Which film is KOTCS most like to you?

Which film did KOTCS remind you of the most?

• Raiders of the Lost Ark

Votes: 3 5.3%
  • Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

Votes: 36 63.2%

• Total voters
None of the above. Crystal Skull was so disappointing. I am a huge fan of the prior Indiana Jones movies seeing them numerous times each. I was really excited to see what they came up with after all this time and thought it was terribly cliche, there was too many hopeless attempts as trying to encourage interest with action scenes and no imagination in re-creating the magic of Indiana Jones as it was...in what did was the relevance of Indy surviving an atomic bomb blast in a refrigerator have to do with the rest of the movie? All in all a dismal effort.

Darth Vile

IndyJess said:
None of the above. Crystal Skull was so disappointing. I am a huge fan of the prior Indiana Jones movies seeing them numerous times each. I was really excited to see what they came up with after all this time and thought it was terribly cliche, there was too many hopeless attempts as trying to encourage interest with action scenes and no imagination in re-creating the magic of Indiana Jones as it was...in what did was the relevance of Indy surviving an atomic bomb blast in a refrigerator have to do with the rest of the movie? All in all a dismal effort.

Hmmm - You seem to be a little too "cliché" yourself IndyJess...

Major West

IndyJess said:

Change the record love.

FILMKRUSC

IndyJess said:

:hat: None of the above is right. More like Attack Of the Killer Tomatoes - boring...

Bullwhip

IndyJess said:
what did was the relevance of Indy surviving an atomic bomb blast in a refrigerator have to do with the rest of the movie? All in all a dismal effort.

What relevance did the idol, Nurhachi, and the Cross of Coronado have to the previous movies?

Sankara

Lance Quazar said:
What, no option for "the Phantom Menace"?

Yes! Or what about "Jaws 4" *LOL*

That's the main problem of "Skull". This movie is not like an Indy-Movie...

@Indy's Brother
This is only your opinion. According to imdb, rottentomatoes or the empire magazin most people think that skull is the worst of the indy movies,

Bullwhip

LOL. "Most people". Was there a worldwide exit poll done that I didn't know about?

You sure spend a lot of time thinking about a movie that you can't stand to think about.

Indy's brother

Sankara said:
@Indy's Brother
This is only your opinion. According to imdb, rottentomatoes or the empire magazin most people think that skull is the worst of the indy movies,

Jesus Christ, Sankara, get off it already. To say that you sound like a broken record would be insulting broken records. I wasn't talking about Skull in that post, nor did I mention Skull in that post. I only Commented on Doom. Seek Help.

sandiegojones

Sankara said:
Yes! Or what about "Jaws 4" *LOL*

That's the main problem of "Skull". This movie is not like an Indy-Movie...

@Indy's Brother
MOST PEOPLE do not spend all their time on the internet. MOST people don't go to rottentomatoes or imdb. Sure, a lot do, but you're discounting many filmgoers that are older who don't spend all day on the internet.

I happen to have a job where I'm in front of a computer all day so I can visit this site, but I know a lot of people with tough jobs who don't spend time on the computer who go to movies and liked KOTCS. Those people wont show up on some lame poll. By the way, there were plenty of other sites that did polls where people were positive about KOTCS. You don't state facts, just the info that supports your point of view.

Also, just because people say they think it's 4th of the Indy movies doesn't mean they didn't like it.

James

RottenTomatoes is not an accurate measurement for how older films were received. It can only take into account the vintage reviews that have been archived online, while including reviews that have been written within the past decade. Sorry, but I don't think Cinemablend.com and eFilmcritic.com provide revealing snapshots of how a film was received in 1984.

And that's what we're really talking about here. If we're going to hold KOTCS up against the previous three, we can only do so by putting each of them in perspective.

So then the same holds true for IMDB rankings. Sure, they allow us to see how the films are perceived 20+ years later (at least by a certain demographic), but this is done using votes that were cast from the same modern perspective.

Let's not kid ourselves that either TOD or LC would receive the same nostalgic reaction if released today. Reactions for both were mixed upon their original releases, and today's overly-cynical environment would not prove any kinder.

If anything, all this suggests is that KOTCS will one day be regarded with a lot more nostalgia and fondness than we see today. As we discussed in a separate thread, these films will likely be judged as a complete work- rather than on their individual merits. I say this because it's the way nearly all classic franchises are regarded today. Critics will continue to place ROTLA on a higher pedestal than the rest, but it's unlikely they will make any great distinctions beyond that.

deckard24

James said:
RottenTomatoes is not an accurate measurement for how older films were received. It can only take into account the vintage reviews that have been archived online, while including reviews that have been written within the past decade. Sorry, but I don't think Cinemablend.com and eFilmcritic.com provide revealing snapshots of how a film was received in 1984.

And that's what we're really talking about here. If we're going to hold KOTCS up against the previous three, we can only do so by putting each of them in perspective.

So then the same holds true for IMDB rankings. Sure, they allow us to see how the films are perceived 20+ years later (at least by a certain demographic), but this is done using votes that were cast from the same modern perspective.

Let's not kid ourselves that either TOD or LC would receive the same nostalgic reaction if released today. Reactions for both were mixed upon their original releases, and today's overly-cynical environment would not prove any kinder.

If anything, all this suggests is that KOTCS will one day be regarded with a lot more nostalgia and fondness than we see today. As we discussed in a separate thread, these films will likely be judged as a complete work- rather than on their individual merits. I say this because it's the way nearly all classic franchises are regarded today. Critics will continue to place ROTLA on a higher pedestal than the rest, but it's unlikely they will make any great distinctions beyond that.
Good post!:hat:

I agree if TOD or LC were released today, they too would face harsh criticism, moreso TOD then LC in my opinion. LC's father/son dynamic with Ford and Connery is one of the absolute highlights of that film, and even though the Mutt/Indy relationship was handled well in KOTCS, it by no means is in the same league as Henry Sr. and Henry Jr.! As much as I love TOD, it is definitely the most flawed of the original series, and edges out KOTCS by a fair margin! Given time though KOTCS will just be another sequel in the series, seen similarly with Live Free or Die Hard and the Die Hard series.

sandiegojones

TOD and LC would most certainly get equal criticism.

The reviews on rottentomatoes.com are very recent (from DVD's and websites). Half of the critics on RT are barely 30 years old and have lame sites - they aren't real critics. How many critics are on RT that were reviewing films 25-30 years ago? Roger Ebert, Rex Reed and...can't think of any more.

TOD was like 50/50 when it first came out and fans were harsh towards it. People just don't know history. Even now it's 84% on RT which isn't much higher than KOTCS.

The Man

sandiegojones said:
TOD and LC would most certainly get equal criticism.

The reviews on rottentomatoes.com are very recent (from DVD's and websites). Half of the critics on RT are barely 30 years old and have lame sites - they aren't real critics. How many critics are on RT that were reviewing films 25-30 years ago? Roger Ebert, Rex Reed and...can't think of any more.

TOD was like 50/50 when it first came out and fans were harsh towards it. People just don't know history. Even now it's 84% on RT which isn't much higher than KOTCS.

Well, to be fair, the RT fan rating has Temple at 92% with Skull at 65%. Only the coming years will tell if that gap will close or change significantly at all...

James

The Man said:
Only the coming years will tell if that gap will close or change significantly at all...

And if the previous films are any indication, nostalgia will certainly become a factor at some point.