Go Back   The Raven > Off Topic > Films
User Name
Password

Old 04-22-2018, 01:39 AM   #51
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by roundshort
I wonder if this movie is a success if Disney will lock the Rock down to a mega multi-movie deal like Marvel did with Samuel Jackson?

The only problem with that line of thinking is Sam Jackson hasn't fronted any of those Disney-branded pictures. He's appeared in all of them to varying degrees, but not starred. The Rock will want A-list money and starring roles, and I'm not convinced Disney will want to invest that kind of capital. Multiple Jungle Cruise pictures? Sure, but not the kind of first look deal The Rock may think he's owed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curmudgeon
Edgar Ramirez joining the cast as a villain "with a conquistador background."

Interesting. I saw him most recently in Gold with Mathew McConnaughey and he certainly looked the part, so I'll be curious to see what this "conquistador background" means exactly. The fact that my thought's immediately go to Treasure Island's Ben Gunn doesn't strike me with confidence.

Quote:
In addition, Jack Whitehall has been cast as the brother to Emily Blunt's character. I don't know if that confirms the casting breakdown or not.

The article seems to indicate that The Rock is related to Emily Blunt's character as well. Though, that's probably a bad job by the editor. Assuming they even have editors.

I hadn't heard of Jack Whitehall until recently, but that Travels With My Father series he did for Netflix was rather amusing. Fingers crossed that he isn't a spiritual successor to John Hannah in The Mummy.

The Hollywood Reporter announced the addition of Jesse Plemmons to the cast a couple of days ago. If he heads the German addition then that announcement probably rounds out the principle cast. If he's just a flunkie, there might be another casting announcement; otherwise, all that's left to fill are supporting roles.

We'll see!

Quote:
The article also mentions... (drumroll, please) ...an Amazon setting for the film!

I don't think I've ever been this disappointed at being right!
Le Saboteur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 06:58 PM   #52
curmudgeon
IndyFan

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/he...cruise-1099013

Paul Giamatti joining the cast as a crusty harbormaster. Another solid choice, although I suspect it's only a small role.
curmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 08:46 PM   #53
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Possible precedent?

(Just kidding -- seriously, good casting choice)
Joe Brody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 10:57 PM   #54
Pale Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Brody

Possible precedent?

(Just kidding -- seriously, good casting choice)

Clever, very clever. With Paul it could go either way.
Pale Horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2018, 01:41 AM   #55
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Reel News Hawaii

The kind folks over at Reel News Hawaii have provided a slightly closer look at the massive set Disney has constructed for the flick. If you zoom in on the building with the arcade it looks very much like the bazaar in Disneyland's Adventureland. Not sure if that enclosed courtyard is attached via staircase or not from this angle.

Jungle Cruise Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pale Horse
Clever, very clever. With Paul it could go either way.

Wrong continent, but perhaps more importantly -- too posh, too clean. I don't know why, but I immediately went to his character in The Illusionist with the pipe and beard, but crossed with, say, Dutchy from Only Angels Have Wings.

Above as he is below.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:02 AM   #56
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Morrison
"I mean I've got to say, I'm incredibly excited about the whole thing, it's really like Dwayne is in a new Indiana Jones film. It's Dwayne at his best, and that is a man with some severe charisma. And then we're putting him on this huge adventure, and they've just literally announced the female lead in the picture is Emily Blunt. So, we're really excited. We start principal photography ... well I'll probably blink and we'll be doing principal photography, but we are in prep right now. And that's going to be a very fun film."

Full article: Jungle Cruise is Like Dwayne Johnson Is In An Indiana Jones Film

But more importantly, we appear to have an official date when principal photography will begin: 21 May 2018. Filming was supposed to begin on the 14th, but there's been a spate of rain that has held things up. I for one am looking forward to the first images they invariably release from the set.

Why is he signing what looks to be four(!) separate contracts? That seems like an absurdly large contract.

A post shared by therock (@therock) on

Old 05-17-2018, 08:14 PM   #57
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Very cool -- thanks for posting, I would not have seen that otherwise.

I liked how genuine Johnson is in the clip, the pledge to make a movie that doesn't suck -- and especially the shout out to Walt Disney.

As for the contracts, my guess is two originals for him and two for Disney (with one of Johnson's originals going to his agent and the other to his lawyer)(and one of Disney's copies going to their records retention vault and maybe the other going to outside counsel if they used outside counsel to help negotiate the deal, and if not both to the vault).

As for the length, I assume its a multi-picture deal and I assume he got some producer's rights -- so I assume there are actually a small bundle of agreements in each stack of documents. And I'm sure a lot of the pages are schedules with details on the deal. (half-jokingly) Based on the protein and stuff on the shelves in the background, I wouldn't be surprised if he has very particular demands about what he wants on set and details about his expectations about filming (I'm thinking of this issues with Vin on the Fast and Furious shoots).

I'm surprised the contracts are paper with wet signatures. Most of Corporate America has gone (or is going) to DocuSign (along with the mortgage industry), except in countries where you need a chop (China) or a power of attorney (like Mexico).
Old 05-20-2018, 04:40 AM   #58
Le Saboteur
IndyFan

Quote:
Very cool -- thanks for posting, I would not have seen that otherwise.

Quote:
As for the length, I assume its a multi-picture deal and I assume he got some producer's rights -- so I assume there are actually a small bundle of agreements in each stack of documents.

Producer's rights would be interesting. I do know that he has some sort of advertising deal. Something somewhere said he got around three-million bucks to promote his flicks through his social media accounts.

Quickly:

Not the Hotel California

Swiped from Twitter. This building is being billed as the "hotel", and appears to be the biggest set Disney has constructed at the Kapaia Reservoir on Kauai. It reminds me of the bazaar in the original Adventureland with a touch of the town on Pirates of the Caribbean. An open casting call went out in March looking for "characters", fishermen/women, basket weavers, dock workers, restaurant workers, show owners, craftsmen/women, international travelers and villager types.
Old 05-20-2018, 08:16 AM   #59
Joe Brody
IndyFan

Fantastic picture.

Given the size, scale and depth of the set, I wonder it this means the films will be shot with Imax and/or other large format cameras (65mm & 70mm). If so, that would be incredible and, for me, a very good indicator that the film will be special.

[In the lower left, I wonder if that is a floating diving -- or in this case a floating filming -- platform?]