Reboot after Indy 5?

curmudgeon

Backtracking that one to the source, here's the relevant part of the interview. Disney's Bob Iger in italics.

And the link: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/bob-iger-interview-star-wars-905320

You have another Lucasfilm property, Indiana Jones, and Steven Spielberg has agreed to make a fifth film. Will there be an Indiana Jones universe, eventually, like Star Wars?

Not like Star Wars, no. But we hope ? right now, we're focused on a reboot, or a continuum and then a reboot of some sort.

Reboot? You've got Harrison Ford for this movie, and then the presumption is there will be a younger ?

Well, we'll bring him back, then we have to figure out what comes next. That's what I mean. It's not really a reboot, it's a boot ? a reboot. I don't know.

THR has been using the term "requel" for these sequels that reboot the franchise.

Requel. (Laughs.) We [got] Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones in the film. But then what's the direction? I've had discussions about what the direction is, [but] I don't want to get into it.

But you do see making more films?

Yes, I do. I don't think it reaches the scale of the universe of Star Wars, but I see making more. It won't be just a one-off.

Z dweller

Well, we always knew that Disney did not buy the IP just to make one last movie.
And since Ford cannot keep playing Indy forever, they will recast the role at some point.

At this stage, the only open question is: will the new actor already be introduced in the next movie in flashback scenes?
The boot/reboot/requel discussion with Iger doesn't really shed any light on that.

Maybe they simply haven't made their mind up yet?

Walecs

Was he drunk when he made that statement? "We're not going to reboot, we're going to boot".

Honestly, I trust George Lucas a lot more than Disney.

TheFedora

Walecs said:
Was he drunk when he made that statement? "We're not going to reboot, we're going to boot".

Yeah Ive seen more then one person on social media ask that about this comment there..

InexorableTash

I think he's struggling to find a term for "recast prequel". It seems the zeitgeist acknowledges "sequel" implying same continuity and actors, and "reboot" implying a new continuity and actors, but there is no concise, popular term for what shared continuity with new actors would be because is doesn't happen often. And people hate big words/complex phrases.

Silvor

I just hope they leave Indy 5 to Ford and focus on whatever they're gonna do with the series next for the next movie.
It's really hard to get a grip on what Iger is trying to really say here.

IndyForever

Fine by me Harrison IS the character. Lucas & Spielberg created the franchise its not viable without all 3 in their usual positions so it will not be Indiana Jones anymore just like Star Wars is now Disney's Star Wars themed mishmash!!

IndyForever

" it's a boot " means its just another Ford Indy5 movie. Iger was talking about after Ford's Indy movie if you re-read the context of the interview.

Indy Jones

Mike00spy said:
Could his confusing comments mean they are getting rid of some of Indy IV's canon?

Um, no... Why would they?

He's clearly unsure about how to word what he means, meaning it isn't as simple as a re-cast or a reboot. What he must mean is something in the middle. Basically, he's doing what any smart person would: they're going to cast a new, younger Indiana Jones for the next film, but keep it in the same continuity. The new adventures will be set in and around the existing films/TV films and (hopefully) novels. I'd hate to see any of the Bantam novels be thoroughly invalidated.

Walecs said:

That. Totally.
Keep the guys from Disney the farthest away possible from EVERYTHING Lucasfilm related. EVERYTHING.

About the words of Bob Iger, it's pretty clear that they are a little confused, but I think he simply meant that they have plans to sort of reboot the series while also continuing it... that basically means that this new movie will most certainly serve as a launchpad for some new character(s) that are then going to take the lead for the subsequent films and so on.
A passing of the torch, as some said.
Indy will be the protagonist, but he will also be paired with someone else to continue the series within the same canon afterwards. Not so convinced about this, but it could work.

Still much prefer the idea of a movie set in the 1945 / 1957 timeframe.

Last edited:
IndyForever said:
Fine by me Harrison IS the character. Lucas & Spielberg created the franchise its not viable without all 3 in their usual positions so it will not be Indiana Jones anymore just like Star Wars is now Disney's Star Wars themed mishmash!!

So. Freaking. True.

Let's hope not. With Lucas somehow involved, there's still a chance the movie will be decent at least.
But I'm very concerned about Koepp, 'cause he CLEARLY ain't the right man for the task.

DARTH ZOIDBERG

The Stranger said:
That. Totally.
Keep the guys from Disney the farthest away possible from EVERYTHING Lucasfilm related. EVERYTHING.

About the words of Bob Iger, it's pretty clear that they are a little confused, but I think he simply meant that they have plans to sort of reboot the series while also continuing it... that basically means that this new movie will most certainly serve as a launchpad for some new character(s) that are then going to take the lead for the subsequent films and so on.
Indy will be the protagonist, but he will also be paired with someone else to continue the series within the same canon afterwards. Not so convinced about this, but it could work.

Still much prefer the idea of a movie set in the 1945 / 1957 timeframe.
Disney did a great Job with TFA and Pixar Is Still great And I loved the Muppets 2011 and Muppets Most Wanted and the Muppets Show on ABC that only lasted a season was awesome! :)

Finn

Staff member
InexorableTash said:
I think he's struggling to find a term for "recast prequel". It seems the zeitgeist acknowledges "sequel" implying same continuity and actors, and "reboot" implying a new continuity and actors, but there is no concise, popular term for what shared continuity with new actors would be because is doesn't happen often. And people hate big words/complex phrases.
This is most likely it. Could be that he's also unsure what to call it because of TFA. While it's a direct sequel to the two trilogies that exist, they did wipe out a lot of EU continuity... so he's probably already had to wonder what that should be called.

The Stranger said:
This is most likely not it. Because - simply put - Indiana Jones is not Star Wars. With Star Wars, the universe is the franchise. With Indiana Jones, the character is the franchise. Making more "Indiana Jones" films means they must feature the character of Indiana Jones. If that's not the case, they could just grab any other IP and retool it, or come up with a completely new one.

Whatever comes of the IP after the beards are gone, there's still nothing sillier than hoping Disney should stay far away from it. After all, the films that follow, be they good or bad, do not in any way invalidate the works of the original crew. Just like KotCS did not invalidate the three very good films that preceded it.

IndyForever

The Stranger said:
So. Freaking. True.

Let's hope not. With Lucas somehow involved, there's still a chance the movie will be decent at least.
But I'm very concerned about Koepp, 'cause he CLEARLY ain't the right man for the task.
Koepp is just joining together the story points Spielberg/Lucas give him though its not like he is asked to contribute much beyond that & putting some story structure in. I think Kasdan went over KOTCS to make it sound a bit more Indy like he will most likely do the same on Indy 5.

DARTH ZOIDBERG said:
Disney did a great Job with TFA and Pixar Is Still great And I loved the Muppets 2011 and Muppets Most Wanted and the Muppets Show on ABC that only lasted a season was awesome! :)
TFA was utterly terrible though Disney ruined Star Wars legacy. Harrison was the only decent thing in it if that is how Disney treat Star Wars I think Indy6 will get the same treatment from some other hack like JJ.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finn said:
This is most likely not it. Because - simply put - Indiana Jones is not Star Wars. With Star Wars, the universe is the franchise. With Indiana Jones, the character is the franchise. Making more "Indiana Jones" films means they must feature the character of Indiana Jones. If that's not the case, they could just grab any other IP and retool it, or come up with a completely new one.

Technically, I think the concept was initially about the "Raiders of the lost..."

The whole "Indiana Jones and..." came after, and it was mainly due to the popularity of the character and the obvious success of the first movie.
To have some new sidekicks that could bring on other adventures while still keeping the original doctor Jones in the continuity may be the easiest way for them to accomodate things, as of now. I'd say not many people would buy a recast, considering that we've already had a trilogy of films with the "original" Indy, and Harrison Ford will still take the role for the movie anyway.

I am not so convinced about this possibility, but I would definitely not rule it out.
Still too early to speculate. It may simply be that Bob Iger just don't have an idea what the real definitive plans are.

IndyForever said:
TFA was utterly terrible though Disney ruined Star Wars legacy. Harrison was the only decent thing in it if that is how Disney treat Star Wars I think Indy6 will get the same treatment from some other hack like JJ.

I completely second that. I respect J.J. Abrams, and think he has made some very good movies in his career. But he definitely dropped the ball bad with that film. Worst high profile blockbuster of the last 40 years of moviemaking if you ask me. It's on the same league as Prometheus. A total disaster. Really.

Last edited: