Eastern Europe 2006

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
I have just come home from a three weeks «expedition » through eastern europe, so here’s a little report.

I spent the first five days in Berlin (Germany). Berlin is a very vast city and it seemed very peaceful. There’s much to see because of its very heavy historical past. Berlin is definitely the cultural capital of Germany, it’s great for parties and meeting interesting people. Although I have to say that it’s not that much of a pretty city. Everything has been destroyed during the war, so the architecture is pretty modern.
Here’s a part of the Berlin wall, and the inside of the Reichstag dome.

th_DSCN5115.jpg

th_DSCN5123.jpg

Next stop was Krakow in Poland; we took a night train there from Berlin which was very long considering it stopped like every ten minutes. Krakow is beautiful, here’s one city that hasn’t been destroyed by the war and that kept its original spirit. The downside of Krakow is that it's very turistic. I had a great time even though I got sick over vodka+tabasco shots :)sick: it was actually the hostel's welcoming drink...)

th_DSCN5150.jpg

th_DSCN5153.jpg

Of course we couldn’t go to Krakow and not visit Auschwitz. The visit starts with the camp Auschwitz I, which has been arranged into a museum. Then you go to the mass extermination camp Auschwitz II – Birkenau. It was a very moving experience. That's definitly somthing you have to see once in your life, it takes a whole other dimension in real life.

th_DSCN5163.jpg

th_DSCN5187.jpg

Then we took the train to Bratislava in Slovakia. Bratislava is an interesting city, unless you want to go out at night… Right outside Bratislava are the ruins of the castle of Devin, blown out by Napoleon, apparently for no reason. It’s a very important historical site as it is situated in a strategical place, rooted into a cliff high above the confluence of the Danube and Morava rivers. Bratislava isn't so much of a turistic city, the prices are very low so you you can eat good food for extreemly cheap.

th_DSCN5200.jpg

th_DSCN5288.jpg

th_DSCN5286.jpg

We also spent one day in Vienna in Austria, which is only an hour drive from Bratislava (by bus). Vienna is a very rich city, it’s crowded with monuments (kind of like Paris), it’s very eye candy. Overall Vienna makes a big contrast with Bratislava, feels like you're on another planet. The reason we didn’t stay there is because it’s very expensive. Of course one day isn't enough to do it all, but I think we got the general feeling of this city.

th_DSCN5249.jpg

th_DSCN5250.jpg

th_DSCN5268.jpg

Our last stop was Budapest in Hungary. Again this city was very beautiful, great for parties, eating cake and relaxing. We stayed in a great hostel there the "home made hostel" which felt like we where at home. Budapest was a little more expensive then Krakow and Bratislava but the food remained delicious. We also went to the baths, I hadn't done that in years.

th_DSCN5306.jpg

th_DSCN5308.jpg

Overall, this trip was a great experience, i got to meet many different people, with different cultures (hostels are filled with international globetotters). I drank an unreasonable amont of beer which is gerenally 5 times cheaper then in Paris. All I want to do now is take a year off and go around the world. I guess we'll see in a year or two...

Pale Horse

Staff member
vaxer said:
We also went to the baths, I hadn't done that in years.

So it's YOU stinkin' up the forum. Eeesh, I thought it was deadlock's shoes.
grin.gif

Seriously, though great pics, and I very much appreciate the detail in describing them. Devin castle sparks my interest, as does Vienna

Joe Brody

vaxer said:
Although I have to say that it?s not that much of a pretty city. Everything has been destroyed during the war, so the architecture is pretty modern.

And who says that modern architecture isn't pretty? I'd love to go to see Berlin for that very reason, all the new construction over the last 15 years.

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
Pale Horse said:
So it's YOU stinkin' up the forum. Eeesh, I thought it was deadlock's shoes.
grin.gif

Well you know the french reputation... ;)

Joe Brody said:
And who says that modern architecture isn't pretty? I'd love to go to see Berlin for that very reason, all the new construction over the last 15 years.

It's not that it isn't pretty, it's just that it doesn't really stand out in my opinion, it's not really eye-catching. The Reichstag dome is modern architecture and that I admit is very beautiful.

IkoJones

Ehm, I don't want to tantalize, but you said you were in Eastern Europe. But as far as I know, Eastern Europe begins just from Ukraine and more to the East. You were travelling the Central Europe. At least according to my geographical knowledge form the college...
I was hoping that at least Europeans would know the geography of Europe. Don't take me bad, but as I live in Bratislava (incidentally), I just wanted to something on this.
Please, take no offence from this, this is just to put the things to accuracy, at least from my point of you.
Anyway, I'm glad, you let us know of your travels.

Kind Regards

Ico

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
IkoJones said:
You were travelling the Central Europe. At least according to my geographical knowledge form the college...
I was hoping that at least Europeans would know the geography of Europe. Don't take me bad, but as I live in Bratislava (incidentally), I just wanted to something on this.

Actually, Eastern Europe is variably defined according to <a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Europe">wikipedia</a>. I agree that geographicaly "Central Europe" is more correct. But "Eastern Europe" is generally used to reference countries of the former "Eastern Bloc". I don't think you would use that definition in Central Europe though.

nice pics vaxer

Nice pics man, good travels. I would have never have thought about going to those places so its cool to get a perspective on those areas. Im heading to Rome tommorrow and then Barcelona Spain in a few days, then its across the great atlantic I go, Ill be in the carribean for a few weeks. Im working on getting some pictures together to post at the Raven. I will be working on cruise ships around the world for awhile so I will keep the Raven posted on worthy areas. What was your favorite beer on your journeys? Have you ever had Murphys Irish Red from the draught, its damn good.(y) (y)

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
ninepinejones said:
Nice pics man, good travels. I would have never have thought about going to those places so its cool to get a perspective on those areas. Im heading to Rome tommorrow and then Barcelona Spain in a few days, then its across the great atlantic I go, Ill be in the carribean for a few weeks. Im working on getting some pictures together to post at the Raven. I will be working on cruise ships around the world for awhile so I will keep the Raven posted on worthy areas. What was your favorite beer on your journeys? Have you ever had Murphys Irish Red from the draught, its damn good.(y) (y)

Looks like you can highly contribute to this table!
When I was travelling I would drink two to three liters of beer per day, so I've tasted quite a lot. Unfortunaly I've tried so many that it's hard to pick one out. But I'm definitly a fan of the pilsner Budweiser Budvar (not the American Budweiser). Never had that beer you're referring to though.

Im psyched to contribute to this table, I wrote a little bit about my Venice experience on the thread started by Qafir "welcome ninepinejones", Im having trouble downloading my pics to the website, its more complicated than I thought, but I will keep trying, one of my friends here on the ship is a total whiz nut so I have faith I ll get them on soon. The Pilsners are good, lately though Ive been getting into this beer called Hoogarden, man is it tasty! Everybody that is an Indiana Jones fan should Know about this store called "The Dreaming Room", if anybody goes to San Francisco in the states just Google the stores name and get precise directions. The place is amazing, the guy who owns the joint is a true obtainer of rare antiquities, really far out shamanic, supernatural, religious artifacts from around the globe, he knows the bizarre history behind every piece in the place. It would be the coolest job to work for this guy and find these objects in distant corners of the globe, or hell maybe I will just start collecting them myself and open up a store myself, I could have strange artifacts in the front, a acupuncture clinic in the back and an Raven bar dedicated to Indy up top, anybody want to go in on the Idea?(y) (y)