Bashing Crusade on IMDb

Darth Vile

Last Crusade is a movie of two halves. First half is pretty drab and continues where TOD left off... but as soon as they get to the castle and Henry Jones Senior is introduced, the movie is propelled forward (in terms of pace, dialogue, acting and overall quality). Whatever shortcomings it has in the first half e.g. young Indy, escape from Venice etc. they are excused by a great second half (which contains most of my favorite Indy moments)...

Whilst Raiders will always be the pinnacle for Indiana Jones, I find Last Crusade the easiest and most enjoyable Indy movie to sit and watch.

JediPug1

Bashing Last Crusade? The nerve of some people... It's my second favorite, right after Raiders. There are some silly moments to be sure, but overall the movie is wonderful... a real high point in the entire Indy saga.

Dr.Sartorius

IMDB is a great source for movie info. But I can't believe there's actually
people who give a **** about the meanigless movie ratings by IMDB users
and the comments on its forums. Its always been a haven for trolls, spammers,
and haters.:rolleyes:

Stoo

Last Crusade = Overrated?

*BUMP* (I didn't read the IMDB comments because I don't care about them. Just bumping this thread instead of creating a new one.)

"Skull" gets ripped to shreds and "Doom" is often bashed but "Crusade" seems to be untouchable...revered by many & criticized by few. While I enjoy the movie as a whole, it was disappointing back in '89 for several reasons. At the time, Montreal Gazette film critic, John Griffin, headlined his review with, "Spielberg saves his best for last". Reading that was a big what-the-hell? moment and one I'll never forget.

Joining the Raven in 2005 became an eye-opening experience because I was shocked at how many people consider it to be their favourite Indy film.:eek: This fact continues to amaze me, 6 years later.
StoneTriple said:
To me, the silliest of all the Indy moments is in Last Crusade - when the airplane flies into the tunnel, loses only its wings, slides upright in a straight line all the way through, and passes Indy - while the pilot looks out of the window.
For starters, I DESPISE this scene! In '89, it almost made me want to spit. What a hokey, groan-fest...:sick:(n)

IndyJones5183 said:
I love the Last Crusade.Why would anyone want to bash that film. :(
Cause it's a lame ripoff of a cheesy 60's TV show?

There are a few "references which Last Crusade makes to S1 E020 of Batman from 1966.

Better Luck Next Time includes Catwoman uniting artifacts which together give the elusive answer to the lost treasure of Captain Manx. She even makes a rubbing of the "map" etched onto the "markers."

The other glaring rippoff is the ultimate fate of Cat Woman.

She refuses Batman's request to drop the bag full of treasure and Batman's attemp to help her as she clings to the side of a chasm in a cave.

Guess what happens to her?

The sequels were always increasing in "camp" value, but what a joke!

(n)

Mentioned my hatred of the Dunn and Duffy snake in another thread too.

The airplane in the tunnel is so poorly done. They promoted George Gibbs and he says in interviews he was in over his head...shame.

The effects in Raiders were done so well, from Matte Paintings to "ghosts."

Ironclaw

Rocket Surgeon said:
Cause it's a lame ripoff of a cheesy 60's TV show?

There are a few "references which Last Crusade makes to S1 E020 of Batman from 1966.

Better Luck Next Time includes Catwoman uniting artifacts which together give the elusive answer to the lost treasure of Captain Manx. She even makes a rubbing of the "map" etched onto the "markers."

The other glaring rippoff is the ultimate fate of Cat Woman.

She refuses Batman's request to drop the bag full of treasure and Batman's attemp to help her as she clings to the side of a chasm in a cave.

Guess what happens to her?

The sequels were always increasing in "camp" value, but what a joke!

(n)

Mentioned my hatred of the Dunn and Duffy snake in another thread too.

The airplane in the tunnel is so poorly done. They promoted George Gibbs and he says in interviews he was in over his head...shame.

The effects in Raiders were done so well, from Matte Paintings to "ghosts."

It sounds like you're hating Crusade just to hate it. Pretty much nothing in Raiders isn't a homage to something or other (Secret of the Incas is a good place to find a lot of this).

There's a difference between expressing your own personal dislike (and accepting others don't feel the same way), and going off on a tirade.

Ironclaw said:
There's a difference between expressing your own personal dislike (and accepting others don't feel the same way), and going off on a tirade.

What is it?

Ironclaw said:
It sounds like you're hating Crusade just to hate it. Pretty much nothing in Raiders isn't a homage to something or other (Secret of the Incas is a good place to find a lot of this).

So Last Crusade is a "homage" to Batman? :rolleyes:

...oftentimes excusing of a fault doth make the fault the worse by the excuse.

Last edited:

Ironclaw

Rocket Surgeon said:
What is it?

...oftentimes excusing of a fault doth make the fault the worse by the excuse.

(Sigh)

And sometimes I wonder why I don't post here more often. Now I know.

Ironclaw said:
(Sigh) And sometimes I wonder why I don't post here more often. Now I know.
:sleep:

Because you can't carry on a conversation?

If only more people would take your reflection seriously when they have nothing to contribute as well.

Montana Smith

Ironclaw said:

Why so serious? ;)

Rocket Surgeon said:

If Indy V is a homage to The Dark Knight then I'd be happier with the prospect of it!

For the record I really liked TLC, don't mind the Pilatus going down the tunnel, but the special effects beforehand were a bit rough.

Montana Smith

From t'other thread, as this is where the hot discussion on this should be. :gun:

Better Luck Next Time Episode Recap

Synopsis

Batman escapes and rescues Robin from further danger while Catwoman searches for her treasure. The Dynamic Duo finally catch up to her in but at what cost?

Full Recap

After Catwoman slips away to administer nameless horrors to Robin, Batman fends off Tinkerbell long enough to remove from his utility belt a pair of Batclaws, which he uses to climb up the wall and out of harm's reach. Realizing he won't be able to stay there for long, he plugs his Batears with a pair of Batearplugs and subdues the tiger with super-amplified sounds from a Batcommunicator on his utility belt. The Caped Crusader leaps from the wall, takes refuge in the room where the tiger was released and heads out to save his sidekick---only to find himself lost in the catacombs of Catwoman's lair. Meanwhile, Catwoman is on to bigger and badder things, having Robin balanced on the end of a board over a pit of more hungry tigers and supplying sand to the other end of the board. As the sand is released, the board lowers Robin slowly, deeper and deeper into the tiger den! Leaving her henchmen to her own devices, The Catwoman departs in search of Captain Manx's treasure, using a map created by fitting the two Golden Cats together and drawing their outline. Batman saves his chum in the nick of time and pit their fists against Catwoman's lackeys; during the battle, Leo escapes to join his female boss and warn her of Batman's pursuit of her.

The Dynamic Duo spirit the Golden Cats to the Batcave, where they deduce Catwoman's scheme. Soon they are at McElroy Point, where the treasure is supposedly buried and suddenly they find themselves forced to navigate Catwoman's minefield. The pair make use of The Batmobile Batarmor and Automatic Tire Device to escape the mines unscathed, just as Catwoman and Leo locate the treasure in a nearby cave. Overcome by greed, Catwoman double-crosses Leo by gassing him to sleep and she winds up being chased through the dark cave by the arriving Dynamic Duo. Catwoman arrives at the edge a bottomless crevice which she tries unsuccessfully to leap. She barely manages to catch hold of a stalactite on the other side. Batman tries to save Catwoman but she refuses to let go of the treasure, she plummets into the bottomless chasm! Later at Wayne Manor, Alfred, Bruce and Dick, in the midst of playing chess, are surprised by Aunt Harriet, who presents them with Catwoman's pet feline and claims he stole a lobster she was preparing for dinner. Dick merely quips, "He comes from a broken home."

http://www.tv.com/batman-1966/better...de_recap;recap

That last line also has TLC resonances: "He comes from a broken home."

Since "Better Luck Next Time" was recycling old ideas, the way Indy has always recycled pulp, it was probably all coincidental.

Maybe. :whip:

Stoo said:
Joining the Raven in 2005 became an eye-opening experience because I was shocked at how many people consider it to be their favourite Indy film. This fact continues to amaze me, 6 years later.

I wouldn't call it my favourite (as they all merge together
), but as with all of them there are some iconic Indy moments: the big one in TLC was him throwing Vogel off the airship, and the fear with which the passengers afforded him for that ballsy act.

Nurhachi1991

Why does everyone thin The Dark Knight is the modern Citizen Kane? It in all honesty was not that great in my opinion sure the action was good the acting was nice but overall I have only watched it from start to finish 3 times... and ive watched KOTCS dozens of times and it's still awesome

Ironclaw said:
Or maybe it's people proselytizing from their soapbox and making snide comments.

You don't even know? :rolleyes: So much for conversation/debate.

Cry me a river sweetheart, or formulate a decent answer/rebuttal.

Montana Smith said:
That last line also has TLC resonances: "He comes from a broken home."

Since "Better Luck Next Time" was recycling old ideas, the way Indy has always recycled pulp, it was probably all coincidental. Maybe. :whip:

I'd have to say it went further than recycling.

Nurhachi1991 said:
Why does everyone thin The Dark Knight is the modern Citizen Kane? It in all honesty was not that great in my opinion sure the action was good the acting was nice but overall I have only watched it from start to finish 3 times... and ive watched KOTCS dozens of times and it's still awesome

Wow, would love to hear your take on Citizen Kane! Crystal Scum is bubble gum, starts out sweet and gets tough to chew really quick. Batman may as well be the Citizen Kane of "superhero movies." It requires an entirely different type of patience and attention to enjoy than Skull.

Last edited:

Darth Vile

Nurhachi1991 said:

I'm not sure 'everyone' does. I think for some, the success of The Dark Knight, was affirmation that liking superhero/comic book movies can be taken seriously (ergo its popularity becomes self fulfilling). In my opinion, I welcome the fact that TDK was a huge success for Nolan (who I think is a really good film maker)... however, I actually think Batman Begins is far superior.

It's difficult to compare TDK and KOTCS; as one is intentionally made to be lightweight, fun... and as Rocket Surgeon puts it "bubble gum" like in its disposability. The other is more complex, more serious and is intended to be more intellectually challenging. However, although I still think it's a good movie, I find TDK to be somewhat overblown and dare I say it... dull for large sections. I think TDK is a more intelligent movie and has a more compelling narrative, but I actually find KOTCS to be simply more entertaining to sit through (as I do with the other Indy sequels)... but that's partly because I prefer the Indy universe.

Ironclaw

<i>You don't even know? So much for conversation/debate.

Cry me a river sweetheart, or formulate a decent answer/rebuttal.</i>

I am so wounded by Internet Tough Guy.

Last edited:
Ironclaw said:
I am so wounded by Internet Tough Guy.

Gary/Arthur Kensington, Jr. poons another noob!

Anyway, the way they neglected sequels like crusade was a "homage" to the way suits cut the budgets on Planet of the Apes sequels.:p