The Phantom (1996 Film)

Raiders90

Hey

I vaguely recall this movie from childhood--It was a superhero or adventure type movie I believe, and I remember at one point the character was either shot or stabbed, and somewhere near the end he discovers some sort of library or something where he learns he is not the first hero to use that name and identity, something along those lines, but only one of many that have come before him. Or that it was his father or someone who used that hero identity before him. I can't remember exactly but I remember the hero in a library or secret lair sort of place. It was quest revolving around an artifact I think.
Anyone have any idea what movie this might be?

Last edited:

adventure_al

Can't think what it is myself. If you don't mind me asking what age are you? Or roughly when do you think the film was made?

Raiders90

adventure_al said:
Can't think what it is myself. If you don't mind me asking what age are you? Or roughly when do you think the film was made?

I was roughly between 5 and 9, I'd say. And I think the movie could've been made anywhere between the 50s and 90s. But I'd have to say definately between the 80s and 90s.

Michael24

The closest thing I can think of that sounds similar like that is The Phantom (1996, I believe) with Billy Zane. There's a portion of his secret lair that houses crypts for all the Phantoms that have come before him, including his father, although it's something he knows about. Haven't watched it in awhile, but I believe he does get shot or stabbed at some point, by the same guy who had stabbed and killed his father years before.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Phantom_(film)

Raiders90

Michael24 said:
The closest thing I can think of that sounds similar like that is The Phantom (1996, I believe) with Billy Zane. There's a portion of his secret lair that houses crypts for all the Phantoms that have come before him, including his father, although it's something he knows about. Haven't watched it in awhile, but I believe he does get shot or stabbed at some point, by the same guy who had stabbed and killed his father years before.

YES! That's it. Cause thinking about it, I remember something involving a train, and the villain making snide remarks about killing his father too.

adventure_al

Raiders112390[B said:
]I was roughly between 5 and 9[/B], I'd say. And I think the movie could've been made anywhere between the 50s and 90s. But I'd have to say definately between the 80s and 90s.

I meant what age are you now! so I could try and think what Adventure films would be screening around the time of your childhood :p lol

never mind I'm sure one of the other Raven members will be able to enlighten us.

Michael24

Glad I could help. :)

There's no train in the movie, though, but it does feature the Pan-Am Clipper and a quest for crystal skulls. (Well, really gold, silver, and jade skulls.) It's on DVD. Not a "great" movie, but I like it. A good throw-back to '30s serials, much like The Rocketeer and The Shadow. (y)

adventure_al

Michael24 said:

that sounds cool. Looks a bit cheesy though.

Does anyone know if it is actually worth a watch?

Snakes

It's probably worth a watch if you really like old fashioned pulp adventure films. But it's not that great a movie, The Rocketeer and The Shadow are both better in my opinion.

Michael24

adventure_al said:
that sounds cool. Looks a bit cheesy though.

Does anyone know if it is actually worth a watch?

I suppose it's a bit on the cheesy side if a hero running around in purple tights strikes you as silly, but like I said, I find it entertaining in that '30s serial kind of way. :)

Raiders90

Michael24 said:
Glad I could help. :)

There's no train in the movie, though, but it does feature the Pan-Am Clipper and a quest for crystal skulls. (Well, really gold, silver, and jade skulls.) It's on DVD. Not a "great" movie, but I like it. A good throw-back to '30s serials, much like The Rocketeer and The Shadow. (y)

That's why I said 50s-80s cause I remember it had a classic, Indy esque feel to it. I remember it being very good. I haven't seen it since I was a kid, I'll have to pick it up again. By the way,
not to go off topic but I think this idea should be followed on in Indy. We know Indy's not the first (in the series chronology) to wear the fedora, and even Fedora might not have been the first. It'd be awesome to see who else wore it before Fedora, and after Indy. I'm surprised there's never been fanfiction involving Fedora. Indy's got two key of superhero-esque qualities (the dual identity, the outfit which generally stays the same only slight differences) it'd be cool to see someone carry on in his foot steps.

Raiders90

adventure_al said:
I meant what age are you now! so I could try and think what Adventure films would be screening around the time of your childhood :p lol

never mind I'm sure one of the other Raven members will be able to enlighten us.

I'm 17 turning 18.

adventure_al

Snakes said:
It's probably worth a watch if you really like old fashioned pulp adventure films. But it's not that great a movie, The Rocketeer and The Shadow are both better in my opinion.

Awesome if I see it going cheap I'll buy the DVD. I really like The Rocketeer.

Hovito

I saw the phantom on tv the other day and loved it. i like movies like this like the shadow and rocketeer are there any other films like this? I thought it was abit silly at the end when he took his mask off but the black make up was gone off his eyes.

Michael24

Supposedly there's a new Phantom movie in the works, called The Ghost Who Walks, but it's supposed to be an updated take on the storyline that is set in modern times. I personally don't like that idea. I prefer the pulpy '30s feel like The Phantom had.

Hovito said:
I saw the phantom on tv the other day and loved it. i like movies like this like the shadow and rocketeer are there any other films like this? I thought it was abit silly at the end when he took his mask off but the black make up was gone off his eyes.

That happens in other movies, too, like Batman. I think The Phantom's director, Simon Wincer (a Young Indy alumni), said he realized that would be considered a goof, but knew it'd look silly to see Billy Zane standing there with raccoon eyes. Haha!!

I'm glad you liked it, though, along with The Shadow and The Rocketeer. Not too sure of many others. Maybe The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, which seems to be a "love it or hate it" movie (I personally love it), but is a little more big-budget and flashy than those.

DocWhiskey

The Phantom, The Shadow, and The Rocketeer are some of my favorite childhood films besides Indy. I used to like Darkman too, but upon viewing it again, I really didn't like it.

indytim

DocWhiskey said:
The Phantom, The Shadow, and The Rocketeer are some of my favorite childhood films besides Indy. I used to like Darkman too, but upon viewing it again, I really didn't like it.

I loved The Shadow when it was released and have since owned it on both LaserDisc and DVD. I loved the fact that it didn't take itself too seriously and has some nice comic moments. That said, it was written by a certain David Koepp ... who just so happens to have also penned Indy IV!

Moedred

Administrator
Staff member
Finally saw this. Jeff Boam wrote some great quips for the hero and villain, sadly his last project. The bare-bones blu ray cover tries to make the costume blue, but he's really purple and you just have to get over that. A great looking pre-digital special effects throwback project like The Rocketeer and The Shadow.

Montana Smith

Moedred said:
Finally saw this. Jeff Boam wrote some great quips for the hero and villain, sadly his last project. The bare-bones blu ray cover tries to make the costume blue, but he's really purple and you just have to get over that. A great looking pre-digital special effects throwback project like The Rocketeer and The Shadow.

The Phantom was by far my favourite of those three. The locations were appealing, as was Catherine Zeta-Jones.