Location Ideas

Tequileros

Why aren't they doing the old ideas for the movies. I readed something about a motorcycle race on The Wall in Berlin.
But ok, we had 2 movies where the Germans take place, so we need another enemy. Well, you know... I wont say anything more 'cause I will put that in my own movie ;)!

P

pablomiki

Spain is different!

Not because it´s where I live, but yes because it´s what I perfectly know. And also Spielberg does. The problem here is wether the location chosen for the film is real or not. I mean, Spain has been used as perfect substitute for El Cairo, capital of Egypt in "Lawrence of Arabia", the southern city of Seville was transformed into the unrecognizable version of Russia that David Lean created for "Doctor Zhivago".
The resemblances between these two directors, Lean and Spielberg, have often referred by the latter. It´s no strange then that Spielberg had considered Spain "the best set in the world" and had used it in "The Empire of the sun" and "Indiana Jones and the last crusade" -all the scenes of the desert and the tank struggle were filmed in Almería, on the south of my country.
Nevertheless, his friend George Lucas has also recorded some material of Seville´s Plaza de España square for Star Wars Episode II.
All this give some clues about one of the possible locations of Indy 4. Tell me other places where indy films had taken place and what places were they supposed to be on screen!

Dr. HenryJones.jr

Sevilla? i knew the location of spain and i was been once time and saw the beautiful the city.
i want to meet the real spielberg's studio, if i meet a luck.

H. Jones Jnr

I think people are losing the point here. The locations will be dictated by the story. They can pretty much shoot anything anywhere from the entire planet (or others) on any set these days. Even back in 1980 they managed to make a dusty set in Elstree look like a snowy tavern in Nepal.

I personally would like to see a snowy adventure, based in Scandinavia maybe? I very much liked the way Max McCoys Hollow Earth looked into the religious aspects of the Nazi party and its roots in Norse mythology.
But ofcourse its an Indy adventure so there's always more than one location (need to have the red line on the map thingy). Another place he hasn't explored in the movies is an urban/city setting. It's been long enough that an urban environment from back then would seem quite alien to us now to make it interesting enough.

I also like the idea of China, again already explored a bit in Max McCoys Secret of the Sphynx (and probably others).

Joe Brody

It's not really a locale, but. . . .

. . . in Indy IV I would like to see Indy complete one of his "red line" journeys by flying "space available" on a United States Air Force flight.

With respect to the story, I could see Indy in a bind and having to get to some far-flung destination fast -- like Japan. In the early 1950's probably no airline was flying as many flights to as many global destinations as the good ol' U.S. armed forces. While "space-available" is for uniformed military personnel and their dependents, I could see Indy getting a seat by any number of means -- from (i) calling in a favor, (ii) to having someone (with rank) recognize Indy from the War and then give up his/her seat, or (iii) to the typical way in which Indy gets access to someplace he's not supposed to be (he steals a uniform). Whatever the method, this scene could be used to show that Indy did serve during the war (as more fully discussed on the WWII thread) and to show something about the U.S.'s global role in the early 1950's.

One of the things that irks me in the first three movies is that for the most part Indy's travel arrangements just happen (with seeming ease). There's always someone like a Marcus, Sallah or Dan Akroyd to do the dirty work. Here in the 2000's, I wish that I could effect my more humble travels with as much ease as Indy seemingly effected his great global jaunts back in the 1930's.

I think it would expand on Indy's character if we were shown him having to be a little creative in acheiving his travel objectives (especially, if time-is-of-the-essence in the plot). I also think this would be a good point of distinction between Indy and other action adventure heroes like James Bond and Lara Croft (Sp?) who are able to jump around the globe with ease due to resources at their disposal.

[As for real locales, I wouldn't be surprised to see Indy in Cuba for the reasons I posted in the Cuba thread.]

[Edited by Joe Brody on 01-12-2004 at 06:40 am]

Randy_Flagg

Earth locations are so yesterday. I'm hoping Indy gets abducted by aliens early on in the film, and they send him on an intergalactic hunt for a lost alien artifact. Instead of the traditional "red-line on map" sequence, we'll see a red-line on a star map as his spaceship carries him from one solar system to another, all while being pursued by EVIL ALIEN SPACE NAZIS! Yes, Indy4 is destined for GREATNESS! Just let me write the script, dammit!!

Joe Brody

. . . but isn't that the premise of the Jimmy Neutron sequel?

Also, with respect to my prior post, am I the only one irked by the ease with which Indy seems to travel?

[Edited by Joe Brody on 01-12-2004 at 11:44 am]

Pale Horse

Staff member
Joe Brody said:
. . . but isn't that the premise of the Jimmy Neutron sequel?

Also, with respect to my prior post, am I the only one irked by the ease with which Indy seems to travel?

[Edited by Joe Brody on 01-12-2004 at 11:44 am]

I am not exactally sure what you mean here, Joe. Do you want the movies to show him removeing his shoes? I'm sure the 30's were much easier to travel in than now.

Joe Brody

Re: It's not really a locale, but. . . .

Joe Brody said:
. . . in Indy IV I would like to see Indy complete one of his "red line" journeys by flying "space available" on a United States Air Force flight.

With respect to the story, I could see Indy in a bind and having to get to some far-flung destination fast -- like Japan. In the early 1950's probably no airline was flying as many flights to as many global destinations as the good ol' U.S. armed forces. While "space-available" is for uniformed military personnel and their dependents, I could see Indy getting a seat by any number of means -- from (i) calling in a favor, (ii) to having someone (with rank) recognize Indy from the War and then give up his/her seat, or (iii) to the typical way in which Indy gets access to someplace he's not supposed to be (he steals a uniform). Whatever the method, this scene could be used to show that Indy did serve during the war (as more fully discussed on the WWII thread) and to show something about the U.S.'s global role in the early 1950's.

One of the things that irks me in the first three movies is that for the most part Indy's travel arrangements just happen (with seeming ease). There's always someone like a Marcus, Sallah or Dan Akroyd to do the dirty work. Here in the 2000's, I wish that I could effect my more humble travels with as much ease as Indy seemingly effected his great global jaunts back in the 1930's.

I think it would expand on Indy's character if we were shown him having to be a little creative in acheiving his travel objectives (especially, if time-is-of-the-essence in the plot). I also think this would be a good point of distinction between Indy and other action adventure heroes like James Bond and Lara Croft (Sp?) who are able to jump around the globe with ease due to resources at their disposal.

[As for real locales, I wouldn't be surprised to see Indy in Cuba for the reasons I posted in the Cuba thread.]

apalehorse,

Here's my prior post in which I'm pitching the idea that Indy has to use some creative means to do his globe hopping. At a time when travel was supposedly harder than today (the 1950's was the dawn of the jet-age), I'd like see some of the travel-related challenges from that time period worked into the plot. For example, I sure there weren't hourly departures out of Idewild (JFK?) to London back in the 1950's, and I think it would be neat to see Indy have to do something like sneak his way on to a military flight because he has to get somewhere in a hurry. In the first three movies, all the red-line trips just happen . . .and it seems like a big part of what is an Indiana Jones adventure (global travel) is glossed over. I recognize that the red-line trips are used to keep the action moving but I think Indy's traveling could really add something to Indy IV.

LASTCRUSADER

I would like to see Jones travel somewhere cold and snowy. The Arctic would be a good spot. I don't think that the entire film should take place there but at least a small sequence in the film would be cool.

Randy_Flagg

LASTCRUSADER said:
I would like to see Jones travel somewhere cold and snowy. The Arctic would be a good spot. I don't think that the entire film should take place there but at least a small sequence in the film would be cool.

Based on previous threads, I think a lot of us agree with you on that. I think a dog-sled chase sequence would be great. (Yes, I know the first Tomb Raider movie had dog-sleds, but they completely wasted the premise by having absolutely nothing exciting happen on the sleds. With Indy, I want to see the dogs racing across the tundra while Indy and the villains exchange gunshots. And considering how deep some of those craters are on the icebergs, there's plenty of opportunties for cliff-hangers... literally.)

Joe Brody

Renderking Fisk said:
What I would like to see is Jones trying to get to perhaps one of the most difficult places in the world and being unable to get there.

The kind of place where no one will charter him a flight or a truck... somewhere dark and dangerous.

I really like the sound of that -- by the early '50's those "dark and dangerous" places were disappearing fast and I'd love to see Indy going to one of the last remaining desolate areas.

It was all over by the early 1960's -- definitely by the time Walt Disney was sending camera crews all over the globe for his wildlife films.

Webley,

Your Grand Canyon idea doesn't have anything to do with a Noah's Ark type story does it?

Webley

Originally posted by Joe Brody
Webley,

Your Grand Canyon idea doesn't have anything to do with a Noah's Ark type story does it? [/B]
No I gest think it would be cool to see Dr. Jones at the Grand Canyon... and the U.S mob as the bad guys.

Why do you ask is the Ark sead to be in the canyon?

Joe Brody

Webley said:
Why do you ask is the Ark sead to be in the canyon?

No, but I've read recent press accounts about Creationists who have been waging on again/off again battles with the U.S. Parks Service to post signs in the park regarding the Grand Canyon being the product of what I think they call the Great Flood. I'm not trying to turn this into an artifact discussion - but I just through there might be a connection.

Don't you think that the Grand Canyon is too similar to the opening footage in Arches that is seen in LC?

Randy_Flagg

Renderking Fisk said:
It's kinda funny if you think about it... When Jonse went after the ark, Manned Flight was only 33 years old.

HAHAHAHAH!!!!!!! Jeez, that's hilarious!!!
(oh, wait, you didn't mean "funny" like that... never mind.)