Ark of the Covenant

Pale Horse

Staff member
Fair enough, always room for learning. But why would it regain it's importance, if it wasn't supposed to be a part of His design. I foresee it as being desecrated in the time of the antichrist, prior to it being reestablished in Heaven.

This proposes another question. Much of Revelation is allegorical. Ark and Heaven could have two different meanings.

Venture

First Law of Hermeneutics: When common sense makes sense, look for no other sense. I believe a lot of the Revelation isn't as symbolic as some would like to think. Surely, there is the allegory of dragons and beasts, but the realm of the spiritual is more real than that of the physical. The events, as far as I can tell, are literally spelled out. It's just a matter of where they take place. One does affect the other, y'know.

Pale Horse

Staff member
Preaching to the choir, my friend. :D

My only hope is to witness all this from a different world view, if you know what I mean...

Venture

Obligatory second post: Revelation has been debated for centuries, and I in no way claim complete understanding. Considering the time we live in, everyone has a Revelation interpretation and fascination...I doubt we'll resolve anything. But the conversation's good, Thanatos...you never fail to thrall me with your acumen.

Venture

apalehorse said:
Preaching to the choir, my friend. :D

My only hope is to witness all this from a different world view, if you know what I mean...

Amen, my good buddy. I'll see ya there!

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Another post of clairifcation:
Cain, I did not mean to say that all of Judaism is irrelavant. Rather, most of the legalism is. (such as rules about pork, prayer, and various other rituals.) Jesus, when he died, put an end to most of the those pratices since he was the ulimate sacrafice. However, we must remember that Jesus was a Jew, so the foundation of Christianity is no doubt found in Judaism.
I personally believe that Rev. shows a long period of time, and that many of the things have come to pass several times already. The Ark will return to the Temple someday, but the sacrafices done at the Temple will be meaningless because of the sacrafice Jesus gave on the cross.
Just to clairify...:)

Pale Horse

Staff member
(thanks, for this thread, I hope we all honor it)

I don't know what the vB code is for small print

[Edited by apalehorse on 12-03-2003 at 11:45 am]

Pale Horse

Staff member
I am still somewhat in a fog about why the Ark would play a part in Heaven...I don't think it has been resolved or speculated.

Venture

I don't believe it does. I believe it's a type of the Throne of God, which is in Heaven, but an outdated one. One that has no practical spiritual application. It's recovery and reenstatement will just be a ritualistic return to what the Jews of old were used to...legalism.

(If anyone here is Jewish, please understand that I have the utmost respect for God's covenant people.)

Pale Horse

Staff member
I struggle with that. Why would God allow something of insignificant importance into Heaven...it doesn't sit well with who I understand Him to be.

Venture

Venture said:
I need to clarify: I've recently changed my position, and believe the "in heaven" in Rev 11:19 refers to God, not the temple. I believe the Ark is here on Earth. Not only that, but I believe it's within Israeli possession. If you read Young's Literal Translation, it pairs the "in heaven" part with God, not the temple. I'm cuurently learning koine Greek, and only then be able to settle this to my own satisfaction, but until then, for the record, the Ark is in Israel, ready and waiting to be placed in the temple.

I don't think it's in Heaven. The literal translation of the Greek in Rev. 11:19 pairs the "in heaven" with God, no the temple.

Venture

Clarification: in the above post, I meant that the Throne was in Heaven, and the Ark is an earthly correspondence to it.

Pale Horse

Staff member
That helps....sort of, but still the confusion.

<small>no need to mention that the ways of the Lord are beyond that of man, no matter what I believe about James 1</small>

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
<small>I must say that this has been one of the best religous conversations the Raven has ever had, they always end up with the two camps mud slinging...it is nice to see that we can all behave like grownups...carry on.</small>

Venture

apalehorse said:
That helps....sort of, but still the confusion.

<small>no need to mention that the ways of the Lord are beyond that of man, no matter what I believe about James 1</small>
What confuses?

hffan2000

here's a thought,
God could have ordained that the ark only be used for a certain time period and therefore when its time of use was finished brought it up to heaven and therefore what john saw in revelation as far as it being in heaven was real. the axum theory is also one i consider.

Venture

hffan2000 said:
here's a thought,
God could have ordained that the ark only be used for a certain time period and therefore when its time of use was finished brought it up to heaven and therefore what john saw in revelation as far as it being in heaven was real. the axum theory is also one i consider.

Axum's a good one.