TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 12-11-2008, 03:30 PM   #26
Trennas
IndyFan

I had to download (before I get any comments on that; I gradually buy all the stuff I download when it comes out in stores here, which can literally take years) it because it didn't broadcast here in the Netherlands, and I didn't feel like waiting until some TV network would pick it up here.

Have yet to watch it though. Will probably do so tomorrow The previous movies were very entertaining for being such low budget movies and I've been looking forward for this one for a while
Trennas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 10:04 PM   #27
WillKill4Food
IndyFan

I haven't seen it...
...realy don't think that I will, either.
WillKill4Food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 09:53 AM   #28
Ska
IndyFan

I watched about 75% of it so far...have to finish it yet.

Not very good so far.

Very slow and boring. The first two were better.
Ska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:02 PM   #29
Nurhachi1991
IndyFan

This is pretty much the worst movie ever made.
Nurhachi1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:15 AM   #30
Dr. Wolfwood
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nurhachi1991
This is pretty much the worst movie ever made.
You must not have seen many movies, then!

Just to stay in the theme of "made for TV movies", have you ever tried to watch Hallmark's King Solomon's Mines?

In comparison, Librarian 3 is actually a pretty decent flick. I actually liked the pacing of the Librarian 3 story, although the story itself was much too predictable and the aim was clearly not to take the film too seriously. Fitted pretty well with the 1 and 2 and might even have been a little better than the second one was.
Dr. Wolfwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 09:10 AM   #31
The Magic Rat
IndyFan

I tried watching part of the first one and shut it off in about 10 minutes. I gotta imagine by the third it's worse.
The Magic Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:37 PM   #32
NoCamels
IndyFan

I really enjoyed the first 2, despite the cheesy made-for-tv effects. Thanks for telling us about the third!
NoCamels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:45 PM   #33
Trennas
IndyFan

Watched it last weekend and enjoyed it I won't say I enjoyed it immensely, because it was mostly rediculous, but the movie does get away with it because it doesn't take itself too seriously.. If you don't expect it to be a terrific movie, its not even half that bad really

It did have some pretty, albeit farfetched, clever finds though; like the explanation behind vampire's weaknesses of silver, wooden stakes and crosses. Too bad the story was so damn predictable..

Still, had a lot of laughs because of the silliness, and that was mainly why I wanted to watch it"
Trennas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 03:19 AM   #34
Twilightpro101
IndyFan

I've got the first one on DVD. Blockbuster was selling their used copies, so I bought it. Enjoyed it, but I've yet to see 2 and 3.
Twilightpro101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:23 PM   #35
A2Steve
IndyFan

"The Librarian" cable movies- any good?

are the Librarian movies any good? it looks decent enough, and I always liked Noah Wylie- excellent on ER (basically Michael Crichton's earlier self) and did an awesome job as Steve Jobs in "Pirates of Silicon Valley." this has a "secret society/history" look to it, but wondering what others think of it. Being overseas, I have my "top men working " on getting copies if it's worthwhile.
A2Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:30 PM   #36
Indy's brother
IndyFan

The first one got it's hooks into me pretty good, even with the lower production values than the other two. Really a quite charming little flick. The other two I looked forward to, and enjoyed, but not as much. Even though they were better made. Hmm. I see a pattern emerging...a parallel with a certain other academic that does fieldwork?

I'd say it's a buy.
Indy's brother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:45 PM   #37
A2Steve
IndyFan

I'll take a look then. thanks for the opinion..... just as long as he doesnt wake up and realize he's married to Suzanne Pleshette, too!
Old 02-28-2009, 06:54 AM   #38
A2Steve
IndyFan

Just to update my lil' thread- judt started watching the first one, and so far, I really like it! very humorous, and a good tip o' the fedora to Indy in the scene with the Ark. havent watched the entire movie yet, but something tells me the other two are next on my list.

now, to get the experts back on the case.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:33 PM   #39
Morning Bell
IndyFan

I saw part of one on television a few months ago and I thought it was okay. I'd never heard of the series before so maybe I need to give it another chance and watch the series from the beginning.
Morning Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:41 PM   #40
Lance Quazar
IndyFan

I dunno, I thought they were watchable, but forgettable.

The reduced budget and production values really does hamper this kind of story. The cheesy result is fun in an old fashioned, drive-in movie kind of way, but it makes it hard to really get into the story. The light-as-air plot and characterizations don't help in that regard, either.

Being overseas, doesn't really feel worth the expense to seek these out.

Stateside, I think they're worth a netflix rental at best.
Lance Quazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:14 PM   #41
A2Steve
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lance Quazar
I dunno, I thought they were watchable, but forgettable.

The reduced budget and production values really does hamper this kind of story. The cheesy result is fun in an old fashioned, drive-in movie kind of way, but it makes it hard to really get into the story. The light-as-air plot and characterizations don't help in that regard, either.

Being overseas, doesn't really feel worth the expense to seek these out.

Stateside, I think they're worth a netflix rental at best.

there's different ways of getting things overseas, that arent as expensive as one might think. As I've said before, I've got my top men on the situation. Top men...

In an unrelated matter, they have REALLY fast internet access in Asia! Files can be downloaded REALLY fast. If one were to be interested in such a matter. and the concepts of copyrights and DRM seem more like a suggestion.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:33 AM   #42
Ska
IndyFan

The first Librarian movie was pretty good, imo. Sure it was cheesy, but it held true to a modern day adventure serial. 8/10

The second movie was a slight step down. It still held the adventure qualities of the first movie, but I was really turned off by the "chemistry" between Flynn and the leading lady (forget her name). 6.5/10

The third movie was a larger step down. The series seemed to go from an adventure movie to a sci-fi Buffy the Vampire Slayer type movie. Plus it took place entirely within the US, so it lost all the exotic settings. 2/10
Ska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 02:49 AM   #43
A2Steve
IndyFan

I'd expect something like this to have a bit of cheese... on purpose! I mean, something about a library with the ark of the covenant, the goose that lays the golden egg, and Excalibur.... dipping in cheese fondue seems to go with the territory!
Old 04-21-2009, 08:14 PM   #44
Major West
IndyFan

The first one is the best. All worth a watch though. The films are out on Blu-ray too now, from Australia. I imported them recently, and they seem to be region free.
Major West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 10:03 PM   #45
Violet
Moderator Emeritus

Location: The Host City of the 2018 Commonwealth Games, Australia
Let me just say.... Just got these movies recently just because of the Raider.Net had talked about it.

I've watched all three and I really enjoyed all of them. I liked the third film the best. It really is worth watching, even though it can be a bit cheesy at times.

I would also like to note that the Second film has another Indy artifact featured (hint: not talking about the Ark that appears in all three).

As far as I know the Australian DVD's are either Region 4 PAL or region free. Sometimes one can actually program their DVD player to play other regions.
Violet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:47 AM   #46
JgonzalezNJ
IndyFan

The Librarian

For those who enjoyed the films or are interested in them since The Raider did an article on them. There are certain Blockbusters and Hollywood Videos that are closing and I picked up all 3 films for $12.00. I know its not action figures but I thought I would post it here anyway.
JgonzalezNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 08:51 AM   #47
JgonzalezNJ
IndyFan

I picked these up as well because of The Raider. There are certain Blockbusters and Hollywood Videos that are closing and I picked up all 3 films for $12.00.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:47 PM   #48
RedeemedChild
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JgonzalezNJ
For those who enjoyed the films or are interested in them since The Raider did an article on them. There are certain Blockbusters and Hollywood Videos that are closing and I picked up all 3 films for $12.00. I know its not action figures but I thought I would post it here anyway.

I've never seen The Librarian but I did hear someone refer to it as a cross between National Treasure and Indiana Jones. I'll see I can find them at the a library and view them so I can see if they are worth buying before I go and waste my money. I'd also like to see NBC's The Last Templar. I heard and read that it had a lady in the lead as a
treasure hunter."
RedeemedChild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:46 AM   #49
acsgrlie
IndyFan

I haven't watched them in awhile but I remember liking the 1st one the best which is the only one I have on DVD. Noah Wyle is great as the action hero and is kinda Indiana/National Treasure-lite.
acsgrlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 09:42 AM   #50
JgonzalezNJ
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeemedChild
I've never seen The Librarian but I did hear someone refer to it as a cross between National Treasure and Indiana Jones. I'll see I can find them at the a library and view them so I can see if they are worth buying before I go and waste my money. I'd also like to see NBC's The Last Templar. I heard and read that it had a lady in the lead as a
treasure hunter."

FYI, TRU has the new one for $9.99