TheRaider.net

Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Globe-trotting
User Name
Password

Old 05-09-2008, 04:32 PM   #51
Michael24
IndyFan

Good luck.

I haven't been on an airplane since I was about 16 months old or so (no memory of it, of course). I've always been hesistant to fly. I'm not particularly afraid of heights or anything, so I guess it's the fear of crashing more than anything else. (When I was little, I actually had a fear of being hijacked, which came back a little after 9/11.) I've always thought, "Just knowing my luck, the first time I finally get on a plane after all these years, something bad will just happen to occur on my flight." But I received an invite to visit England this summer with a friend, so if I'm able to square away the money issues, I guess I'll have to just grit my teeth and deal with it in order to make the trip. Maybe I can have them knock me out beforehand like they always did to Mr. T on The A-Team.
Michael24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 04:34 PM   #52
The_Raiders
IndyFan

I'v flown several times before, one time the night before one of our planes took off my mom made us watch a movie about, yep, a plane crash. Iacually enjoy flying, just not for too long, then it's boring. it's the air port stuff I don't like too confusing
The_Raiders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #53
~KAT~
IndyFan

I love flying! I go on long 6+ hour trips, sometimes. I usually sleep most of the time. I have flown from San Francisco to Florida, Mexico, and NEw York. Sadly, no where else. I have also been flying alone since I was 10, or so.

The only thing that bugs me are the leg cramps....
~KAT~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 11:46 PM   #54
Lord_glavin
IndyFan

well I've got another one of my NZ --> USA trips coming up

4 hours here to sydney
14 HOURS sydney to San Fran
and then another 6 or so hours to boston
then 4 hour drive

+ waiting in airports

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
jeeeeeeeeet laaaaaaggggggggg

also, this will prolly be one of my last trips, gas prices do take their toll
Europe keeps sounding better than NZ everyday
Lord_glavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 02:43 AM   #55
indy93
IndyFan

I love flying!!!!! i am really into aeroplanes and aircraft recogniton. In fact im going flying on saturday to do aerobatics and stuff.
indy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 06:03 AM   #56
indy93
IndyFan

here is a picture of the grob G115e tutor the aircraft im going flying in.
indy93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 05:07 PM   #57
Horchata
IndyFan

I fly usually twice a week, and very rarely have scares. Ironically the last flight I was on began taking off, the front lifted up, then immediatly went back down. The pilot came on and told us the fuel pump in engine one went out right when we lifted up. So lucky me, I got to sit on a plane on the runway for 3 hours.
Horchata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 01:56 AM   #58
Indy Pendant
IndyFan

I'm totally afraid of flying but I put up with it because I love to travel. I think I last flew in October. I always manage to fall asleep when the pilot announces that we're starting our descent; that'll be a problem if I ever fly to Europe again.
Indy Pendant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 07:26 PM   #59
RyuX13
IndyFan

I've only been up in the sky three times (four if you count parasailing) and I had a blast every time! Third time I flew I actually got to fly the plane..that was pretty exciting.
RyuX13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:36 PM   #60
mutt willams
IndyFan

im not afraid, i just hate landing
mutt willams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 03:43 AM   #61
muttjones
IndyFan

Location: Australia (The only place Indy hasn't visited yet!)
i love flying!!!
muttjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:25 AM   #62
Coronado
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by herr gruber
Is anybody here afraid of flying? Everytime I go near an aeroplane I start to sweat, tremble and am prone to flatulence. The only time I would feel safe is if Charlton Heston were in the cockpit. Turbulence is the thing that shakes me up, literally. Perhaps the question shouldn't be 'Are you afraid of flying', rather, 'Are you afraid of crashing?'

I love flying! Being above the clouds is one of my most favourite things. Sometimes I even cry because I'm so happy (yeah weird I know)!

I empathise though, herr gruber (except maybe about the flatulence). We all have our fears!

-Coronado
Coronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:29 AM   #63
Coronado
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy Pendant
I always manage to fall asleep when the pilot announces that we're starting our descent; that'll be a problem if I ever fly to Europe again.

That happens a lot - it's the compression change, it actually puts you to sleep. I much prefer that to the searing pain I sometimes get in my ears!

-Coronado
Coronado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:11 PM   #64
Jonesy9906753
IndyFan

Indy

i would never fly a plane if indy was in control of it,because he cannot land
Jonesy9906753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #65
indyswk
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy9906753
i would never fly a plane if indy was in control of it,because he cannot land

In ToD, he didn't know how to fly; but by LC he took flying lessons, just short of landing. Most likely he'd have known how to takeoff & land and probably do loop-to-loops by CS.

Anyways, I'm fortunate enough to fly virtually every year, but from where I'm from, the monsoon seasons are especially wet, and thunderstorms can come and go every now and then out of nowhere, making flights delay or just taking off quickly before getting caught in it. And it gets a bit hairy flying through REALLY wet weather, you sometimes wonder how the engines are able to take in so much water without flaming out.... but thanks to these wonderful engineers, they work fine!

As with most people on here, I'm comfortable with air travel, but it's the airports and transits that is the worst part of air travel.
indyswk is offline   Reply With Quote