TheRaider.net
 

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-17-2009, 04:58 PM   #1
Indy Scout 117
IndyFan
 
Indy Scout 117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Greeley, Colorado
Posts: 435
what is it with vampires being romantic?

ok so i've been wondering: why are vampires considered so romantic??? i mean all they do is bite your neck, suck your blood and turn into bats...thats about it. whats so romantic about that???? ever since twilight came out (eeewww twilight... XP) vampires are considered romantic... WHY??? anyone got any good arguments as to how in the world they can be romantic??? i just dont get it...
Indy Scout 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:03 PM   #2
The Drifter
IndyFan
 
The Drifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: The distant figure that walks the treeline. The man standing in the field.
Posts: 4,152
I believe that Anne Rice (I may be mistaken) started it and it slowly snow-balled from there. Tons of cheap, cheesy erotic vampire horror movies never helped throughout the years. And, the whole emo/gothic culture spurred it on even further.
The Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
Finn
Moderator
 
Finn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Finland
Posts: 8,956
Tell you what. Walk up to a random person and ask if you can place your mouth on his or her neck. Get smacked. Repeat 'til you feel you've had enough.

Then try to achieve the same by acting all pleasant and making the person actually like you. Profit.



The bottom line is, vampires are technically nothing but a nasty bunch of bloodsuckers... but a matter-of-fact vampire is also a very hungry vampire.
Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:27 PM   #4
Rocket Surgeon
Guest
 
Rocket Surgeon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 8,872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonsome_Drifter
I believe that Anne Rice (I may be mistaken) started it and it slowly snow-balled from there. Tons of cheap, cheesy erotic vampire horror movies never helped throughout the years. And, the whole emo/gothic culture spurred it on even further.

There are always those who see homo erotic tones in the Bram Stoker novel...
Rocket Surgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:45 PM   #5
Meerkat
IndyFan
 
Meerkat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonsome_Drifter
I believe that Anne Rice (I may be mistaken) started it and it slowly snow-balled from there. Tons of cheap, cheesy erotic vampire horror movies never helped throughout the years. And, the whole emo/gothic culture spurred it on even further.

Yeah...I've never read any of Anne Rice's books, but I can tell you this: Stephenie Meyer thinks sparklepires are romantic, not vampires. THERE'S A DIFFERENCE, PEOPLE.
Meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:52 PM   #6
ResidentAlien
Guest
 
ResidentAlien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,303
Vampires have always been erotic. Well... not always, perhaps... Certainly not with the original Dracula novel or with the Jiang Shi. But at least since Lugosi inhabited the character. It became dark, brooding... erotic.

Of course, there's the fact that the act of sucking one's blood has so many sexual implications. It's essentially a BDSM concept. It's about submitting and dominating and there-in lies the eroticism.


And I'm in no way supporting Twilight or any tripe of that ilk. But I don't think erotic vampires are a bad thing. I think it provides certain depth and potential for metaphor that I found most appealing.


... and then there's always Vampyros Lesbos.
ResidentAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:26 PM   #7
Indy Scout 117
IndyFan
 
Indy Scout 117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Greeley, Colorado
Posts: 435
when i was working at scout camp, i was talking to one of the scouts and he was tellin me about the twilight movie (ive never seen it, never plan to) and he was tellin me about this scene where the one dude tells the chick that he watches her in her sleep...wow. how is that in any way romantic?!?!? thats stalkerism, and theres a difference between stalkerism and romance. now i guess one could argue that if you're napping, and you're watching them, i suppose that could kinda be considered romantic, but like watching you while youre sleeping in bed?? NOOOO!! thats just wrong!!! y'know what i mean????
Indy Scout 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 06:28 PM   #8
Agent Crab
IndyFan
 
Agent Crab's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Creepy Gopher Hole
Posts: 1,256
This reminds me of Meekat's Anti Twilight thread, but this thread has more logic. WHich I am sick of hearing about Twilight fans vs ANti-Twilight. If you hate it. Good. Enough is enough.


I know people who think Castlevania vampires are sexy and they were way before Twilight.
Agent Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 07:51 PM   #9
DocWhiskey
IndyFan
 
DocWhiskey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,386
Vampires are dark, mysterious, brood about the love of their life, and recently oh-so-dreamy creatures.

Some chicks dig that.

Especially the pre-teen ones.

The first time I started noticing it personally was when this 'lil show came on....




Which my friend got me into the spin-off of "Buffy" called "Angel". And it was actually quite awesome.
DocWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:37 PM   #10
Morning Bell
IndyFan
 
Morning Bell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Wherever there's adventure
Posts: 639
I don't understand all the hype around it but to each their own. It's a trend that's wearing really thin if you ask me.
Morning Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:05 PM   #11
indy34
IndyFan
 
indy34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Canberra, Australia
Posts: 771
Are we all forgetting lesbian vampire killers? ...athough I think resident may have been relating to it when he was talking about vampyros lesbos.
indy34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 09:51 PM   #12
ResidentAlien
Guest
 
ResidentAlien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by indy34
Are we all forgetting lesbian vampire killers? ...athough I think resident may have been relating to it when he was talking about vampyros lesbos.


Ugh. No.

Lesbian Vampire Killers is some silly looking, badly reviewed bit of Euro-Comedy that entices me none at all.


Vampyros Lesbos, on the other hand, is a classic 70s euro-trash sexploitation romp.
ResidentAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:04 PM   #13
KiKi Kat
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 175
I am a bit of a romantic and I do like to bite. I could quite possibly be a vampire.....
KiKi Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 10:07 PM   #14
Indy Scout 117
IndyFan
 
Indy Scout 117's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Greeley, Colorado
Posts: 435
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiKi Kat
I am a bit of a romantic and I do like to bite. I could quite possibly be a vampire.....
lol you sound kinda like my "sister"...dunno why but you kinda do...
Indy Scout 117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:09 AM   #15
tambourineman
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 102
lol, Vampires were sexy loooooooong before Anne Rice or Twilight. Women were swooning over Bela Lugosi 70 years ago.

It started with Bram Stoker's Dracula. Prior to that book, vampires were nothing more than mythical midless ghouls. Stoker used vampires as an allegory for the repressed victorian sexuality. Dracula's night time attacks on women were a metaphor for sex. Dracula creeps into womens beds at night and liberates their sexuality, turning prim and proper virgins into shameless sluts (in a metaphoric sense). Dracula was considered an erotic and controversial book in its time, and its assosciation of vampires with sex has stayed with us until today.
tambourineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 01:42 AM   #16
Stoo
IndyFan
 
Stoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Neuchâtel, Switzerland (Canadian from Montreal)
Posts: 8,026
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResidentAlien
Vampyros Lesbos, on the other hand, is a classic 70s euro-trash sexploitation romp.
Great soundrack, though!
Stoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 02:18 AM   #17
ResidentAlien
Guest
 
ResidentAlien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoo
Great soundrack, though!


Though?! You say it as if that's the only thing worth noting in that film!


Yeah, Vampyros Lesbos is a blast, Soledad Miranda was so sexy and died so tragically young, and the soundtrack is truly brilliant. Jess Franco's pretentiousness and frequent, erratic zooming really adds something to the proceedings... Something maddening to be sure! But I'm just a masochistic and I can't help but watch it... a lot... And I'll be damned if I don't enjoy it every time, maddening zooming or no.
ResidentAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #18
Meerkat
IndyFan
 
Meerkat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWhiskey
Vampires are dark, mysterious, brood about the love of their life, and recently oh-so-dreamy creatures.

Some chicks dig that.

Especially the pre-teen ones.

We probably like them because they're hard to get. It offers us a challenge (...)
Meerkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:28 AM   #19
Hans
IndyFan
 
Hans's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Crab
This reminds me of Meekat's Anti Twilight thread, but this thread has more logic. WHich I am sick of hearing about Twilight fans vs ANti-Twilight. If you hate it. Good. Enough is enough.


I know people who think Castlevania vampires are sexy and they were way before Twilight.

Hey catle vania is a good series and if you think anime vampires are sexy you have a problem
Hans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 10:54 AM   #20
avidfilmbuff
IndyFan
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: U.S.A.
Posts: 306
I remember hearing somewhere that Stoker may have used vampirism in his novel as a metaphor for venereal disease, although I could be wrong since I have never actually read the book, although this does seem to be the implication in the film adaptations.
avidfilmbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 11:42 AM   #21
Agent Crab
IndyFan
 
Agent Crab's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Creepy Gopher Hole
Posts: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
Hey catle vania is a good series and if you think anime vampires are sexy you have a problem

I'm a guy, so I am not really attracted to anime characters. Then again, there is Vampire Hunter D.

Castlevania is one of the most awesome and badass game series I have played, though. Mainly the Thrid installment on the NES.
Agent Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:43 PM   #22
DocWhiskey
IndyFan
 
DocWhiskey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Earth
Posts: 2,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meerkat
We probably like them because they're hard to get. It offers us a challenge (...)

And they're probably "hard to get" because they're, you know, fiction.
DocWhiskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 05:52 PM   #23
Agent Crab
IndyFan
 
Agent Crab's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Creepy Gopher Hole
Posts: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocWhiskey
And they're probably "hard to get" because they're, you know, fiction.
Too true.

I was once told, by someone.

People have their own view on vampires and differnt creatures of the night. I do know someone around the age of 20 back then liked sexy vampires and there has been "sexy" vampires way before Twilight existed.
Agent Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:28 AM   #24
RedeemedChild
IndyFan
 
RedeemedChild's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,663
Well mankind seems to have always been drawn toward the "strange" and the "supernatural" and "things that go bump in the night". However if one can find a way to overcome the fear that tends to come with the "eerie" and things from the supposed "beyond" and rationalize it then you'll get a whole boatload of people following something even if it seems a bit bizarre.



However as a Christian I never really got into things like Dracula, Castlevania, The Mummy, Bleach, Buffy: The Vampire Slayer or Charmed.

The very FIRST time I picked up ANYTHING having to do with the subject of Vampires was after I learned that Twilight was written by a Christian author and had a spiritual message of "sexual abstinence," that it was a story of redemption explaining the power of true love over lust and was drawn from the book of Genesis account of Eve's encounter with the Serpent and the "Forbidden Fruit."

However I don't actually think that people should be so hard on Stephenie Meyer. I think that what she had done was needful and that it is a nice way of helping mainstream youth take a sincere look at "love", "abstinence", and "spirituality."

One reason that I think Twilight has become so successful is because the youth can actually relate to it. I think the reason that young girls and many women find solace in The Twilight Saga is because they suffer abuse from abusive boyfriends/husbands and find them as being a kind of "Vampire" in their life and hope to (like Bella Swan) bring the good out of them and help their troubled (like Edward Cullen) husbands/boyfriends overcome the "monster" inside of them and in the same process find true love as opposed to lust and at last gain redemption.

I myself, can relate to the whole thing after having gone through a nightmare of sorts with someone whom although I have separated myself from her I still love in my heart and hope to one day somehow find a way of giving her and myself redemption. I mean this very morning before the sun rose, at the time of the morning's dawn, right about twilight I found myself struggling to breathe as Desiree came into my mind. It's a haunting that might never leave me alone.

Besides the Twilight Saga like The Chronicles of Narnia is a positive alternative for Christians to the Harry Potter madness.



But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die.
Genesis 2:17
RedeemedChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 08:39 AM   #25
ResidentAlien
Guest
 
ResidentAlien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeemedChild
Well mankind seems to have always been drawn toward the "strange" and the "supernatural" and "things that go bump in the night". However if one can find a way to overcome the fear that tends to come with the "eerie" and things from the supposed "beyond" and rationalize it then you'll get a whole boatload of people following something even if it seems a bit bizarre.


Oh my god! The irony here is just delicious!!!
ResidentAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:43 PM.