The Musketeers

Henry Jones VII

@Le Saboteur

I don't really know the stories of Capitan Alatriste, so I have to ask if the character serves under the Catholic Kings, Fernando y Isabel ?

Le Saboteur

Henry Jones VII said:
I don't really know the stories of Capitan Alatriste, so I have to ask if the character serves under the Catholic Kings, Fernando y Isabel ?

Regrettably, no, their Most Catholic Majesties are nearly a hundred & fifty years dead by the time we catch up with El Capitan. We're in 1632 and a young Phillip IV has ascended the throne amidst The Thirty Years. In other words, the beginning of the end for the Spanish Empire. I haven't finished the last two books available in English, but I think the series edges every so slightly into Charles II's reign before ending.

Iñigo Balboa said:
He was not the most honest or pious of men, but he was courageous. His name was Diego Alatriste y Tenorio, and he had fought in the ranks during the Flemish wars. When I met him he was barely making ends meet in Madrid, hiring himself out for four maravedís in employ of little glory, often as a swordsman for those who had neither the skill nor the daring to settle their own quarrels.

I would encourage you to stop in at your local bookshop. They're bound to have a copy of the first novel at least. Pick it up! Read it! See what you think!

tumblr_nczcet3loe1ro4t7go2_500.jpg

While not a production picture, the above is an encouraging sign. Staging a sword fight on stage or screen is a notoriously difficult thing to believably do. It helps tremendously when an actor knows his mortuary sword from his rapiers, and Aitor Luna spent a couple of months learning how to fight. That's important.

We also got a new teaser focusing on Alatriste and the actress Maria de Castro!

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x2bqck5" allowfullscreen></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2bqck5_alatriste-promo-02_fun" target="_blank">Alatriste Promo 02</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/foromacaesther" target="_blank">foromacaesther</a></i>

And one featuring Father Emile Bocanegra, Head of the Inquisition!

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="270" src="//www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/x2bqae5" allowfullscreen></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2bqae5_alatriste-promo-03_fun" target="_blank">Alatriste Promo 03</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/foromacaesther" target="_blank">foromacaesther</a></i>

Joe Brody said:
...the Battle of the Nile ends with the French fleet sunk by Nelson.

The Battle of the Nile (really Aboukir Bay) was a squadron level engagement consisting of a total of 33 ships. The French van didn't even engage the British owing to a lack of orders and prevailing wind conditions. While nobody is contesting the Royal Navy's success, you're placing far too much emphasis on the importance of the battle for the sole reason that Napoleon and Le Grande Armee d'Orient were unscathed. They were free to proceed at will, and lest you forget, the French had full military and administrative control of Egypt for ~3 years.

Q: When was the last time the French beat the British in a squadron level engagement?
A: Yorktown

I mention this again, because 2015 brings us the 200th Anniversary of Napoleon's final defeat at Waterloo. Some 4,000 reenactors have been engaged for the date thus far including 100 cannon and 300 cavalry!

Official website here.

Le Saboteur

L'homme le Plus Sexy said:
I have yet to see an official release date for Series 2 yet, but there are rumors of a January premiere. Which would make sense. It is the same time that Series 1 aired in Blighty. The series has also made the move to a later 9pm air time that has caused some fan speculation about a shift in tone -- perhaps more violent action and/or sex.

So now it's official. The Beeb will transmit the second season of The Musketeers beginning on January 2nd, 2015! If history bears repeating, then we can expect the series to premiere stateside later next Summer. For now though, check out the teaser trailer that was just released!

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/NrG2_U5HtRw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'll be interested in seeing how that thing Athos mentions is handled, but am quite pleased that we're finally getting the Comte de Rochefort. I'll be especially keen on seeing if they develop the lifelong enmity between Le Comte & d'Artagnan or dispense with it entirely...

And it's a very brief teaser, but I sense a definite shift in tone.

We need a thread for this bad boy too.

brotherhood-of-the-wolf1.jpg

Le Saboteur

While only tangentially related to The Musketeers (Louis XIV inherited both the original unit and Richelieu's Red Guard following Mazzarin's death), but it's worth mentioning that Netflix has picked up the second-window rights to the ten-part series Versailles. The Beeb & France's Canal + dropped about forty million bucks on this production and, man, does it look it.

versailles.jpg

versaillessaison1-episode9.jpg

Trailer!

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cKitLlBgE0k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yes, that's the actual Palace of Versailles. If memory serves, this was the first English language production to be granted permission to film on the grounds.

But getting back to the original topic, Hulu has nabbed the exclusive streaming rights in the US! It's a perfect time to catch up then as all three seasons are currently available on the streaming service!

f49fa11e5a449e4f63dc6d1341d47862.jpg

Unfortunately, the Beeb has axed the series before season three began, so unless Hulu ponies up some cash for a new series, that's all she wrote. Let's see how they manage to wrap it all up. Oddly enough, the final season has just now begun airing in the UK!

Careful with the below video. It does contain some spoilers on the previous seasons.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/b0R1SPFPf0g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Le Saboteur

We have an official air date for Versailles on Ovation: October 1st! Never heard of the channel, but assuming that they get to air the complete run first, then we might have a chance to check this out via Netflix sometime in December!

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/eBNXsMnK34Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

It's proven to be a massive hit in both France & the UK and went into production on a second season before the first even aired! Production just recently wrapped on that season, and will go into production on a third season soonish.

Also of note: Red Eagle: The Movie! Unfortunately Netflix pulled all eight(?) seasons of the teevee series off their streaming service, but have kept the movie.

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2TEJnzKQqRA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

A Spanish ninja? Yep!

Le Saboteur

I do attempt to be clear, but you might want to purchase Alatriste. I don't think Netflix will ever acquire a copy. For that matter, I'm still awaiting solid information on the teevee series. Since the initial trailer, there hasn't been much in the way of news. There have been some pictures from the set, but a premiere date has been lacking.

It's been nearly eight years, but Las Aventuras del Capitan Alatriste is streaming for free on Tubi. Find it here. You may need an account to activate subtitles, however. I've never used the service before.

However, the real reason for resurrecting this thread: the French went back to the well and released Part 1 of a two-part epic adaptation of The Three Musketeers!

I think it hit one theatre in Los Angeles, and that's about it. Fortunately, Samuel Goldwyn Films has put out a Region A Blu-ray, and you can see it on just about every VOD service; e.g., Apple TV or Amazon Prime.

musketeers.jpg

I believe Part the Second already aired on the Continent, but it's due to hit theatres Stateside on April 19th, 2024. It hits VOD the same day too.

Come for the swordplay. Stay for Eva Green mowing through the scenery!

JasonMa

We saw posters for what I now know is Part 2 all over the Metro when we were in Paris the first week of December (Part 2 was released on Dec. 13th in France). I don't speak/read French and didn't pay that close attention to the ads, I thought they were promoting a new stage play of the story!