Wubble-u?

TennesseBuck

In the opening scene, when Indy is asked by Spalko how he knew she was not from around Nevada, he says, "Well, the way you are sinking your teeth into those wubble-u's, I would say you are nothing more than Eastern Ukraine."

What in god's name is a wubble-u? Wubble-u is a 90's dance group...also wubble refers to hair grown on a woman's face. At least, that is all I could find. Anyone else want to enlighten me??? :confused:

The Man

Harrison thought it was funny. Steven thought it was funny. George taught it was funny. Koepp asked Spielberg if he could be allowed to find it funny. After being granted permission, he too thought it was funny.

It was not funny.

TennesseBuck said:
In the opening scene, when Indy is asked by Spalko how he knew she was not from around Nevada, he says, "Well, the way you are sinking your teeth into those wubble-u's, I would say you are nothing more than Eastern Ukraine."

What in god's name is a wubble-u? Wubble-u is a 90's dance group...also wubble refers to hair grown on a woman's face. At least, that is all I could find. Anyone else want to enlighten me??? :confused:

The way she pronounces W...as in

You Vill help us get Vat Ve Vant:dead:

Pale Horse

Staff member
Notice the upside down golden arches on the trunck of this vee-double-you

Image009.jpg

The Man said:
Harrison thought it was funny. Steven thought it was funny. George taught it was funny. Koepp asked Spielberg if he could be allowed to find it funny. After being granted permission, he too thought it was funny.

It was not funny.

I thought it was humorous...:dead:

nitzsche

His snide remark was to show her how she is mispronouncing her W's. So obviously he is going to make the right sound, not the V sound she makes. She's sinking her teeth into them turning W into V.

It's funny.

He should have topped it off by bashing her teeth in and then laughing about it.

Lance Quazar

The Man said:

It was not funny.

I don't care if it was an ad lib by Ford or not, it was the most awkward, out-of-character line in a movie that was replete with awkward, out-of-character lines.

oki9Sedo

When saying "w" in the context of a word, they "sink their teeth" into it and make it sound like a "v". ("Ve have vays of making you talk, Mr. Bond")

When saying "w" on its own, they pronounce it "wubble-you".

That was my understanding of the joke anyway.

For what its worth I thought it was a good line. Two insults in one! Good old Indy.

The Drifter

This is my favorite line in the movie.
I did not catch it when I was it at the theater, and I was amused by it when I first heard it during my vewing of the DVD.

Stoo

Pale Horse said:
Notice the upside down golden arches on the trunck of this vee-double-you
The Man said:
Is that a Nazi cross in the back window..?
Do you mean an Iron Cross? It's been around since long before the Nazi party...But, yes, it does look like one.
Nice pic, Paley. This is a definitely a custom 'cause (among other things) it looks like lots of putty there to
exaggerate the Vee-Dub shape. There are lot of evil-looking Beetles out there and this one is pretty scary!:eek:

Anyway, I thought the "wubble-u" line was pretty staightforward. Guess not since this isn't the first time the subject has been brought up.:)

Dewy9

Lonsome_Drifter said:
This is my favorite line in the movie.
I did not catch it when I was it at the theater, and I was amused by it when I first heard it during my vewing of the DVD.

While it's not my favorite of the movie ("Not as easy as it used to be" is mine), I do love the back and forth between Indy, Mac, and Spalko outside the warehouse. The first few times I couldn't understand what he was saying (I thought "wubbaloos"), but it cracks me up now.

deckard24

Unfortunately it's just another example of a joke that fell flat in the movie! I don't know if it was just the line, or the combination of it and Ford's delivery, but there was not even the slightest chuckle in the theater during that moment!

The Man

deckard24 said:
Unfortunately it's just another example of a joke that fell flat in the movie! I don't know if it was just the line, or the combination of it and Ford's delivery, but there was not even the slightest chuckle in the theater during that moment!

Ford's delivery is a little too...cheesy.

Dr.Jonesy

deckard24 said:
Yeah, you're probably right! Speaking of cheesey, the quicksand scene comes immediately to mind as another example!

I don't mind the "W" quote, but I detest the quicksand scene.

It's too...comical and Last Crusade-ish.