The Frank Darabont Script

Professor Jones

torao said:
I don't remember anybody calling this a "rush job".

I think Commontone referred to those who say that this movie could be put up in some rush because Harrison was getting too old. I've read such an opinion in other threads of The Raven, but I cannot remember which.

Of course the main objection to that perspective was, and I agree, that the movie is being done now not because of Harrison's age but JUST because they've waited 20 years to make it perfect. So me neither I would define it "rushed".

torao

Moderator Emeritus
Professor Jones said:
I think Commontone referred to those who say that this movie could be put up in some rush because Harrison was getting too old. I've read such an opinion in other threads of The Raven, but I cannot remember which.

Of course the main objection to that perspective was, and I agree, that the movie is being done now not because of Harrison's age but JUST because they've waited 20 years to make it perfect. So me neither I would define it "rushed".

We should make it an obligation for every new "Ravener" to read the Indy IV news archives. ;) These times of sheer endless development hell were really insane.
I especially recommend years 2002 - 2004.

commontone

torao said:
I don't think anybody here knows to what extent he was completing it, touching it up or starting something new.

Check the "Trivia" section of Indy IV on this site. We don't know to what extent but we do know that what Darabont started was handed to Nathanson.

Some people called it a rush job because of Harrison's ultimatum, where he said if it didn't get made by 2008 (? guessing) they should just forget about an Indy IV. As if, after that, they took what was a shoddy script and said, "Well, it's now or never, can't worry about how good the screenplay is."

I think Harrison was wise to do that, and knew it would create a lot of movement. It was his way of saying, "Look, the script has been worked on for years now, and we all like some of it, or a lot of it. Stop *****footing around and do what you gotta do to make this thing fly--you have x amount of time, or just forget about it."

torao

Moderator Emeritus
commontone said:
Check the "Trivia" section of Indy IV on this site. We don't know to what extent but we do know that what Darabont started was handed to Nathanson.

Yeah, that seems to be the case. :)

Sankara

@zorg
Yes, Koepp said he didn't want to do a fanboy script. Let's hope there is no son of Indy in the script - becaus this is a very lame fanboylike-Idea.

joelwatts

commontone said:
"Look, the script has been worked on for years now, and we all like some of it, or a lot of it. Stop *****footing around ....QUOTE]

Since when is *****footing a bad word worthy of deletion?

commontone

It is a word that can be used to refer to a cat, among other things.

I never thought "cat"footing was a bad word, I thought it referred to the indecisive nature of cats.

Finn

Staff member
I'm no expert, but I'd guess it's got something to do with the dual meaning of that particular string of letters.

"Kitty" isn't forbidden, for example.

Kingsley

Sankara said:
@zorg
Yes, Koepp said he didn't want to do a fanboy script. Let's hope there is no son of Indy in the script - becaus this is a very lame fanboylike-Idea.
Koepp was closing a story, if an Indy son was part of that story I doubt he couldn´t do anything to change that. But I don´t think about it as a fanboylike idea. It can work if it is proerly treated.

snake_surprise

Sankara said:
Darabont said he didn't put Shia's Character into the script...

Let's pray....

Right. This has Lucas' fingerprints all over it. I hope it will work, I do like Shia, but let's pray this is not the Jar Jar Binks character of the Indy saga that Lucas throw in to appeal to the kids/teenagers. Ugh.

oki9Sedo

snake_surprise said:
Right. This has Lucas' fingerprints all over it. I hope it will work, I do like Shia, but let's pray this is not the Jar Jar Binks character of the Indy saga that Lucas throw in to appeal to the kids/teenagers. Ugh.

Indiana Jones, old or not, is the character that will appeal to kids/teenagers.

I'm only hoping Shia's character won't be Indy's son... I still don't like at all the idea of Indy having a son. I've always seen him as a James Bond-like character, a great hero who lives epic stories of passion but doesn't actually have time for a family... even if the years have passed...

snake_surprise

oki9Sedo said:
Indiana Jones, old or not, is the character that will appeal to kids/teenagers.
We would all like to think so.

Believe it or not, several of my past students (High School and Junior High) have never seen an Indiana Jones movie. Some have knowledge of the character, that's it.

oki9Sedo

snake_surprise said:
We would all like to think so.

Believe it or not, several of my past students (High School and Junior High) have never seen an Indiana Jones movie. Some have knowledge of the character, that's it.

In fairness, I don't think the Shia Le Boeuf character is just there to bring in a younger audience. I'm sure thats part of it, but Indy having a son is a natural progression from the last film (if he does play his son).

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
I won't be satisfied until both Darabont scripts leak.
Frank, choose which Hollywood Starbucks to 'forget' them at next summer.

commontone

Well, they chose to announce the title on MTV, and George has talked to MTV a few times. They seem to be targeting a younger audience.

But that only makes sense. I'm in my late 20s, just past the typical MTV crowd, and I grew up with the films (even though I only could see LC in the theatre). So for everyone my age and older, Indy is already ingrained in our social consciousness as a classic character. We don't need an aggressive marketing campaign, just being made aware that the film exists will be enough for most.

The younger people might need more than that...a lot of them might be familiar with the films, but there are probably many for whom Indy is a vague character from "those 80s movies". They need not only awareness, but something to draw them in to what is essentially a new endeavor for them.

I'd like to think the idea of introducing Indy's son was independent from marketing ideas, but once that was on the table, it would only be smart to choose an up-and-coming young actor who is recognizable to the MTV crowd. There will always be haters but I think Shia does have his own special talent going on, to boot. And honestly, I can't think of any other young actors who would really fit the bill (except maybe Emile Hirsch).

If it gets younger people watching the original trilogy, who can complain about that?

seasider

The interest in Indy for kids depends on a lot on whether or not their parents are fans of the movies. That's where the exposure will come from if they're ever going to see the new movie. I know several kids who like the movies and others who have no interest in it. If the movie rocks, everybody will see it eventually.