Cary Grant

Kumba

I'm a Hitchcock fan, and does anyone notice how Cary Grant is in A LOT of Hitchcock's films. I also saw this other movie called "Charade" (sp?) last Friday. Great movie. You should see it. All about espiange and counter-intelligence. Well sorta. You understand when you see it.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Yeah, Hitchcock did use Cary Grant quite a bit. It was nothing on the level of Ford's work with Fonda and Wayne, but quite a few films. The ones I can think of are Notorious, To Catch a Thief, North by Northwest...hmm, I know there are more, but that's all I can think of. I kind of think Jimmy Stewart was a better collaborator for Hitchcock, though, because of they way he played with his nice guy image...what do you think?

Howard Hawks, on the other hand...Cary Grant was perfect for him, I think.

Kumba, my friend...favorite Hitchcock film? Favorite Cary Grant film?

I have to go with Strangers on a Train for Hitch, and Bringing Up Baby for Cary...what do you think?

Kumba

oOo, that's a hard one. For hitch, it's a tie between Marnie and Strangers on a Train. For Cary, North by Northwest, although i've only seen cary in a few films so far, but i think he is very talented. Movies from the past have much better acting because the films had to rely on story telling instead of special effects, which many movies are plauged with today. In fact, just today I watched The Core, and it had TERRIBLE acting. That movie was flawwed from the beginning anyway from its association with armegeddon.

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Hmm...another Strangers on a Train fan...you don't run into too many of those...though I seem to recall some other people on the board mentioning it as well. How about a little in-depth conversation on that? Anyone up for it? ;)

Kumba

Yeah, sure. I rented the dvd of it, and apparently on the B-side of the dvd, there was the alternate British version. I watched the American version but never did see the British one. I read on the back of the dvd case that the british one shows off the homosexuality of that crazy dude, and also said it was more suspensful or something. Seen it?

00Kevin

Indyfan
I saw 'North by Northwest' and loved it! great suspenseful film great demanding music, good plot, an all around good film.

"they say I live too dull a life" hahaha

well, If you guys have any sugestion for cary grant films I would like, please tell me ;)

Attila the Professor

Staff member
Renderking Fisk said:
Folks, you need to get a copy of "For Whom the Bell Tolls".

Ren, wasn't Coop was in that one? And I thought it was directed by...was it Vidor? Hawks? Nah, who was it? I know it wasn't Hitch...or Ford, for that matter. Um...Sam Wood! That's who it was! Started during the silent era, as I recall, did a couple of the better Marx Brothers picture, and some great studio era classics, including Goodbye, Mr. Chips, some of Gone With the Wind, and my personal favorite baseball movie, Pride of the Yankees, starring Coop once again.

Sorry, I digress. Why do we need to get a copy of "For Whom the Bell Tolls"? Or do you mean the book? I have a copy of that, haven't gotten around to reading it yet though.

Joe Brody

Robert Jordan

. . . . there may not be a Great American Novel, but I'd go to the mat arguing that Robert Jordan in 'For Whom The Bell Tolls' is the Great American Hero. I know that sounds really, really, lame, but he is one stoic, principled, can-do, hombre.

As for Hitchkock and Cary Grant, I watch 'North by Northwest strictly for the blond -- and Cary Grant's suit, which puts in one of the all-time great performances by a garment in a supporting role.

IndyBeck

Kumba said:
I also saw this other movie called "Charade" (sp?) last Friday. Great movie. You should see it. All about espiange and counter-intelligence. Well sorta. You understand when you see it.

Oh, I love that one. It's really Hitchcock-esque. And I don't know any other movie with so many great twists.

It's a shame that the DVD has the poorest quality of any disc I've ever seen (Full Scree, grainy, etc...). But nevertheless it'sone of my favourite movies, and it has Audrey Hepburn!

Andre

Joe Brody

Robert Jordan Garb

This is a stupid point but it's always rankled me.

In the novel, my recollection is that Robert Jordan wore rope soled sandals like the rest of the peasants. Why an American demolitions expert would go out into the field with shoes like that (but otherwise dressed as an American) never made sense to me.