Indy 4 Lovers Thread

I saw the film 3 times in the theater and cant wait for the dvd. belloq36's analogy of the yankees and their fans was dead on, its also interesting how home theater tends to be the launching pad for cult favorites considered by some as not really mainstream but with having a massive underground fan base who like the film so much they could watch it every night,like Ive been known to do with Raiders. I think once Crystal Skull is out on dvd it will get more respect like the previous two did, once they came out on vhs and people had time to absorb what they thought was a new Indy (much like the naysayers are doing now) the two films became cinematic cult legends.;)

Darth Vile

ninepinejones said:
I saw the film 3 times in the theater and cant wait for the dvd. belloq36's analogy of the yankees and their fans was dead on, its also interesting how home theater tends to be the launching pad for cult favorites considered by some as not really mainstream but with having a massive underground fan base who like the film so much they could watch it every night,like Ive been known to do with Raiders. I think once Crystal Skull is out on dvd it will get more respect like the previous two did, once they came out on vhs and people had time to absorb what they thought was a new Indy (much like the naysayers are doing now) the two films became cinematic cult legends.;)

I think you are correct. Also, what else it demonstrates (this doesn't of course apply to everyone), is that no matter how some maintain their dislike for KOTCS, they are still willing to re-watch it over and over (and give it multiple chances). And it's this action, as you highlight, which will lead a fair proportion of those (who don’t like the movie) to revise their initial thoughts... And they will think, on reflection… "It’s not that bad after all".

AtomicAge

Mickiana said:
Lead does stop radiation, how well I don't know, but realistically the heat from the blast wave should have cooked Indy inside what would have been turned into a big oven.

Actually this is not true at all. There were survivors in Hiroshima who got no burns at all just because they were standing behind a wooden fence, while someone standing very near them but unprotected by a fence were horribly burned. The heat from a somewhat low yield atomic bomb is actually fairly short duration.

Lead actually prevents the passage of gamma and x-rays, meaning that a lead lined fridge would prevent Jones from getting a massive dosage of radiation that would kill him in 2 or 3 weeks. The fridge would also protect him from what would be by far the most dangerous thing at that range, flying objects. The fact that he is fairly tightly crammed into the fridge might also prevent him from being killed by being thrown a great distance, but I suspect he would at lest have some broken bones.

Again I must state that these test "towns" were never build right at ground zero, but normally were half to a full mile away. It was not uncommon in atomic tests to have army personnel in open trenches less than a mile from ground zero with no short term effects at all.

Doug

Last edited:

Major West

I only saw the film once at the cinema, and liked it, but not loved it. I've watched the Blu-ray about 4 times now since Saturday and I really love the film now.

I think many people that think the film was just OK, will watch it a few more times and start to like it more. Assuming they didn't hate it in the first place. I feel sorry for some people that seem to have a few irrational obstacles about the film that can't get past.

arkfinder

To me IV is miles better than "Temple of Doom." It's a great film and there was zero that bothered me. One or two things I would have left out (like the whole space between space line) but on the whole I really like the film.

kongisking

lilp1976 said:
From the height that they fell from that plane you'd still die a horrible death, so it doesn't really matter. Ideally, i'd get blasted by a nuclear bomb when hiding in a fridge with a dinghy to cushion the landing. :gun:

For those with fear of heights (like me!:eek: ) DEFINITELY the fridge!!!

Last edited:
Shia talks about Indy 4

Just so you know, i am half monkey. that completely explains how i can swing through the jungle on vines. That is also the reason that the monkeys followed me. I also went to a school on how to swordfight between two moving cars while being continuously hit in the testicles with plants. I graduated with full medals. I am also so gay that i need to continuously run a comb through my hair. By the way, Megan, i want you to take me back. I also hope there will be a transformers 2 so i can reclaim my career. And just so you know, i like working with elderly men like Harrison Ford. It makes total sense that he could be my father, considering our 40 year age difference.

Sincerely,
Shia Lebouf

The Man

IndyJess said:
Just so you know, i am half monkey. that completely explains how i can swing through the jungle on vines. That is also the reason that the monkeys followed me. I also went to a school on how to swordfight between two moving cars while being continuously hit in the testicles with plants. I graduated with full medals. I am also so gay that i need to continuously run a comb through my hair. By the way, Megan, i want you to take me back. I also hope there will be a transformers 2 so i can reclaim my career. And just so you know, i like working with elderly men like Harrison Ford. It makes total sense that he could be my father, considerzing our 40 year age difference.

Sincerely,
Shia Lebouf

Honesty is all we demand...

The Man

AtomicAge said:
I thought this was the Indy 4 lovers thread? What are the likes of Jess and The Man doing here?

Doug

We come here on occasion to observe and study love...

RedeemedChild

Despite The Flack, Who Loves It?

While Kingdom of the Crystal Skull have it's many blunders all in all it still is Indiana Jones nonetheless. So what gives?

In spite of it's flack I still find it an enjoyable movie as I know we might never ever get another Indiana Jones movie that is unless the next film is a prequel that would take place sometime between The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles and the thunderous events of Raiders of the Lost Ark.

One of my favorite sequences in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull is the graveyard fight with Mutt and Indiana as they wack the zombie like thugs with shovels.

My other all time favorite scene is the nuclear wipe with Indy escaping in a refrigerator which I sometimes wonder if that was a shout out to folks escaping death in escape pods in Star Wars as escape pods and fudges aren't very far apart.

Plus, I love this movie because it was just so awesome in many ways. I mean, a crystal alien skull from outta this world? Man! How awesome is that? And Irina Spalko is simply downright cool!

So what do you guys find likable in Kingdom of the Crystal Skull?

The Drifter

Oh wow! I've never seen this type of thread before!
But, to answer your question; I don't love it. I don't hate it either. I explained my opinion on the film in some other thread around here.

The Man

Hating this movie? "Not as easy as it used to be."

A casually entertaining, even endearing disappointment.

Wish I could expand further, but I'm due back in the 'Films' folder...;)