interesting.
Udvarnoky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 06:12 PM   #71
The Man
IndyFan

Perhaps 'hate' is excessive. He certainly wasn't enamoured with it. As lifeless as the movie emerged on film, reading the 'script' itself must have been torturous...
Old 11-02-2008, 10:12 PM   #72
MaxPhactor23
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major West
Connery said he was looking forward to seeing the finished movie like everybody else. So no, he did not hate the script, he just decided to stay in retirement.

Who the heck are you...Connery? You don't know that and it's completely logical to assume that he was less then thrilled by it. The truth is that anyone that says different is a nutty over-the-top Skull supporter that's in deep denial about it's less then positive public opinion.
MaxPhactor23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 03:51 AM   #73
Finn

No reaching the logic, kids... to back one argument or another.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:22 AM   #74
Major West
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxPhactor23
Who the heck are you...Connery? You don't know that and it's completely logical to assume that he was less then thrilled by it. The truth is that anyone that says different is a nutty over-the-top Skull supporter that's in deep denial about it's less then positive public opinion.

No, it's true. It's a fact. He SAID he was looking forward to seeing the finished movie like everybody else but he decided to stay in retirement. Face it his role wasn't huge even in the darabont script.

How can anybody say he didn't do it because he hated the script considering he made bad film like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Think about it, yeah. Try and let objectivity and sense penetrate that addled challenged mind.

Last edited by Major West : 11-03-2008 at 07:29 AM.
Major West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 07:35 AM   #75
The Man
IndyFan

Connery said the only movie that could lure him from retirement was another Indiana Jones. Yet, he turned it down. His decision was based on the lesser screentime Henry Sr. would have had and the appalling dialogue, hodge-podge plot and the overall cynicism of the script.

Sean has emerged from this as one of the smarter cookies...