Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - initial impressions and casual discussion

Borbarad

Forrestal1972 said:
Borbarad said:
I hope you do. Thats my point. But I won't KEEP my opinion. I'll express it. If someone doesn't like it then they can debate or they can say nothing. That's how this thing works. As for you not trying to change my opinion, I never for one moment thought you were trying to change it. How could you? For starters, it's my opinion. But more importantly you haven't seen it yet. How could someone who hasn't seen the film yet change my opinion or even challenge it? You have nothing to base it on until you see the movie. When you do I will be happy to go point for point with you. However, after you have seen it, remember, you might just agree with me.
By the way, I don't have the first clue what CHUD is besides the name of a mid eighties horror movie I saw when I was a kid.

CHUD is a site full of Anti-Indy fans whose only goal is to destroy the movie piece by piece. Alright then! express that opinion, why don't you fill us in with the specifics. You said you didn't like the film, but didn't really go much into detail. Here let me demonstrate:

I hated Speed Racer. The whole film was an abomination, I can't believe I'm saying this. I'm not really going to go into the specifics though. Just thought it sucked.

See?

I could have written the review you typed up 2 weeks before the premiere.

What age am I? Why does it matter. I could be a 65 year old Ford, or a 10 year old ShortRound(Not sure if he's that old :confused: ).

Forrestal1972

Skipper said:
Forrestal1972, I'm not trying to bait you, I'm just interested in your honest opinion: Why do you think the average movie critic liked the movie more than you did? Obviously, you don't know what's going on inside critics' heads, but it just seems odd to me that the average critic thought the movie was pretty good, yet an Indy fan like you didn't like it.
Yeah, I know yo're not trying to bait me Skipper. And again I apologise if I seem a little gruff.
I really don't know why I diverge from the professional critics. I haven't read many reviews except for one or two straight after the Cannes premiere. It felt like a movie written by committe. One moment they are captured. Then they escape and get captured again 5 mins later. In the interim they have an apparantly comic moment say in quicksand. The audience asks, what the point in that. This kind of thing happens so often thoughout the film. There was very little cohension to it. The direction really reminded me of Hook. sort of bored and lazy. Going through the motions. The alien parts were very out of place and by the time we get to the lost city I just didn't care anymore. Now, you are talking to the guy who knows every word of Raiders and drives his girlfriend crazy by reciting them. Man oh man, if I go on I am just going to annoy poeple on this site. Especially those who seem blind to at least entertaining that someone who is a die hard fan might have an opinion that diverges from theirs. I don't refer to you in that last part.

Skipper

Forrestal1972 said:
I really don't know why I diverge from the professional critics. I haven't read many reviews except for one or two straight after the Cannes premiere. It felt like a movie written by committe. One moment they are captured. Then they escape and get captured again 5 mins later. In the interim they have an apparantly comic moment say in quicksand. The audience asks, what the point in that. This kind of thing happens so often thoughout the film. There was very little cohension to it. The direction really reminded me of Hook. sort of bored and lazy. Going through the motions. The alien parts were very out of place and by the time we get to the lost city I just didn't care anymore. Now, you are talking to the guy who knows every word of Raiders and drives his girlfriend crazy by reciting them.
I'm sure all of your criticisms are legitimate ones. It just seems that most critics (although admittedly, there are some bad reviews) were willing to overlook those flaws because they thought it was a fun, action-packed movie. I think maybe someone who is a huge Indy fan is less likely to overlook flaws because the movie is so important to them (I'm just speculating). But I don't know -- I guess we can't really have an intelligent conversation about it until I've actually seen the movie!

Borbarad

Another side note:

I am qualified to argue your stances because you claim Indy was terrible(not exactly what you said) in this movie, but I was personally satisifed with some of the "Indy" scenes in the TV Spots and Trailer, heck even the screenies.

Forrestal1972

Borbarad said:
Forrestal1972 said:
CHUD is a site full of Anti-Indy fans whose only goal is to destroy the movie piece by piece. Alright then! express that opinion, why don't you fill us in with the specifics. You said you didn't like the film, but didn't really go much into detail. Here let me demonstrate:

I hated Speed Racer. The whole film was an abomination, I can't believe I'm saying this. I'm not really going to go into the specifics though. Just thought it sucked.

See?

I could have written the review you typed up 2 weeks before the premiere.

What age am I? Why does it matter. I could be a 65 year old Ford, or a 10 year old ShortRound(Not sure if he's that old :confused: ).
I asked your age because you didn't seem to understand that someone can have an opinion that is valid even if you don't agree with it. If you are a 10 year old Shorty then I understand and will discontinue this as I don't usually debate with children.
As for your example of a review, well, I did not purport to give a review. I merly posted that I saw the movie (which you haven't) and I was dissapointed. I am not so blind as to think I am right and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong. I simply think I am right for me. Not for you or anyone else for that matter.
I really don't think you understand what I'm talking about. This is what makes me wonder about your age. Anyway, I'm dropping it with you in case you are a kid. Hope you enjoy the movie. I'll always enjoy the previous 3.

Forrestal1972

Borbarad said:
Another side note:

I am qualified to argue your stances because you claim Indy was terrible(not exactly what you said) in this movie, but I was personally satisifed with some of the "Indy" scenes in the TV Spots and Trailer, heck even the screenies.
You are not until you've seen the film and I DID NOT SAY INDY WAS TERRIBLE. You do sound personaly satisfied though.

Forrestal1972

Skipper said:
I'm sure all of your criticisms are legitimate ones. It just seems that most critics (although admittedly, there are some bad reviews) were willing to overlook those flaws because they thought it was a fun, action-packed movie. I think maybe someone who is a huge Indy fan is less likely to overlook flaws because the movie is so important to them (I'm just speculating). But I don't know -- I guess we can't really have an intelligent conversation about it until I've actually seen the movie!
I look forward to that conversation Skipper. Really hope you think it rocks.

Skipper

Forrestal1972 said:
I look forward to that conversation Skipper. Really hope you think it rocks.
Thanks. I really feel bad for you, because I know how frustrating it must be to be so disappointed after waiting 19 years. I'm just hoping I can avoid the same fate -- I'm pretty confident I'll like it, but I guess you never know.

Forrestal1972

Skipper said:
Thanks. I really feel bad for you, because I know how frustrating it must be to be so disappointed after waiting 19 years. I'm just hoping I can avoid the same fate -- I'm pretty confident I'll like it, but I guess you never know.
Dude, remain positive about it. If you like it, I will be the first to champion your rite to say it loud and proud. So stay up about it and I'll search for your post review tomorrow.

Borbarad

Forrestal1972 said:
Borbarad said:
I asked your age because you didn't seem to understand that someone can have an opinion that is valid even if you don't agree with it. If you are a 10 year old Shorty then I understand and will discontinue this as I don't usually debate with children.
As for your example of a review, well, I did not purport to give a review. I merly posted that I saw the movie (which you haven't) and I was dissapointed. I am not so blind as to think I am right and anyone who disagrees with me is wrong. I simply think I am right for me. Not for you or anyone else for that matter.
I really don't think you understand what I'm talking about. This is what makes me wonder about your age. Anyway, I'm dropping it with you in case you are a kid. Hope you enjoy the movie. I'll always enjoy the previous 3.

Oh, don't worry I'm not a child. I perfectly understand what you're saying. If you want to debate you're going to need to add in more than what you have currently provided. I suppose this is going to have to wait though since I'm leaving now to go watch it. You outright trashed the entire movie, so it won't really be hard to debate you, even if I don't think very highly of the movie. :whip:

Forrestal1972

Borbarad said:
Forrestal1972 said:
Oh, don't worry I'm not a child. I perfectly understand what you're saying. If you want to debate you're going to need to add in more than what you have currently provided. I suppose this is going to have to wait though since I'm leaving now to go watch it. You outright trashed the entire movie, so it won't really be hard to debate you, even if I don't think very highly of the movie. :whip:
OMG, you really don't get it. Why shouls I add anything more to a so called debate with someone who hasn't seen it. It like speaking French to an Eskimo. Go see it, then we can parle. It should take too long to "debate" with you. As for your outright trashed the movie, well, its just further prrof that you don't get it. I gave my view which was one of dissapointment. That is not trashing which is an agreesive assault. I even trailed off in my original post because i just couldn't go on, What yo and I have been talking about is free speech. I advocate it and implement it. You blindly defend something before you have even seen it. Just go and watch the movie "kid". And incase you didn't understand me before (I can't say it slowly because I'm typing this, but I can try to type it slowly if it helps), I really, really, really hope you love it! That would actually male me happy. Becaue I am not trying to change anyones mind. I was just expressing wht was on mine. For an example of how proper discourse goes, see the posts on this thread between Skipper and I. HE hasn't seen it either (like you) but he want to enjoy it and is still comfortable enough in his own opinion to at least tolerate mine. That's how its done. Civilised. So go see it and for the love of all that is holy, I hope you enjoy it!!!!!!!

adrian142

I've seen it yesterday and I will see it 2nd time today:
KOTCS isn't a bad Indiana Jones movie!

I like it and I'm sure it will grow on me further.

The only thing I disliked was that it is too short.
With a little more time things could have been "developed" more slowly (perhaps in an Extended Version on DVD?).

On the other hand - to be "slow" was never a feature of an Indiana Jones film.

At the moment of writing my order is ToD, RotLA, and - on par - KOTCS/LC.

ValenciaGrail

This is a test of the Emergency Troll Alert System......................................................

Had this been an actual trolling, Mods would have directed you where to post actual debates and serious exchange of opinions.

This concludes this test of the Emergency Troll Alert system

Finn

Staff member
Look, a thread on top of the forum. Conveniently named and placed.

I'd suspend the one who opened the freshly merged thread but it's his luck I'm in a hurry.

Killah|Bee

OMG i would never say LC = KOTCS

BTW im just arrive home after seen the movie and i feel kinda confused, really i dont know how i should feel, theres those clasic scenes when reminds you when you were a kid and saw the first time RoTLA, but there are those crapy scenes like mutt - monkey -tarzan - wanna be.

I mean harrison intepretation was great, he is Indy in all apsects, but something didnt work as well, the movie isnt bad, is a good movie but isnt what you use to remind, maybe Indy just belong to that pre -WWII era, figth against nazis guys like

The wedding scene its great ... anyway its just to have you back Dr. Jones, maybe would be better if go and race to catch the ark again not some x files McGuffin.

Anyway i would watch again the movie, i think i just come to the cinema with to much presion and with this long waiting stress that didnt let me concentrate at all.

:whip:

nzlc

That tarzan scene was so bad!! I actually burst out laughing the whole jungle chase is full of special graphics

nitzsche

I just got back - I am delighted by what I saw - but the experience went by so damn fast. The movie felt really, really short, but then I am thinking about everything I saw and realize the movie is packed to the brim with stuff. The pacing was perfect.

Indiana Jones evolved perfectly as a character. Harrison brought his A game and I was so glad to see that sparkle in his eye.

Mutt was the furthest thing from annoying. The kid was hilarious and played off Indy perfectly.

Blanchett delivered an eerie villain performance and was involved in a lot more action than I thought she would be. I loved how they were all working together as much as they were working against each other.

The Marion/Indy chemistry was still there.

Witty dialogue, sentimental moments, great stunts, good cast chemistry... awesome puzzles... we get waaaay more complex exposition about the archaeology behind the quest.

Young Indy references and a nice little history of Indy over the last 20 years.

The finale didn't bother me at all... though I will say it seemed odd no one but Indy seemed to seriously react to the gravity of the situation - maybe I just missed it.

I'm all over the place... I am seeing it again tomorrow and will be able to review it better.

nzlc

Blanchett was awesome.I didnt like how jim broardbent has what like 5 lines in the whole thing!
See the whole alien thing bothered be especially at the end and spalkos death couldve been a bit cooler with the fire