Story Ideas for Indy V

emtiem

Okay, here's some ideas I've been having. Not fully fleshed-out and with some vague details in some places, but some areas where I could see the film developing! :) I've taken some the aspects of City of the Gods which I thought were particularly good and which I'd like to see make it to the next film.

Start the film in perhaps Mexico: Indy is on a field trip with his students (it'd be fun to have him dressed sort of half-college Professor and half adventure Indy: perhaps his normal leather jacket etc. with bow tie and glasses!) but on the way back their bus has been hijacked by bandits. Indy is driving at gunpoint; however the bandits seem panicked by something else- headlights in the distance behind them- they're on the run. Indy meanwhile is concerned by the weather: they're forcing him into a storm that he'd been wary to avoid. He eventually persuades them that the conditions are dangerous and they pull up to an old abandoned hotel as a storm gathers over them. The bandits' pursers catch up with them however, just as a hurricane begins to rage outside! It becomes clear that the bandits have stolen something belonging to the second party and a full battle rages in the old hotel- Indy and his students take the chance to get free, but get caught up in the fight- Indy finds himself doing battle with both sets of antagonists whilst also running through the house saving his students from varying predicaments- much like spinning plates! All the while there's a hurricane raging outside, resulting in people being sucked through the windows, trees smashing through the walls etc. and the whole building being slowly destroyed as both the bandits and their pursuers battle each other and the elements! Eventually Indy rounds up his students into one of the old cage elevators (he takes roll call!) just as he sees the building showing signs of falling apart- he accidentally finds himself with the stolen item which is being fought over (which of course wasn't his priority- he was just trying to save his kids)-a book- and hops in the elevator. He cuts the cables and the elevator plunges to the basement- just as the entire hotel is destroyed by the storm! The college party eventually rise from the wreckage of the storm as Indy considers his new prize...

The next stage of the trip find Indy in Monte Carlo; he's wired ahead about his new discovery and Stanforth appears to continue the students' field trip and take them on. Indy is convinced that the book he has found confirms the existence of an even greater prize concerning the legends surrounding satanic beliefs and tells Marion about this, who has also met him in the city. Indy however is content not to go on another chase and intends to call a press conference in order to allow someone else to find the greater prize. A young up-and coming French adventurer is there (we see TV footage his exploits- he's like a young Indy- everyone thinks Indy is jealous even though he was actually very magnanimous; although slightly annoyed at the youngster's attempts to belittle him) and Indy tells Marion that he'll be happy to pass on what he's found out- he's too old to go chasing this discovery. The Frenchman asks Indy to meet, which they do at a cafe. He tells Indy that he thinks that the book may be from a much rumoured secret library- established by the Vatican and containing a great many banned and dangerous texts: anyone who could find and access the library would be privy to many great secrets. It becomes clear, however, that neither invited the other; they've been set up. Before they can work out who, French is shot in the back- we see a bullet hole in the window behind him as he slumps forward. A woman screams, there is panic with people running and a pistol is kicked towards Indy on the ground. He picks it up just as a camera flashes in his face! He notices the killer escaping over the photographer's shoulder, and just as he makes to go after him the police arrive -too quickly (their chief wears a mysterious pin badge) and Indy is forced to run when they appear to be about to execute him on the spot! He takes to the rooftops and uses the many washing lines to help his escape whilst chasing after the killer. Eventually he heads him off and they fight on the rooftops- first up an old clocktower and then onto the roof- the killer falls to his death as Indy tries to grab onto his jacket to save him, but he falls out of the jacket. Indy checks the jacket- the killer was wearing the same lapel badge as the police chief! He searches through the jacket and finds a train locker key.
He finds Marion and tells her that he has to find out what it's all about- firstly by working out who arranged his meet with the Frenchman and hopefully by finding the hidden library. He tells her that it's dangerous and he has to clear his name alone: she hands him a bag containing his adventure gear: hat, whip and all: she knew what he was planning. Indy makes a run for it as the police arrive: Marion stalls them.
Later, as Indy boards a train in disguise, Marion makes a call to Germany: Mutt is stationed there as a G.I. and she tells him that his father is in trouble- he prepares to go AWOL to go and follow Indy's trail: until he's found by his CO. He is about to stop Mutt when it becomes clear who he's trying to help out: 'You mean Colonel Jones?.......

lao che & sons

This is amazing! I love it. I was going to say something about Indy 5 and INdy moving to chicago or something.. morgan freeman.. i don't know. But this is simply the most Different Indiana Jones fan script I've ever read. Please continue!

Hans

visionz13 said:
NO MORE, I REPEAT, NO MORE MARION GETTING KIDNAPPED!!!

How about no more Marion, PERIOD!!

I just saw some pictures of Sean Connery recently, he still looks good. What if he was believed to be dead when say *his plane crashed* or something, but he actually isnt. Indy starts recieving letters with clues to something, and that eventually leads him to re-teaming with his father, and now we have three generations of Jones'. Why cant we get Connery back? Money talks.

I predict correct, so you expect.

I want willie scott back darn it:cool:

Darth Vile

emtiem said:
Okay, here's some ideas I've been having. Not fully fleshed-out and with some vague details in some places, but some areas where I could see the film developing! :) I've taken some the aspects of City of the Gods which I thought were particularly good and which I'd like to see make it to the next film.

Start the film in perhaps Mexico: Indy is on a field trip with his students (it'd be fun to have him dressed sort of half-college Professor and half adventure Indy etc. etc.......

A very good start... Keep it up. ;)

emtiem

Cool- glad you like it! I thought it being in the 50's a glamorous Hitchcock-feel might be nice to kick the film off: Indy as The Wrong Man and all that! (And obviously there's a shocking North By Northwest ripoff in there too! Actually, why not go the whole hog and have him chased down on foot by two MASH-style helicopters!) Not sure if I made it clear but the idea is that Indy is framed in order to stop the press conference and discredit anything he's already revealed to anyone: someone wants his discovery kept quiet!
Add in a bit of Da Vinci Code-style secret society stuff and you've got some slightly new ground for Indy, although obviously he'll need to get back to riding a horse at some point! :) I must have a think about it a bit more and work out where he goes...

Darth Vile

emtiem said:
Cool- glad you like it! I thought it being in the 50's a glamorous Hitchcock-feel might be nice to kick the film off: Indy as The Wrong Man and all that! (And obviously there's a shocking North By Northwest ripoff in there too! Actually, why not go the whole hog and have him chased down on foot by two MASH-style helicopters!) Not sure if I made it clear but the idea is that Indy is framed in order to stop the press conference and discredit anything he's already revealed to anyone: someone wants his discovery kept quiet!
Add in a bit of Da Vinci Code-style secret society stuff and you've got some slightly new ground for Indy, although obviously he'll need to get back to riding a horse at some point! :) I must have a think about it a bit more and work out where he goes...

I think there are many here (as we've discussed it in other threads), who'd like to see a "Hitchcockian" type Indy on the run movie... as it harkens back to a distinct genre type of enjoyable romp. ;)

Lance Quazar

Darth Vile said:
I think there are many here (as we've discussed it in other threads), who'd like to see a "Hitchcockian" type Indy on the run movie... as it harkens back to a distinct genre type of enjoyable romp. ;)

Elements that were touched on in the sadly unproduced City of the Gods screenplay. What a shame!!

lao che & sons

Hans said:
I want willie scott back darn it:cool:

I much as I love Willie Scott there is no way that she could come back and make it be a coincidense. And because I believe she because a film star in the 40's it would take more than a coincidense to get her back.

Dewy9

I was thinking about this the other day, both because I'm a huge fan of his music and because he was great in Labyrinth- have the big baddie be David Bowie. Lately, his career has leaned toward acting. I'm not sure if it would work, but I think it would be fun to see.

Hanselation

going downwards

Arctic as location would be nice - but please no kidnapping again.
There are signs of a lost civilization beyond the ice- a culture wich got a ...xxx-thing that could be used as a kind of ultimate weapon. - The era of the cold war: So maybe americans, neonazis and russians or even chinese are searching for it. Indy would be called by the CIA, because the signs are related to signs from the neolithic age - Indy's special métier.

...and Indy discovers, that the source of this civilisation is not under the ice, but on the australien continent....

Lao_Che

lao che & sons said:
I much as I love Willie Scott there is no way that she could come back and make it be a coincidense. And because I believe she because a film star in the 40's it would take more than a coincidense to get her back.

A prologue which has Willie Scott living off the profits of this film she made about this guy she met in 1935?

Hanselation

sandiegojones said:
Agreed. No Marion except for a small cameo (if it takes place after KOTCS).

What would be really interesting would be to have the film take place about 2 years prior to KOTCS and we see Henry Sr. die in the film. That could give the film an emotional lift that was missing from KOTCS (as well as making Indy's remarks to Stanforth in Skull more meaningful).

I like the idea of an Ancient Greek artifact or perhaps or perhaps a Norse one. I'd like to see some snowy environments or more sea faring set pieces. Deserts and jungles have been done enough I think. Sticking with ancient religions is good, but it doesn't have to be Judeo-Christian.

I could see Indy being in Thailand, Cambodia or Vietnam. The French were involved in Vietnam in the mid to late 50's before the US began fighting. I don't see Indy going into the 60's so this is a good place to end since the Vietnam War really changed things from that decade on. Perhaps Indy could have some French colleague there and then they get caught up in battle and then could have an "Apocalypse Now" style journey along a river to an ancient temple. Thailand has awesome beaches and temples. Plenty of natives in the jungles too.

That could be nice. It's a good origin!

I♥Indy

How about indy must find the fountain of youth, and instead of using his whip he could hit people with his walker!:D lol.

I don't know... i guess it would be allright if they had a new indiana jones with mutt, but it just would'nt be the same, No one could ever replace indy.

:whip:

Indy's brother

Wasn't Indy billed as an "Atomic Age Adventurer" for KOTCS? In keeping with that theme, how about something like this? An unexplainable/out-of-place artifact like the Dropa Stones (which apparently make some kind of eerie noise when oscillated, btw) hint at an alternate history of earth. A prehistoric earth with advanced technology whose history has been obliterated by an ancient full-scale global nuclear war. This could explain away all out-of-place artifacts. Abandoned ruins like the cliff-dwellers, or the Mayans (simply vaporized by a neutron bomb before they could use their own weapon?). Or the as-of-yet unsubstantiated lost city beneath Death Valley that supposedly contained mummies of 9 foot men buried along with mummified dinosaurs could be used. At least for inspiration.

The artifact/macguffin that drives the story would be the key to finding or triggering an ultimate weapon of mass destruction. Fits the Cold War atomic age themes, eh? Kind of derivative of ROTLA, I know, but not biblical. There are all kinds of ways to approach this Indy 5 concept, the small pyramids in Greece that resemble fallout shelters. The vitrified forts of scotland, tektite found in places all over the globe, etc, etc... There's a huge amount of theories and half-baked evidence online supporting the concept. I know it's a sketchy plot idea, but what do you guys think? Anyone want to build on this?

Montana Smith

Indy's brother said:
Wasn't Indy billed as an "Atomic Age Adventurer" for KOTCS? In keeping with that theme, how about something like this? An unexplainable/out-of-place artifact like the Dropa Stones (which apparently make some kind of eerie noise when oscillated, btw) hint at an alternate history of earth. A prehistoric earth with advanced technology whose history has been obliterated by an ancient full-scale global nuclear war. This could explain away all out-of-place artifacts. Abandoned ruins like the cliff-dwellers, or the Mayans (simply vaporized by a neutron bomb before they could use their own weapon?). Or the as-of-yet unsubstantiated lost city beneath Death Valley that supposedly contained mummies of 9 foot men buried along with mummified dinosaurs could be used. At least for inspiration.

The artifact/macguffin that drives the story would be the key to finding or triggering an ultimate weapon of mass destruction. Fits the Cold War atomic age themes, eh? Kind of derivative of ROTLA, I know, but not biblical. There are all kinds of ways to approach this Indy 5 concept, the small pyramids in Greece that resemble fallout shelters. The vitrified forts of scotland, tektite found in places all over the globe, etc, etc... There's a huge amount of theories and half-baked evidence online supporting the concept. I know it's a sketchy plot idea, but what do you guys think? Anyone want to build on this?

There is a story from the Mahabarata that Daeniken described in one of his books, of the Indian god who dropped a single projectile from his vimana flying machine and destroyed a cty. When his vimana landed it was glowing like a block on antimony. There were allegedly descriptions of peoples' hair and teeth falling out, supposing radiation sickness.

The story was pretty compelling, but knowing how Daeniken liked to elaborate, I don't know what the original story said.

kongisking

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Book_of_Mysteries

What if the scroll that we have is actually a carefully made fake, and Indy goes on a quest to locate the real one, hidden inside some ancient temple filled with traps and critters. And the Russians would be after it because, hey, who doesn't want to know the secret history of the universe? And since Indy is a seeker of knowledge, this is like the ULTIMATE artifact for him to go after.

Either this, or Aladdin's lamp. It could be like a live-action sequel to the Disney movie. I've always thought that film was full of cool Indiana Jones-worthy stuff (a booby-trapped underground cave full of forbidden treasures, only locatable by reuniting the pieces of a golden scarab? It screams Indy, for God's sake!).

Uki

My idea was this:

Mutt, enrolled at Marshall, has feelings for a girl (bonus points if she's played by Natalie Portman, as a nod to the old rumors that she would play Indy's daughter in 4) who doesn't pay any attention to him. Her sights are set on Proffessor Jones, whose adventures she has followed since childhood. She is also the last member in a family linked to some mysterious treasure/relic/artifact/MacGuffin/what have you.

Calling on his experiences in KOTCS, Mutt takes it upon himself to hunt down the relic with her, believing he is just as good as "Dad," and that he can hold his own in the field.

Naturally, Indy is called into action to come to their aid.

My two cents, and obviously it's open for a lot of possibilities as far as the actual MacGuffin, but I think it could make for a fun ride.:)