Two other continuity problems?

Adam McDaniel

First thing I noticed was that during the warehouse scene, Indy drops a machine gun that, when it hits the ground, fires a bullet into the lead Russian soldier's foot. The soldier screams in pain...but when we see him later in the movie, he's not limping or bandaged at all!

Also, at the end, right before they enter the Temple, Indy tells everyone that only he should return the crystal skull. "Why you?" Marion asks. "Because it told me to," Indy answers.

In the very next shot, THE ENTIRE GROUP is entering the temple! Was a scene cut? Why would Indy make such a thing about going at it alone, only to have everyone else follow him a second later?

Perhaps they'd all been watching too much Scooby-Doo? Indy should have told the gang to stay back in the Mystery Machine.

motifone

The tossing the gun on the ground and firing a bullet was lame. My friend had a much better idea, which would've made Indy much more active in plotting his escape, rather than some gun accidentally going off.

They should have all shot at him, and the bullets zapped back onto the uber-magnetized crate, hitting some of the soldiers in the process.

|ZiR|

motifone said:
They should have all shot at him, and the bullets zapped back onto the uber-magnetized crate, hitting some of the soldiers in the process.

That's actually what I was expecting to happen in that scene. It goes without saying that I was disappointed with how it played out. :(

kom13

this may have been mentioned elsewhere, i don't know, but i thought it was thoroughly strange that indy didn't use his whip to get out of the quicksand (dry sand pit)
wtf is up with that???

Perhilion

Well, the real reason is that they wouldn't have been able to do the snake gag, but I suppose you could say that by the time Indy thought of it his whip was submerged.

metalinvader

kom13 said:
this may have been mentioned elsewhere, i don't know, but i thought it was thoroughly strange that indy didn't use his whip to get out of the quicksand (dry sand pit)
wtf is up with that???

Well,I'm not sure if you noticed but Indy left his whip back at the camp.

991130-photo-178.jpg

Legendary Times

kom13 said:
this may have been mentioned elsewhere, i don't know, but i thought it was thoroughly strange that indy didn't use his whip to get out of the quicksand (dry sand pit) wtf is up with that???

You serious? Uhm, because he was held prisoner at the camp and he didn 't have the whip on him, Einstein.

Edit: Thanks metalinvader for the shot.

PS: metalinvader, where did you get that nice screen shot from? Just courious...

Perhilion

....he lost his whip? Is that as big a deal as losing the hat? Where would he get another one in the 50's?

kom13

alright i'm an idiot, i've only seen it once yet, and i couldn't remember the deal.
makes sense, but the snake gag was way too over the top, indy should've grabbed his whip during the escape

kom13

(i'm the first person to point out dumb statements, mine included)
but really the pit scene would've been the perfect spot for some gratuitous whip action.

The Golden Idol

metalinvader said:
Well,I'm not sure if you noticed but Indy left his whip back at the camp.

991130-photo-178.jpg

Is it just me or does Indy barely look like the "real Indy" in the above pic? His jacket looks new, shiny and too dark, and he's not wearing his bag. The absence of his whip and gunbelt don't help either. It looks more like some old guy in an incomplete, unaccurate costume trying to impersonate Indy.

James

Adam McDaniel said:
Also, at the end, right before they enter the Temple, Indy tells everyone that only he should return the crystal skull. "Why you?" Marion asks. "Because it told me to," Indy answers.

In the very next shot, THE ENTIRE GROUP is entering the temple! Was a scene cut? Why would Indy make such a thing about going at it alone, only to have everyone else follow him a second later?

I think the general idea was more of a "you guys really don't have to go on with this, but I do" kind've thing. In the book, Indy makes this comment they've survived the waterfall.

CaliforniaJones

I think its funny that the Russians are using a de-forester to make a road through the jungle. Then after Indy takes it out with the RPG, the continue to chase each other on not one road, but two at times.:rolleyes:

Michael24

The Golden Idol said:
Is it just me or does Indy barely look like the "real Indy" in the above pic? His jacket looks new, shiny and too dark, and he's not wearing his bag. The absence of his whip and gunbelt don't help either.

Those items are missing because they've just made an escape from the Russian camp where they were being held, and the bad guys had previously confiscated those items.

Seaner said:
i also dont get why he attempts at saving mac at the end isnt he a double agent?

Well, from what we know, Indy and Mac were good friends during WWII, so Indy probably felt conflicted. Even though Mac had turned on him, Indy probably couldn't easily just forget about all the better days they'd had together and let Mac die, so he at least wanted to try and save Mac.