Books

roundshort

I am probably one of hte biggest book snobs ever (due to my own taste, not int he high brow sense) but I am totally out of books to read, and I know I have not read all of them. Has anyone read anything good laltley that they might want to share.

I am a big fan of

Chuck Palahniuk
Christopher Moore
Mark Twain
Bartle Bull (till his last one, China Star, not as good as the others)
Michael Chabon (I can not wait to read "Jews with Swords" and the Yiddish Policeman)
Steinbeck (some)
Dashell Hammett
Raymond Chandler

Just to give you an idea of the fiction I like to read (as I am studing for a wine test I have way more non-fiction to keep me busy)

So I ask, what have you read that you liked? I figure since we are all fans of Action adventure, at least movies about A.A. (that is action adventure not Alcoholics Ann. I am not a fan of them)-or at least one series of A.A. (Indiana Jones for those of you who can't read between the lines, what is on your current read lists? I am actually very interested in what Raveners are reading.

Most recently I've read, or reread ...

"The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy" series by Douglas Adams
"Angels & Demons" by Dan Brown
"Neuromancer" by Willaim Gibson
"The Watchmen" by Alan Moore

Not anything yer interested in, I'll wager

roundshort

No Hitchhikers has been a long time fav of mine. Like most of Doug's books.
Thanks for the list I will check them out and see!

Gustav

I'm reading The Black Dahlia right now and it's pretty good.

Lately I have been reading a lot of Robert Crais. All but two or three of his novels are about a private detective named Elvis Cole.

The last Dean Koontz I read was Life Expectancy and I liked it a lot.

One of my favourite books is Eaters of the Dead by Micheal Crichton.

I haven't read any Chuck Palahniuk yet, but I've got my eye on Haunted as soon as I'm done with the Elvis Cole series.

That should bring me right up to October so then I'm going to read Cell, a zombie book by Stephen King. I read the first chapter of it in entertainment Weekly and it sounds entertaining. I've already figured out what's causing people to go crazy though. I also plan on reading Dracula for the first time around Halloween.

I'm also going to read Eyes Everywhere by a guy named Matthew Warner who I met about a year ago at this thing called Monster Fest. I bought one of his books called Death Sentences: Tales of Punishment and Revenge which consists of five short stories by Matt Warner. The first story especially was very good. Here's his web site: http://www.matthewwarner.com/

Here' another web site:http://www.stevealten.com/. This guy's name is Steve Alten. I've only read one of his books and that was MEG. At the time I read it I thought it was awesome, but then again I was about 14. Domain is the next one of his I'll read.

IndyBuff

I'm currently reading State of Fear by Michael Crichton. He's one of my favorite authors and the book, while not his best, is still pretty entertaining and I'm learning a lot from it.

I also finished reading Don't Stop the Carnival by Herman Wouk a couple months ago. It was great and if you've heard the Jimmy Buffett musicial I definately suggest reading the book because it really helps make sense of everything.

Some of my other favorite authors include Ian Fleming, John Steinbeck, William Manchester, Tom Clancy and C.S. Lewis, just to name a few. I don't know if any of them are up your alley but they have some diverse and entertaining books amoung them.

fortuneandglory

I'm a huge fan of Michael Crichton as well. I'd reccomend Prey, Timeline, and Jurassic Park.

I'm in the process of reading some of Dumas' work as well. I'd reccomend The Count of Monte Cristo as well!

And you should try some Jack London as well. Call of the Wild is one of my favorites.

*cough* read Harry Potter *cough* Despite it being classified as a childrens book, it's highly entertaining. I absolutely love those books! You probably wouldn't be sorry if you read it.

fortuneandglory said:
I'm in the process of reading some of Dumas' work as well. I'd reccomend The Count of Monte Cristo as well!

I like Dumas as well, I also like a lot of the French lit even though I don't much like other works from that time. I don't like a lot of the British lit at all, and can't get through much of the early American lit either.

*cough* read Harry Potter *cough* Despite it being classified as a childrens book, it's highly entertaining. I absolutely love those books! You probably wouldn't be sorry if you read it.

Nothing wrong with Harry Potter, I enjoy those as well.

I read a lot of the fluff stuff now, it gives me something to do before bed, I don't have the time to read good books now.

Tessa

Moderator Emeritus
In addition to the Indy books, I have read a whole selection of authors (English literature and writing was my major in college).
My Favorites are:

The Temperance Brennan Series by Kathy Reichs (Grave Secrets, Deja Dead)
Dean Koontz (I lovr reading the Eyes of Darkness and The Whispers over and over).
John Grisham (the current one I read..The Testament is pretty good).
Steven King
VC Andrews
Danielle Steel (I know, romance novels...I need it occasionally).
There was this one book I read either my freshman year in college or senior year in high school that story line started in 1942 to the present and dealt with a Jewish-American family. I think the title was Home Fires, but I'm not certain I'm still looking for that book.

roundshort

WOW thanks for the great suggestions I am heading amazon to look some stuff up thanks! I hope others find some authors to enrich thier reading circle!

Kill Cavalry

Nathaniel Philbrick, "The Heart of the Sea"

Greatest non-fiction work I have ever read. It's just...brilliant. I mean, wow.

Magda

If you want some easy and fun reading while you're relaxing, I would suggest The Sex Lives of Cannibals and Getting Stoned with Savages, both by J. Maarten Troost.

Dani

Hi, check out Traci Harding, fantastic Aussie writer!!!! Sorry cant think of anyothers right now.

Because a friend of mine thought I'd dig the "Viking" connection, I just finished reading "Valhalla Rising" by Clive Cussler....

If you're into reading garbage, I'd recommend it....

So far Tim Severin's "Odin's Child" is MUCH better
(It could hardly be worse.... )

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
Well, the Aussie imitation of Indy is pretty good.

The Cairo Jim Chronicles and the Jocelyn Osgood Jaunts by Geoffrey McSkimming.

A great book I recently read was "Far from Heaven" which is a film noir novel about 1940s Hollywood. It's a great read and it only costed me $2.

I like Micheal Crichton as well, particularly "Jurassic Park" and "Congo."

The "Moneypenny Diaries" was pretty good, but it was very political and had a very heavy focus on the Cuban Missile Crisis of 1962.

I read a lot so I really don't have a particular author I go after all the time. Some books I like for its intelligence and others, for entertainment.

I recommend Aldous Huxley's "Brave New World." A book, which is rather terrifying in how close he predicted the future and how such a future is still possible. He wrote the book in 1931.

Anything by George Orwell, particularly "1984" and "Animal Farm" has rich historical and political context.

westford

Bernard Cornwell's Grail trilogy is pretty good. And The Last Kingdom is a good one too (waiting to read the next one in the series).

I'm currently reading Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett (14th Discworld novel I've read).