Lucas: No point to making Indy 4

ScarfaceJoker

I think part of the problem with Lucas is that he just doesn't think before he speaks.

I doubt the quote was meant to sound as off-hand and casual as it does on paper/screen and Lucas probably doesn't think about how people will react to it.

I also think the quote is probably taken out of context from a longer interview and probably posted online just to add to the theory as to how Lucas has 'lost it'. :rolleyes:

WillKill4Food

I actually agree with him.
What's the point in making any adventure movie except it might be fun?
With Star Wars, there was a saga of stories to be told.
But with Indy, every story is seperate and independent, so the story itself doesn't really advance that much.
The only things that really happened (in regards to the previous stories) is that Indy found his son (which didn't exist except in this story), Indy and Marion married, and two main characters (Sr. and Marcus) died.
So, really, was there any point to the movie, except for the fun?

Forbidden Eye

Technically, what's the point of making any movie?

Man-kind has survived 1000s of years without film, so no film of any type needs to get made. It's for entertainment, first and foremost.

WillKill4Food

Well, some stories should be completed. World you've wanted Pirates 3 or Return of the Jedi to not be made? What if Dallas had been canceled after JR got shot? The public gets caught up in cliffhangers, so resolution movies should be made, and are not completely pointless.

KOTCS, however, was not a resolution. And, honestly, it wasn't that good. I hope that it's the last Indy ever made.

spiralout

What was the point of making Raiders other than "Gee, this might be fun"? Hasn't Spielberg's philosophy always been "We're making this up as we go along"?

The point was to see if he could make millions off a POS with the name Indiana Jones slapped on it. Now George is laughing all the way to the bank. He doesn't even have to try to make something good anymore.

sandiegojones

The fact that threads like these permeate this site show that many of your lives are pointless.

Give it up already. It got made, you didn't like so deal with it.

DIrishB

Agent Spalko said:
The point was to see if he could make millions off a POS with the name Indiana Jones slapped on it. Now George is laughing all the way to the bank. He doesn't even have to try to make something good anymore.

Just a quick question: Why choose a forum handle named after a character in a "POS movie", as you put it? Just wondering.

WillKill4Food

DIrishB said:
Just a quick question: Why choose a forum handle named after a character in a "POS movie", as you put it? Just wondering.
She picked the name BEFORE she saw the movie, back when we had expectations of grandeur.

Darth Vile

Isn't the point that... they made KOTCS because they wanted to rather than because they felt they had to??? You may agree/disagree with the quality of KOTCS, but surely the sentiment is sound...

Walton

"...this might be fun."

You'd think a man with career-long friends would know those friends well enough to be certain something involving them will be fun. "I know we made three movies we had so much fun making...but a fourth one...I don't know, making it might suck. I mean, we've got all this money we don't need...and limitless digital FX power in our pinky toes...writers who sacrifice themselves in Thuggee cult rituals just to hear our story ideas...nameless extras lining up to dress as Nazis so our lead character can throw sand in all their eyes or run them over with convoy trucks. I'm not sure we have enough to make this some definite fun."

Really? GL, "I find your lack of faith disturbing."

..."have to"? GL, SS, and HF don't have to do anything. Does GL know who he and his friends are? They're not us, that's for sure. GL's talking like he's someone's whiny apprentice for crying out loud. "My master demands a new movie once every 3 to 5 years. He's crazy! I'll show him. I'll go through 5 writers and take 10 years on writing alone. That'll teach him."

ScarfaceJoker said:
I also think the quote is probably taken out of context from a longer interview and probably posted online just to add to the theory as to how Lucas has 'lost it'. :rolleyes:

Could be out of context, sure. Anything could go that way.

As to your theory about this post. Well, if your theory is that he's lost it and it adds to it, that's your business. I don't think GL's lost it. I think he stopped living his life deliberately. He doesn't strike me as being hungry like he used to be. He's not crazy. He's bored. Boredom has replaced passion.

To be the guy who re-made Greedo to take a weak shot at Han, and then show up on KOTCS set in a t-shirt that says, "Han shot first." There's nothing "lost it" in that. It strikes me as a childish stab at people tied to dreamless jobs that screams, "Because I can." That or the worst apology for changing/wrecking a classic scene ever!

Put it this way:

20th CENTURY FOX​
GL, Han's actions in this shot are too heartless. Change it.​

GL​
No.​

20th CENTURY FOX​
Fine, then we'll change it for you. (to O.S.) Let's get some crappy digital on this wide angle. Make sure Harry's head looks like it broke off as he ducks an impossible miss from three feet away.​

FX DEPARTMENT​
Couldn't we rebuild the shot in live action? Greedo suit, smoke. Off Han's "Yes, I'll be you have," make Greedo pull some threatening move that provokes Han to blast him on reflex?​

GL​
That's a good idea. Let's do that.​

20th CENTURY FOX​
Nope. Too late to negotiate. Time is money. Move along. Move along.
CUT TO

DESERT - KOTCS MOVIE SET - DAY
GL strides from his car wearing a defiant HAN SHOT FIRST T-SHIRT.

Tada! As it stands, he seems to be standing in defiance of his own decision (unlikely)...so...apology?

Hmmm...it could have been a dare.

Last edited by a moderator:

Stoo

Walton said:
GL's talking like he's someone's whiny apprentice for crying out loud. "My master demands a new movie once every 3 to 5 years.
I agree with the 2nd poster. If anything is pointless, it's this thread.:gun:

(Plus, I wouldn't say that "Skull" was pointless. There were clues that pointed the way to Akator
and there were spikes at the the bottom of the staircase trap. Those were kind of pointy.:p)

CasualJeff

Walton, you are nitpicking to an alarming degree. Are you telling me you've never used the term "might" in reference to a sure thing, in a casual conversation?

Example--just earlier today, my son asked if we could go to the pool. It had just rained, so I told him "I think it might be a little too wet to go to the pool right now".

...well, there's no "might" about it, because it definitely IS too wet to go to the pool. But I say might, because that's just the way I end up phrasing things in casual conversation. I don't see a problem here.

As for the "Han Shot First" shirt, he probably saw the shirt and thought it was funny. He seems to have a sense of humor about his mistakes(he jokes about Jar Jar's unpopularity from time to time, at least).

nevsky41

why do i feel like i'm the only person who hangs out on these forums who actually LIKED Indy 4? I thought it was fun, a nice advancement to the character, and feel like it's being unfairly bashed by a lot of people on here who just fall into the internet stereotype of some loser in his parents' basement *****ign and whining all day. If you didnt like the movie, fine, but quit griping.