Terminator Salvation

Goonie

So now that this board is back up,

What did you guys think of Terminator Salvation? After watching the movie, did you get the urge to yell profanities and trash someone's lights? lol

I thought the movie was good. Definitely a different Terminator. Arny's quick appearance was neat. The T-600 was cool. I wonder how the story will continue in T5 and hopefully it won't take more than 7 years to bring it to theaters.

Joe Brody

I just don't get the Christian Bale casting. The story was serviceable, the females were solid and the infiltrator terminator was compelling -- obvious -- but compelling.

But why hand the franchise to a starchy, over-exposed actor is beyond me.

deckard24

Joe Brody said:
I just don't get the Christian Bale casting. The story was serviceable, the females were solid and the infiltrator terminator was compelling -- obvious -- but compelling.

But why hand the franchise to a starchy, over-exposed actor is beyond me.
Agreed!

If anything Bale was the weakest link, and it didn't help that he was doing the gravelly Batman voice the whole time.

The highlight of the film for me was Anton Yelchin as young Kyle Reese. Sam Worthington as well did a great job with Marcus. The film had a bit too much green screen at times, especially with the background shots of the desert, but overall the FX were pretty sweet. Also, the T-800 appearance was a nice touch, and the Guns N' Roses nod was hilarious.

Overall I'd say it had its moments, but it just didn't live up to the hype, nor did it turn out to be the film the trailers suggested.

Bjorn Heimdall

I saw it last night, it was alright but rather forgettable. Somehow the walking terminators aren't menacing enough even if there are a lot of them, the flying ships and motorcycle termiators are much more scary. Also I thought the dialogue was rather cheesy at times or in fact almost every time a character opened his or her mouth. The character of Connor´s wife was completely wasted, she was a lot more interesting in part 3.

Spoilers:
The machines are rather dumb in this film. They go through a lot of trouble to get Connor inside Skynet but then botch it completely by resetting the human terminator only to gloat over their victory, instead of just disabling him so he could not help Connor at all. Also they have a rather weak plan of killing Connor, sending just one terminator to do the job... yeah that has worked so well before.

Last edited:

The Man

Why can't Skynet simply send a Terminator back to when Sarah Connor was a defenceless little girl? Problem solved.

TheMutt92

4.5/5

I think I'm one of the few that REALLY liked this movie. The first half was solid, a bit choppy and more action oriented in my opinion. But as soon as the second half came... it was an experience! Granted this is from a guy who has not seen an entire Terminator flick until yesterday, but...

San Holo

Only one word comes to my mind when I think of my T4 experience....

boring.jpg

kongisking

Terminator Salvation screwed fifeteen donkeys wearing duck-fur hats and owl-pelt bras!!!!!!!!!!!

AKA: The movie ****ing rocked me something stupendous. McG, I love you forever...Bravo, Sire!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

NOTE: Yup. Nobody beats Kongisking when it comes to positive reactions from a blockbuster...

San Holo said:
Only one word comes to my mind when I think of my T4 experience....

boring.jpg

Oh, so you think the Harvester sequence, the Moto-Terminator chase, the Hydrobot attack, and the T-800 fight were boring, huh? If this is your definition of boring, I'd frickin' die from sheer action-movie-fan-love and go to heaven seeing a movie you call "thrilling."

Last edited:
kongisking said:
Oh, so you think the Harvester sequence, the Moto-Terminator chase, the Hydrobot attack, and the T-800 fight were boring, huh? If this is your definition of boring, I'd frickin' die from sheer action-movie-fan-love and go to heaven seeing a movie you call "thrilling."

Please don't put that gay clip art up again...please?

Well, the one flaw in your rebuttal is the FACT, (and I DO mean fact) that if you don't care about the characters then the action is there for actions sake. When you DO care about the characters you're right beside them in the movie ducking and wincing.

Sort of like people who don't really like Mutt and keep him at arms length like Indy did. After all, when he didn't know they were related he really didn't care about him enough to tell him he should finish school. He just shook his head and asked him what he would do instead.

TheMutt92

Cameron on Salvation...

http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/12/18...-sold-original-terminator-movie-rights-for-1/

I have seen it, and unfortunately I saw it the wrong way, on cable at the hotel, while I was working, over three nights because I don't have much time. It's better than I thought it was going to be.

It's actually quite reverential to the mythos of the Terminator world. I think McG and the writers tried hard to keep reacquainting you with some of those ideas in the story that they were weaving. So actually I thought it was pretty cool. I did feel that it sort of lacked Je ne sais quoi. Although I love Sam [Worthington] in it.

I think Sam [Worthington] is remarkable in the film because, well, I think Sam is remarkable in anything he does. Interestingly, I think McG did a good job in the sense, I think he was almost too referential to the mythos of the first and second film. He over-quoted them in a way. It didn't feel to me to be enough of a reinvention. I mean the thing we did with the second film is that we reinvented the first film completely; spun it on its ass and made the Terminator the good guy, and came up with a whole new concept for a villain, it felt fresh. I didn't feel the fourth picture was fresh enough. It also lacked a certain stamp of authenticity because Arnold wasn't in it. I mean, he was in it briefly, digitally, but that's not the same thing.

JP Jones

I've decided to watch a terminator movie every week until I get through all 4. Today was Terminator 1.

To start things off, NOBODY TOLD ME THIS WAS A HORROR MOVIE!!!!!!!!!!!! Not that it's a bad thing, but when I think Terminator, I think Action. And the action was pretty tame. However, this movie was scary. I started to sense that this thing was actually a cold-blooded machine, and once you have that thought, the movie (especially the final chase, fight, thing) becomes extremely thrilling. I thought the acting was alright. Arnold was great though, because he sold me on being a machine, something I really thought wouldn't happen.

There are many better movies out there, but since I'm classifying it as horror film, I can say it one of the best I've seen in the genre.

I cannot wait for next week!

Montana Smith

JP Jones said:

You let me down, JP. You were meant to reply: "I know"

Terminator screenplay said:
ATTENDANT
There is a storm coming in.

Sarah gazes at the thunderheads building up out over the
desert. Heat lightning pulses in their depths.

SARAH
I know.

It's a classic couple of movie lines that I'll never forget!

JP Jones

Montana Smith said:
You let me down, JP. You were meant to reply: "I know"

It's a classic couple of movie lines that I'll never forget!
Oh, how silly of me:D I thought you meant T2 was a storm or something.

And BTW, if you're wondering about my thoughts on T2 you'll have to wait until later this week. I could'nt get my hands on it today.