No more Indiana Jones from George Lucas.

Archaeos

George Lucas said:
I have to get it approved by Steven and Harrison. I'll only say this, the last time it took 14 years to get it approved, so again, it's not something that everybody's crazy to get out and do. I mean, nobody needs the money, you know the chances are that it will be not well accepted much more than it will be accepted, so there's not a lot of impetus to do it.

What's with Lucas and his recent Spiel of being depressed, unloved, studio execs not coming to his screenings, his oeuvre being rejected, him turning his back on everything for exile on Tatooine, even stating that he doesn't care what the audience thinks :eek: , and now saying that Indy content would require 'approval' by Spielberg and Harrison after both went on record to say they were not convinced by the last script, but they would not interfere or object to Lucas' scripts!

Lucas is one of the most independently wealthy movie producers on this planet, with an army of Yavas on his ranch ready to make production means with only few limitations available to him. Frankly, after too many not very good movies over the past decade, do we know have to content with too many not very good attitude statements by him... :confused:

replican't said:
Expect 'Indiana Jones Meets Jar Jar & The Ewoks' in a cinema near you after the earth has exploded.

This is exactly what I was imagining yesterday: Shia LaBeouf et. al. "Indiana Jones and the Fountain of Youth" (2016). Sounds like a great fan service script at first. Old school references. 35th anniversary tie-ins everywhere. But then, half-way through the movie, we are told that the Cuba-of-1962-based Fountain of Youth is in fact a breeding ground for midi-chlorians, as discovered by Dr Mutt Williams-Jones, a graduate microbiologist and fresh home from an internship at the science eventuality programme at InGen (est. 1961). He has to inject these midi-chlorians into Indy or whoever for some unnecessary reason that is irrelevant for advancing the plotline, but hey, thus we see the foundation laid for Force-sensitive beings of the future, in the same galaxy not that far away after all. Indy's son created the Jedis. The Lucasverse is whole and one again. etc. etc. :dead:

Last edited:

Hanselation

Indy's brother said:
Well, that PR lady is going to have an interesting day when this gets out. This video was posted 4/30/2012. The Indy 5 question is asked at 8:28, and the response, directly from George Lucas' lips
George Lucas said:
I AM working on a 5th Indiana Jones. I have to get it approved by Steven and Harrison. I'll only say this, the last time it took 14 years to get it approved, so again, it's not something that everybody's crazy to get out and do. I mean, nobody needs the money, you know the chances are that it will be not well accepted much more than it will be accepted, so there's not a lot of impetus to do it.

No impetus? Com'on what's up with all the fun they told us what they've had when the three worked together on the previous Indiana Jones movies?
Much more worth than money - and after the critics to Indy 4 I personally think, it should be possible to avoid the big faults (1. oversized action: nuke the fridge and 3 Waterfalls 2. family ties instead of the one hero: Marion/Mutt/Oxley/Mac 3. mistaken CGI: monkeys) to get an more acceptabel movie.

On the other hand: To talk about a next Indiana Jones movie is always a good promotion for actual movies (Transfomers, War Horse, Red Tails), so in this way they will never say, that they won't do another one - even if they aren't willing to work on it.

Indy's brother

I think George's attitude says it all:

"Well, if some idea for a macguffin just happens to finally pop into my head out of the clear blue that works, and I like it, and those other guys don't whine too much about, then I'll do another one, I guess. *sigh* Anyone else feel like chili cheese fries right now?"

Toht's Arm

I find it interesting that a) Lucas is finally caring what people think, and that b) he considers that more people were unhappy with Indy IV than happy with it.

Critically, the film did rather well. Critics on Rottentomatoes have it at 77%, and users at 84%. On IMDb, it's 6.4 which i guess is edging towards poor. On Metacritic it's 65. And the box office returns were great - no problem there (I assume DVD and Blu-ray did well too.)

Previously (and particularly during the build-up to Indy IV getting a release) Lucas reminded everyone that critics hadn't universally loved any of the first three films on their initial release. It was only after a period of time that they became "classics".

So the idea that more people disliked it than liked it is incorrect, surely?

Rivers

Here is something else I have kinda read between the lines on in Lucas's comments.
He stated that he needs to get it approved by Harrison and Spielberg. I read into this that he has also found his Mcguffin he was missing and is ready to run it by the other two and bring it forward for script stage. but I could also be totally wrong on that too.
I dont know how reliable IMDB is, but they also say "The MacGuffin has been determined, story ideas are being worked out."

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
From Lucasfilm PR today:

Hi Mitch - The letter should not serve as confirmation that Mr. Lucas will not be making future Indiana Jones films.

Archaeos

RaiderMitch said:
From Lucasfilm PR today:

Hi Mitch - The letter should not serve as confirmation that Mr. Lucas will not be making future Indiana Jones films.

Excellent. Much ado about..., and so on and so forth (y)
Wake me up when Indy V gets released :sleep:

Stoo

Mickinana said:
Thanks Moedred. The grey spot on the shirt is a photo anomaly. It's not on the shirt.
Congrats on the T-shirt, Mickinana* (even if it's too tiny for you). Out of the dozen shirts on sale at the National Geographic Indy exhibition, I didn't see that design on the racks.

*The spelling error in your name is intentional.;)
Finn said:
They train these PR people somewhere en masse? Because despite all the different wordings, their replies always end up sounding the same to me.

I don't wish to drag anyone down, getting a reply from them like that is still pretty... for the lack of a better word, epic (yes, Stoo, I know), but damn that sounds generic regardless.
Yeah, Lizzy called the Indy films, "pretty epic".:rolleyes: The entire letter reads like it was written by a teenie-bopper. She also said, "I've included a T-shirt for you to keep." Really? It's fortunate that Lizzy informed Mickiana that the shirt didn't need to be mailed back.:rolleyes:
Moedred said:
"Elizabeth" might only be a Siri-like response generator, or remote customer liaison in a boiler room at Lucasfilm Singapore.
goodeknight said:
Elizabeth X
On an official letterhead response, it does seem rather odd & unorthodox that the PR employee didn't include her last name. (What's up with that?)

Montana Smith

Stoo said:
On an official letterhead response, it does seem rather odd & unorthodox that the PR employee didn't include her last name. (What's up with that?)

Who was it that recently wrote that Australia was locked in the past? Maybe it was still April 1st when Mick started this thread? ;)

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks Mitch! I removed Elizabot's quote from the news page since it's always had a no-hearsay policy.
Stoo said:
On an official letterhead response, it does seem rather odd & unorthodox that the PR employee didn't include her last name.
Here's why.

Stoo

Montana Smith said:
Who was it that recently wrote that Australia was locked in the past? Maybe it was still April 1st when Mick started this thread? ;)
'Twas the one who is known here as, Replic*nt.

Anyway...
RaiderMitch said:
From Lucasfilm PR today:

Mitchie-poo has THANKFULLY put an end to the speculation surrounding MickiNANA's letter reply from the mysterious, Lucasfilm Lizzy.

I trust Mitch's source (could it be Steve Sansweet?) much more than a PR fem-bot!:p

P.S. Edit
Moedred said:
That's some scary sh*t!:eek:

Last edited:

Rivers

RaiderMitch said:
From Lucasfilm PR today:

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaahh!.... More confirmation that Indy 5 is alive and kickin!!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
To his credit, he was on the right wavelength when he identified the genre and developed it well. And he referred to Marion's daughter as a "spitfire" just as Lucas did shortly after in the Complete Making Of book. If one dwells on the plot alternatives long enough a likely path emerges.

Indy's brother

RaiderMitch said:
From Lucasfilm PR today:

Mitch let me start by saying that I believe you. That being said, was this an email, I take it? Could you screen cap and post it (blurring out any identifying info)? Sure, it could be argued to no end that it could be photoshopped, or otherwise altered/forged, but for the official record, I think you should post something to back this up. Otherwise, it could be taken as hearsay by any doubters, your staff position here notwithstanding. Just throwing that out there. Do as you will. :hat:

Mickiana

RaiderMitch said:
From Lucasfilm PR today:

I knew my letter from Liz was a ruse! Oh well, maybe I will get an Indy5 along with my new shirt.

Montana Smith

Mickiana said:
I knew my letter from Liz was a ruse! Oh well, maybe I will get an Indy5 along with my new shirt.

Your shirt fitted like a condom. The next film would have been a more promising prospect if Indy had worn his.

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
No. Not to be mysterious, but there is professional respect when it comes to these things and I'm not posting who, what and where I get my information. That's how I had the info on the BluRays, great opportunities to interview folks behind the scenes of the Indy films, and even a trip/tour out there. Yes it was an email and I posted what it said regarding Mr Lucas and plans for Indy 5. Case closed.