Is it a box office failure?

Travis85

I just heard the movie is now number 3 at the box office :p And it has only made some 60 million or so. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be performing at the box office =/.

IH8Snakes

Travis85 said:
I just heard the movie is now number 3 at the box office :p And it has only made some 60 million or so. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to be performing at the box office =/.

It has made 25 mil and 31 mil on Thursday/Friday. The weekend numbers arent out yet. How is it a failure?

Crusade>Raiders

Uh...its made 92 million dollars in America in 3 days. It looking to make 150 million when you add today and Memorial day totals. Its made about 60 million overseas.

Its not going to be Spidey 3/Pirates or anything like that, hell it won't even beat ROTS's 5-day opening weekend on Memorial Day two years ago, but it will definitely turn a profit. 300 million in America ALONE is highly possible, and who knows what is gonna happen overseas.

I hope it makes as much money as possible; a Indy 5 is (another) dream come true.

Travis85

I too hope that it makes lots of money :) Not only so there will be an Indy V or a Mutt movie, but because it would be a sad day to see Indy fail and see the public no longer has a good taste in movies :p.

gallandro

By the end of the holiday Indy will have taken in $150 million domestically and nearly $100 million internationally. Additionally, unlike other "big" releases, this movie does not appear frontloaded. It's box office take has gone up every day Thurs-Sat, most sequels do not do that... they make big money opening day and slowly drop off over the weekend.

So no, it's not a failure...

Yancy

clorrificus

you gotta understand that indy is one of those movies with "legs" so it will continue to be a hit in the coming weeks. even if it isnt at number one later, it will still make tons of money over time.

plus overseas...good lord. thats a lot of dough.

Travis85

I want it to gross one billion dollars before it is done at theaters :p I know it won't happen, but someone has to dethrone Titanic.

sandiegojones

Travis85 said:
I too hope that it makes lots of money :) Not only so there will be an Indy V or a Mutt movie, but because it would be a sad day to see Indy fail and see the public no longer has a good taste in movies :p.
It's number 1 by faaaaaar! $126 million in 4 days is huge. It's the 10th biggest 3 day weekend ever! Plus we still have tomorrow since it's a holiday and no way is Sex and the City going beat it next week.

IH8Snakes

sandiegojones said:
It's number 1 by faaaaaar! $126 million in 4 days is huge. It's the 10th biggest 3 day weekend ever! Plus we still have tomorrow since it's a holiday and no way is Sex and the City going beat it next week.

If Sex and the City beats it, I am never watching a movie again!

:p

Crusade>Raiders

So it has an estimate of about $126,000,000 in America alone in 3 days(and since its an estimate, it might be a little higher). Its going well past 150 million in 5 days. Hell, if it keeps up this it'll be the number one Memorial Day weekend ever(currently Revenge of the Sith is the Memorial Day weekend champ with $158,449,700).

Indiana Jones is gonna be a huge success.

Young Indy

It is doing awesome at the boxoffice. I was at a 11:50AM showing today and I thought there wouldn't be that many people there. It was completely filled and I had to sit 3 rows from the front for my 4th viewing!

Vendetta08

So far it has the highest opening weekend of the year and that's not even counting what it made on Thursday! The movie is doing great.

I hope it has good legs. I will gouge my eyeballs out if Sex and the City beats it next weekend.

Crusade>Raiders

Vendetta08 said:
So far it has the highest opening weekend of the year and that's not even counting what it made on Thursday! The movie is doing great.

I hope it has good legs. I will gouge my eyeballs out if Sex and the City beats it next weekend.

If Sex and the City beats it next weekend, I'm gonna kill the next poster :gun:

Crusade>Raiders

Crap double post, but it does relate to the thread. I guess I'll be performing suicide if Sex and the City wins.

International audiences dig 'Indiana'
Film is sixth biggest foreign launch of all time

By DAVE MCNARY

"Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" found a massive international treasure with $143 million at 8,300 playdates in 56 markets -- the sixth biggest foreign launch of all time.

As expected due to the franchise's worldwide recognition, "Crystal Skull" dominated in every market with all demos responding strongly. The U.K. led the way with $21.5 million, following by France with $14.1 million, Germany with $12.6 million, Spain with $11.7 million, South Korea with $10 million, Australia with $9 million, Russia with $8.4 million, Italy with $6.5 million, Brazil with $5.7 million and Mexico with $4.5 million.

The offshore opening nearly matched the $144 million launch of "Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith." Only four other films -- "Pirates of the Carribean: At World's End," "Spider-Man 3," "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix" and "The Da Vinci Code" -- have posted bigger international opening weekends.

"Crystal Skull easily outperformed "Transformers," which went on to gross nearly $400 million, in major markets such as 84% higher in the U.K., 138% better in France and 153% higher in Germany.

Several mid-tier markets generated notable numbers for "Crystal Skull" such as Poland with $3.7 million -- 384% better than "Transformers. Denmark grossed $2.4 million and Taiwan generated $2.1 million.

After four days, the fourth Indiana Jones pic is already the fourth best performer in foreign markets among 2008 titles, trailing only "Iron Man," "Bienvenue Chez les Ch'tis" and "10,000 B.C."

The frame also saw Disney's "The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian" continue generating decent biz early in its foreign run with $18 million at 3,360 from 13 markets. Japan -- the only major market without a "Crystal Skull" opening -- led the way with a first-place launch weekend of $7.7 million at 320 as it outgrossed the next four films.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117986429.html?categoryid=13&cs=1

So add that to its four day domestic gross of $126,000,000, and it has a total of 269 million in four days worldwide. 300 mil WW for five-day opening looks to be a lock. Also, remember that Sunday is just estimates, so it could be a few million dollars higher.

Last edited: