Australia

deckard24

Anybody else looking forward to seeing this? I know I am, the trailer alone had me hooked months ago! The latest TV spot seems to be taking a new spin, and portraying the film as more of an action film as opposed to the big epic love story that it is. Either way I'm in, and I don't usually get excited about Baz Luhrmann's work!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0455824/

Original Trailer
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-7R2mN6D3sQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-7R2mN6D3sQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Newest Trailer
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/05zTnDTpbHI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/05zTnDTpbHI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Last edited:

agentsands77

It looks pretty.

Can't say I'm crazy about it, though, largely because I don't like what Nicole Kidman seems to be doing here... her performance rings very false to me. But I'll probably end up seeing it.

deckard24

agentsands77 said:
It looks pretty.

Can't say I'm crazy about it, though, largely because I don't like what Nicole Kidman seems to be doing here... her performance rings very false to me. But I'll probably end up seeing it.
Yeah Kidman seems to be portraying her character from Far and Away again, but Jackman looks pretty authentic and brings a bit of a Indyish vibe to the picture. I'm a sucker for WWII era films, so that coupled with the locale had me hooked! I don't know if either of you saw The Proposition, but that film really portrayed the Aussie landscape beautifully, and this film seems to trump that!
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/G7V-CW_SUos&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/G7V-CW_SUos&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

TheMutt92

Had no idea what to think of this movie until I saw the trailers you posted. Looks pretty good, but I think I'd only see it if I had the time and money.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
I don't know what to think about the film. On one hand, supposed to help the industry and yes, the government certainly has thrown all it's eggs in one basket. I just can't believe that the Tourism board fricking paid Oprah to have a special on this film (money that could have been used to help new graduates start out in the industry, kids like me, such as having paid internships, or grants to get basic equipment such as Macs with the Cinema package, so one can work as an editor, or a package of basic tools for camera assistants. :rolleyes: ).

In any case, I dare say the reviews haven't been overally negative or overally positive. If you've seen Luhrmann's previous films, this apparently is no different. If you're expecting realism, then you're going to be sorely disappointed. The film is more a fantasy than an epic love story or a world war 2 movie. That's the one thing that the critics and reviewers have all agreed with.

I personally don't have any intention seeing it. It's just too cliche Australia for me. It'll be very good for the overseas markets, absolutely perfect, I'm sure. I support the industry by watching the Aussie TV shows (there easily the best things coming out of the industry at the moment, such as sitcoms like Stupid, Stupid Man (which has been sold in the US, and is been re-done there as an adult cartoon, which should be very interesting) and Kath & Kim (yes, the American version is a pile of crap, but the original is way better, was not done justice and in any case, it's sooo Australian, that I don't think it could ever be translated into other cultures much like the Dave Chapelle Show, which Australians never got), crime like The Strip and Sea Patrol.

The Magic Rat

Violet Indy said:
I don't know what to think about the film. On one hand, supposed to help the industry and yes, the government certainly has thrown all it's eggs in one basket. I just can't believe that the Tourism board fricking paid Oprah to have a special on this film (money that could have been used to help new graduates start out in the industry, kids like me, such as having paid internships, or grants to get basic equipment such as Macs with the Cinema package, so one can work as an editor, or a package of basic tools for camera assistants. :rolleyes: ).

In any case, I dare say the reviews haven't been overally negative or overally positive. If you've seen Luhrmann's previous films, this apparently is no different. If you're expecting realism, then you're going to be sorely disappointed. The film is more a fantasy than an epic love story or a world war 2 movie. That's the one thing that the critics and reviewers have all agreed with.

I personally don't have any intention seeing it. It's just too cliche Australia for me. It'll be very good for the overseas markets, absolutely perfect, I'm sure. I support the industry by watching the Aussie TV shows (there easily the best things coming out of the industry at the moment, such as sitcoms like Stupid, Stupid Man (which has been sold in the US, and is been re-done there as an adult cartoon, which should be very interesting) and Kath & Kim (yes, the American version is a pile of crap, but the original is way better, was not done justice and in any case, it's sooo Australian, that I don't think it could ever be translated into other cultures much like the Dave Chapelle Show, which Australians never got), crime like The Strip and Sea Patrol.

I share your sentiments.

indy34

When I saw the trailer it didn't really seem appealing to me so I guess I'll see it when it comes out on DVD:p

muttjones

Violet Indy said:
it's sooo Australian, that I don't think it could ever be translated into other cultures much like the Dave Chapelle Show, which Australians never got), crime like The Strip and Sea Patrol.

I love the Dave Chapelle Show.

Rush is another good aussie tv show. I've only seen a few but their really good. I may get the season one day.

At first I thought that the governmenyt was leaning on Australia to help tourism too much but with the financial crisis, and our dollar suddenly being worth half an american one, i think it will really work. Also the ad campaign seems to really work as it identifies with all the americans with a passport (which i've heard is not very many).

Mrs_Fedora

I'm sure I'm going to see this movie. Don't know if it will be any good, but who cares.... Hugh Jackman is in it! :p

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
muttjones said:
I love the Dave Chapelle Show.

Rush is another good aussie tv show. I've only seen a few but their really good. I may get the season one day.

At first I thought that the governmenyt was leaning on Australia to help tourism too much but with the financial crisis, and our dollar suddenly being worth half an american one, i think it will really work. Also the ad campaign seems to really work as it identifies with all the americans with a passport (which i've heard is not very many).

I forgot about Rush. That's another good show. Underbelly is the ultimate crime show and I'm soooo looking forward to Series 2. I agree, this film will work well with the Americans particularly. It's a film that's geared and structured for them. I'm totally cool with that, we should take opportunities to tailor films and television to other countries, not just ourselves.

There's such a thing as the American cultural imperialism though in terms of why you get the Dave Chappelle Show. :p

@ The Magic Rat: Out of interest, are you Australian or American or from elsewhere? And have you been to Australia? Just trying to gauge why you agree with my sentiment and to what extent.

deckard24

Well I finally got around to seeing Australia today and I definitely recommend it! Yeah it has some flaws, but overall I really enjoyed it. What was really fascinating was the backstory about the Aboriginal people, which they made a point of paying tribute to, specifically the Stolen Generations: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stolen_Generations
Jackman was really good as The Drover, Kidman was surprisingly good as Sarah Ashley considering she normally gets on my nerves, and the little boy that played Nullah was terrific! The film definitely has a Gone With the Wind feel to it, so if that's not your cup of tea I'd avoid it! But if you like large scale epic films with great cinematography, here's your picture!

Now this is all coming from an American perspective, so I'd be very interested to hear what you guys from Australia thought of the film!

Last edited:

caats

I liked it too! i wanted to die for the first hour or so, but then it really picked up. didn't feel like 3 hours. When i first started watching i thought, Hugh was like Indy-light. and Kidman was like Willie Scott x10. but then Kidman didn't get as annoying. and Hugh became pretty badass. though i did notice indy like apparel. Kidman had a pretty spot on Indy hat, Hugh had a shirt. and the bad guy had the jacket. so i enjoyed that.

StoneTriple

I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's very much a combination of Gone With The Wind, African Queen, The Cowboys, and Tora, Tora, Tora. It's old school Hollywood epic, all the way. The characters are what you expect from seeing the trailer. Some are spot on, some are caricatures, some are under developed. The scenery is incredible, and the story is at times very busy. It moves between weird, comedic, serious, sad, surreal, and happy - sometimes when you least expect it.

It's an interesting world and culture and it takes a little getting used to. I don't know how much of the film is factual where the portrayal of the people & culture are concerned. I do have an Australian friend that I ride with and she seems to be very much a product of that environment. Some of the other riders in our group don't really understand her, but I've always gotten along very well with her and she's a pleasure to ride with. But I digress.

I've never seen a Hugh Jackman film and only one Nicole Kidman film, so I had no expectations going in. I thought both were believable in the characters they were portraying, in spite of the fact that they were stereotypes. Some of the story is predictable, some was surprising. Same for the other characters as well.

The little boy makes the film. What an incredible performance and very interesting character. I read an interview with Nicole Kidman talking about the boy. He's an aboriginal child. One of the things his family insisted on before allowing him to be in the film was that the director had to go on a Walkabout with the boy?s father.

Anyway, that's about it. I'm sorry it's not doing well, but I'll have a Blu-ray version in a few months to watch whenever I want. It's a fairy tale. It's also three hours of vintage Hollywood escapism, and I enjoyed the time away.

Joe Brody

Reviews let me get my hopes up. Not as much There therer as I had hoped. Basically, the film is a thin Giant meets Pearl Harbor.

Apart from a thoughtful depiction of priests, Kidman was a brightspot. She earned her pay.

Nothing Oscar worthy in this film.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
StoneTriple said:
I thoroughly enjoyed it. It's very much a combination of Gone With The Wind, African Queen, The Cowboys, and Tora, Tora, Tora. It's old school Hollywood epic, all the way. The characters are what you expect from seeing the trailer. Some are spot on, some are caricatures, some are under developed. The scenery is incredible, and the story is at times very busy. It moves between weird, comedic, serious, sad, surreal, and happy - sometimes when you least expect it.

It's an interesting world and culture and it takes a little getting used to. I don't know how much of the film is factual where the portrayal of the people & culture are concerned. .....

Anyway, that's about it. I'm sorry it's not doing well, but I'll have a Blu-ray version in a few months to watch whenever I want. It's a fairy tale. It's also three hours of vintage Hollywood escapism, and I enjoyed the time away.

In terms of facts, it is true that the Japanese did bomb Darwin in 1942. Yes, the Stolen Generation did happen and was still happening in World War 2 (look up Stolen Generation on wikipedia, if you want to know more about Aborigines and the white Australians treatment of them). As for everything else, not too sure without having seen the film (and having no intention of seeing it, so will see it for curiosity when I can rent it out).

A part of me is somewhat not surprised that it hasn't done well at the BO. Australian films that are exported out to the world really need to change their content frankly. I can't see why we can't do more commercial films, like what we do with television (Prisoner is the best example. I can't remember it's American title, but it is the first and only Australian series ever syndicated in the US and still has re-runs playing). TV series has sold well in recent times to overseas markets. In any case, the government just isn't listening and especially now with a credit crisis internationally and yes, our back to crap dollar, don't expect to see much money in the industry soon. So many films could have been made with the budget, Australia had.