Customizing Indy Figures

Montana Smith

Dr Bones said:
maybe one day I'll do for a more screen accurate version, but I thinks this looks pretty cool in the bakc of the truck with troops around it.

It looks good, Dr Bones. If you were to make another one, you could always score the sticks down the middle to make them each look like two planks, and therefore not so wide.

How did you do the emblem?

You wrote: "Emblem pasted on in 3 sections as the sticks won't take small detail paint (soaks it up and blurs)."

I take it that you glued on a printed label, but it sounds like you were also trying to print directly onto the sticks.

Dr Bones

Montana Smith said:
It looks good, Dr Bones. If you were to make another one, you could always score the sticks down the middle to make them each look like two planks, and therefore not so wide.

How did you do the emblem?

You wrote: "Emblem pasted on in 3 sections as the sticks won't take small detail paint (soaks it up and blurs)."

I take it that you glued on a printed label, but it sounds like you were also trying to print directly onto the sticks.

Thanks.

Well to be SA it would need to be 5 planks high, 4 deep. the sticks are too wide uncut but i could shave them down. Standard sticks are too thin as per crate 2.

So next time I will shave them down or try to source some of a better size for the scale.

I originally tried hand painting the emblem but the wood soaoked up the paint like a sponge and caused it to blur. Maybe needed treating first?

The emblem used was from a really good custom crate design (intended for cardboard) I found browsing on the internet.

I Photoshopped out the existig lines and toned the colour for a closer match to my wood/sticks. Printed onto paper and glued onto the wood. Then cut in with the existing crate gaps with a craft knife.

New cardboard handles, painted black and dry brushed with gunmetal paint for slight weathering. I will post up a new pic asap.

Dr Bones

As it is now.

The colour is much a better match than shows in the pic. It must be something the camera picks out due to the texture of the paper vs wood and the effect this has on light reflection.

Looks better in real life.

But for our puposes it illustrates the are of the "decal".

Sadly the weathering on the handles doesn't show up as well in the pic!!

What can you do?!

ark-1.jpg

Montana Smith

Dr Bones said:
Thanks.

Well to be SA it would need to be 5 planks high, 4 deep. the sticks are too wide uncut but i could shave them down. Standard sticks are too thin as per crate 2.

So next time I will shave them down or try to source some of a better size for the scale.

I originally tried hand painting the emblem but the wood soaoked up the paint like a sponge and caused it to blur. Maybe needed treating first?

The emblem used was from a really good custom crate design (intended for cardboard) I found browsing on the internet.

I Photoshopped out the existig lines and toned the colour for a closer match to my wood/sticks. Printed onto paper and glued onto the wood. Then cut in with the existing crate gaps with a craft knife.

New cardboard handles, painted black and dry brushed with gunmetal paint for slight weathering. I will post up a new pic asap.

It looks good. It would be really tricky to try and paint the emblem, even if you could treat the wood. I realized that there was an odd number of planks after I posted my question, as I was looking at the Disney crate. So simply scoring the sticks wouldn't make it accurate. In any case, your's being made of wood gives it crate-like authenticity ;)

Dr Bones

Montana Smith said:
It looks good. It would be really tricky to try and paint the emblem, even if you could treat the wood. I realized that there was an odd number of planks after I posted my question, as I was looking at the Disney crate. So simply scoring the sticks wouldn't make it accurate. In any case, your's being made of wood gives it crate-like authenticity ;)

Thanks, was my thinking too.

It's far from perfect, but will do for now and was fun for the hour or so it took to make.

Next time I'll go for SA!!! :D

Picture-1.jpg

lao che & sons

I've read through this entire thread! (YES, I'm really bored!) and I saw customs that are simply beutiful. Captain blumbert by Jr. Jones is marvelous. Club obi wan Indy by Inkyskin is fantastic! But I noticed that a year ago Inkyskin started making Lao Che. My alltime favorite Indy villain, along with chatter lal. But the figure was never finished... you know the rest. \

So Inky, did you ever start Lao. Or do you have any hints as to you recipe????:confused: If so please post.

inky_skin

lao che & sons said:
So Inky, did you ever start Lao. Or do you have any hints as to you recipe????:confused: If so please post.

Actually, I did start this figure. Unfortunately the arrival of my second daughter this year really cut down on my customising time. Add to that the fact that I've been experimenting with molding and casting and he kinda got pushed to the back of my roster. However, stay tuned next week for a sneak peak of Lao...

lao che & sons

inky_skin said:
Actually, I did start this figure. Unfortunately the arrival of my second daughter this year really cut down on my customising time. Add to that the fact that I've been experimenting with molding and casting and he kinda got pushed to the back of my roster. However, stay tuned next week for a sneak peak of Lao...

GREAT! I'm going to start working on one myself. Using the pirates of the carribean chinese thug (forgot name) it'll be my first custom and it should be interesting:rolleyes:

inky_skin

lao che & sons said:
GREAT! I'm going to start working on one myself. Using the pirates of the carribean chinese thug (forgot name) it'll be my first custom and it should be interesting:rolleyes:

Well, the resculpting on my Lao head is finished at least - now to complete the body and accessories !

laoche_head.jpg

fenris

has anyone fully customized the head of the 12" Hasbro Whip-action Indy? I was wondering if there are those who managed to change the head to make it look more like harrison ford.

I think I've seen a thread somewhere where somebody was selling harrison ford heads for 12" action figures... but I cannot find it anymore.

For those who have customized the head of these action figures, could you post some pics?

Thanks!

hemble

Damn guys awesome work, Lao sculpt looks awesome and teh 1/6 crate is amazing, and the buffer Mutt looks great.

Ron

inky_skin

Ok - no the greatest pic in the world (as I'm in a hurry), but here's Lao Che.

lao_che.jpg

My favourite thing about him is that apart from the waistcoat, white highlights and head, everything else is DYED - therefore perfect joints !

Montana Smith

inky_skin said:
Ok - no the greatest pic in the world (as I'm in a hurry), but here's Lao Che.

My favourite thing about him is that apart from the waistcoat, white highlights and head, everything else is DYED - therefore perfect joints !

Lao looks great, Inky! (I bet he dyes his hair as well!) (y)

Lance Quazar

AAAWWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

SOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Inky, I cannot tell you what a thrill it is to see another one of your MASTERFUL creations!!!!!!

WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Bravo, this is an OUTSTANDING effort!!!!!!!! Incredible work, please share the recipe!!

I have the most extremely minor nitpick ever. But it seems to me that the "handle" parts of the tommy gun are also made of wood (like the stock) and should be painted brown, as well. In fact, you can tell from this pic they are also textured like wood on the gun.

82k9ah4r05.jpg

But this is a terrific, one of your best. Astounding!!!!