Land on the moon

vaxer

Moderator Emeritus
I often read the news on slashdot and even thought lots people post comments on computer science/general science news I don't see a forum (I might have not looked hard enough). Rating users while they dicuss such subjects is fine (because unless you're a diehard geek your not gonna get emotionaly involved in a computer science discussion) but when we come to burning issues like world politics people are systematically going to give the worst karma to the those that are giving them a hard time. I wouldn't want people to get bad karma just because they stated an opinion that strays from the majority's consensus of what is right/good. Nobody is completly objective.

Last edited:
"Notice that the strongest among us don't post in any of those threads"

They way I see it, it's exactlythe other way around... it's the strongest who are posting...

Jay R. Zay

yes, disregarding some mental weakness - but all in all, it's not such a "strong" behavior to avoid trouble whereever possible, is it? so if you say that the off topic forums can get you into trouble and the strong ones keep out of it, what does "strong" mean then? obviously not a strong character and i don't see any connection to physical strength - so how can avoiding all complications be a sign for strength? i think discussions live by different opinions and sometimes they die by them - but as long as you stay "behind glass" in the same areas where everybody can at least agree on the line "i like indiana jones", you might never find out how it feels to meet other opinions.

Paden

That?s a compelling thought, actually. I suppose if you aren?t willing to experience some opposition to your own views, it might well demonstrate that you aren?t that secure in them in the first place. I?ve heard healthy debate equated to physical exercise. Just as muscles grow through the regular application of resistance, so does the intellect.

As to the moon issue, I think I?m going to end up echoing what has already been stated on this subject. Personally, I look at the 1969 moon landing in terms of American jurisprudence. If I?m honestly objective about the matter, based on the facts that I am aware of, it does not meet the criteria required for conviction in an American criminal court, i.e. ?beyond a reasonable doubt?. There are enough questions, with varying degrees of merit, which cast some doubt on the issue: sufficient doubt where one cannot say that they are absolutely certain that the event occurred. On the other hand, I think the evidence that does exist could pass muster in a civil litigation, where the burden of proof rests on the preponderance of the evidence, i.e. the majority of the evidence. In my mind, the preponderance of the existing evidence does indicate that U.S. landing on the moon occurred in 1969. Frankly, with regards to this particular issue, I?m content with that level of certainty.

Flasha_tasha

indifan101 said:
Anything NASA I'm interested in! I hope one day to work for them! :)

Cool...how ya gonna do that? Just out of interest. Would be amazing to go up into space and see the earth from above, its so beautiful.

indifan101

Flasha_tasha said:
Cool...how ya gonna do that? Just out of interest. Would be amazing to go up into space and see the earth from above, its so beautiful.

Well if get all A's in Science and Physicis I may have a future with them. And yes it is a beautiful site to see the Earth form space! :D

roundshort said:
If you Belive . . .
I know Niel Armstrong prety well we were there and the Russians never had the technology they could have gotten a man ont he moon but never off
No. Their program was just cancelled because of cost, not because of lacking technology.

roundshort said:
Jay, I have to ask, did your mother have any kids that lived? or did hte best part just end up as a stain on the sheets?

really this is a fun site where people share ideas, thoughts, humor (I know that is painful for you), why are such a j/o,
but if I was named for a rapper, well what can I say, indifan, keep up the cool threads and posts, I got your back, and as a Marine, that means a lot!
The thread starter obviously wanted a discussion. If you don't like it, leave.

indifan101 said:
Everyone saw it! The rocket launched, the command module orbited the moon and the lunar module landed on the moon! The landing was real! Here are some reasons!

1. The flag is not waving.
2. The rocket launched into space and came back!
3. The command module returned to earth!
1. It's pretty easy to get a flag to not wave in any odd room with no wind.
2. What came back was only the apollo Command module. If it had only flown a circumlunar flight, into high earth orbit or even low earth orbit, you would not have been able to tell the difference.
3. See point 2.
indifan101 said:
It was not a hoax! It was real!
Probably, but your comments are hardly evidence.

Last edited by a moderator:

indy34

Like I said before the 2 best pieces of evidence
1) The secret is way to hard to keep a secret like that because you have thousands of people working on the project all over the world!
2) They landed on the moon on Apollo 11, 12, 14, 15, 16 and 17 why did they go 6 times by Apollo 17 people had mostly lost interest in the Apollo missions so there was no need to stage it 6 times!

indy34

indifan101 said:
How about this for evidence? moon rocks?:rolleyes: plus lets not forget carbonite testing evidence. We went to the moon
And the fact that they traded samples with the Russians and they were proved to be formed in a completely airless environment.
But people will probably argue "oh but they could have sent a probe":rolleyes:

Finn

Staff member
Several posts in a row, serious case of thread revival... Von Stalheim, is this your first time on an Internet forum?

<small>Seriously, how would you feel if somebody just walked up to you and started picking on you for something you said four years ago and have then promptly forgotten?</small>

indy34 said:
Like I said before the 2 best pieces of evidence
1) The secret is way to hard to keep a secret like that because you have thousands of people working on the project all over the world!
2) They landed on the moon on Apollo 11, 12, 14, 15, 16 and 17 why did they go 6 times by Apollo 17 people had mostly lost interest in the Apollo missions so there was no need to stage it 6 times!
Even though neither of these points constitute evidence, they do make a compelling argument.

indy34 said:
And the fact that they traded samples with the Russians and they were proved to be formed in a completely airless environment.
But people will probably argue "oh but they could have sent a probe":rolleyes:
Which would mean that not only would they have had to fake the landing, they would have made a real (robotic) landing and earth-return that nobody knew about.
Finn said:
Several posts in a row, serious case of thread revival... Von Stalheim, is this your first time on an Internet forum?

Finn said:
<small>Seriously, how would you feel if somebody just walked up to you and started picking on you for something you said four years ago and have then promptly forgotten?</small>
I would probably not care at all. Nobody is coercing anybody to read and post in said thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Finn

Staff member
Von Stalhein said:
I would probably not care at all. Nobody is coercing anybody to read and post in said thread.
Personally, I don't care either. Unfortunately, it's my job on this forum to care. It's just not good netiquette. Especially since you didn't exactly bring anything new to the thread. For example, telling a guy "if you don't like it, leave" four years after the original argument is a major case of beating a dead horse.

Goonie

I watched Capricorn One. Sure it's about a faked Mars mission, but the real question I've been pondering since watching it is... did OJ do it?:rolleyes:

Haven't watched that movie in awhile. Gonna have to watch it again one of these days.

As far as the moon landing goes. Sure they did it. Saw one of the rocks they brought back. Now the big question is when they go back in a few years, what about all that space junk floating around the Earth that they are going to have to fly through. It's gonna make the future missions much more dangerous than the past ones.