Secret of the Incas (1954)

James Byrne

Stoo said:
P.S. Just yesterday, a freind of mine sent me a link to your site so I told him that I was already aware of it and that you occasionally post here. Anyway, he was very impressed with your website.:hat:

Its nice to hear Stoo. Tell your friend ... thankyou very much.

James Byrne

Lance Quazar said:
That's terrific. Thanks for bringing the thread back, folks, or I wouldn't have seen it.

I'm enjoying the heck out of the movie.

Yep, SECRET OF THE INCAS is a little treasure, pleased that you've finally seen it.

p.s. any more references to Indiana Jones and Peru anyone?

Lance Quazar

James Byrne said:
Yep, SECRET OF THE INCAS is a little treasure, pleased that you've finally seen it.

p.s. any more references to Indiana Jones and Peru anyone?

I'm making my way slowly through the film, just one segment at a time.

I'm about halfway through and it's just delightful. Really does feel like a "lost" Indy film.

Nicole Maurey is jaw-droppingly gorgeous, though I can't help but think she'd have been more comfortable wearing pants during that long jungle hike to Machu Picchu.

James Byrne

Lance Quazar said:
I'm making my way slowly through the film, just one segment at a time.

I'm about halfway through and it's just delightful. Really does feel like a "lost" Indy film.

Nicole Maurey is jaw-droppingly gorgeous, though I can't help but think she'd have been more comfortable wearing pants during that long jungle hike to Machu Picchu.

Yes Lance, Nicole Maurey looks delicious, doesn't she! Those leading ladies in 1950's jungle movies all seemed to be fiery redheads as well, as if the hero didn't have enough to contend with!

Lance Quazar

James Byrne said:
Yes Lance, Nicole Maurey looks delicious, doesn't she! Those leading ladies in 1950's jungle movies all seemed to be fiery redheads as well, as if the hero didn't have enough to contend with!

Finally finished the movie and I really enjoyed the hell out of it.

Clearly the "grandfather" of Indiana Jones and a terrifically entertaining B movie in its own right.

Thanks for the links, I urge everyone on this board to check it out!

James Byrne

Lance Quazar said:
Finally finished the movie and I really enjoyed the hell out of it.

Clearly the "grandfather" of Indiana Jones and a terrifically entertaining B movie in its own right.

Thanks for the links, I urge everyone on this board to check it out!

Lance, I'm delighted that SECRET OF THE INCAS has gained another admirer to its many qualities and delights. I would actually christen Charlton Heston as the "father" of Indiana Jones though, bearing in mind that there's only 20 years difference between Heston and Harrison Ford.

For those who have not yet seen SECRET OF THE INCAS, you can view it here on my site devoted to this 1954 hidden gem-
http://www.secretoftheincas.co.uk

Stoo

Lance Quazar said:
What did you think of young Mrs. Cunnigham (Marion Ross)?
James Byrne said:
I would actually christen Charlton Heston as the "father" of Indiana Jones though
If he's the "father", then the character, Kay Hoog (played by Carl de Vogt), from Fritz Lang's "Spiders" (1919) is the "great grand-dad".;)

James Byrne

Stoo said:
What did you think of young Mrs. Cunnigham (Marion Ross)?
If he's the "father", then the character, Kay Hoog (played by Carl de Vogt), from Fritz Lang's "Spiders" (1919) is the "great grand-dad".;)

Marion Ross matured into a dishy looking lady in HAPPY DAYS, but in SECRET OF THE INCAS she didn't quite do it for me.

Can you post any pics of Kay Hoog in SPIDERS Stoo? I'd really like to see some. Is the movie any good?

James Byrne said:
Marion Ross matured into a dishy looking lady in HAPPY DAYS, but in SECRET OF THE INCAS she didn't quite do it for me.

Can you post any pics of Kay Hoog in SPIDERS Stoo? I'd really like to see some. Is the movie any good?

cdvbarsa.jpg

http://carldevogt.org/cdvbarsa.jpg

Very cool, Stoo! Thanks for sharing. That was one I wasn't familiar with. Might have to buy it next paycheck. It's fairly affordable on DVDEmpire.com.

James Byrne

Yes, the great grandad of Indy indeed, or maybe a half-cousin of Valentino. Looks a bit like the great Yakima Canutt as well, who did the stunts in STAGECOACH, later recreated so well in RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK.

Stoo

James Byrne said:
Oh, I agree. I just wanted to know if Lance recognized her or not.:)
James Byrne said:
Whether it's good or not is a matter of opinion but I enjoy it. Be warned, though, for a silent movie it is very long (over 2.5 hrs) and it's not all jungle-type adventure. However, since part of it takes place in S.America, it's right up your alley. ("Die Spinnen/Spiders" is actually 2 of 4 parts, The Golden Sea and The Diamond Ship but unfortunately chapters 3 & 4 were never made.)

Will try and post some good screencaps in the next day or two (but I'll be in Italy for a week so it might have to wait until I get back).

ResidentAlien said:
Very cool, Stoo! Thanks for sharing. That was one I wasn't familiar with. Might have to buy it next paycheck.
I'm shocked, Res. Actually most Indy fans don't know about it (or seem to care). I pointed it out back in 2005 after 1st joining The Raven and the only person who was interested (and bought it) was Ska/Skabatula.

What is funny/sad is that a large number of Indy fans bandied about the references to "Secret of the Incas" and "The Naked Jungle" without ever having seen them. Now, thanks to James' uploads, they can actually watch "Incas and not come across like a flock of parrots.:p

James Byrne said:
Yes, the great grandad of Indy indeed
Wait until you see some more images!

James Byrne

Marion was PRETTY in 1954, but ....

Stoo
Regarding Marion Ross in SECRET OF THE INCAS. Marion was a playing a frumpy character called Miss Morris who is there solely to show us what a tight fisted heel Harry Steele is. I wrote to Marion Ross and she replied telling me that Heston kissing her like that wasn't in the script. No wonder she looked so surprised.
By the way, Marion Ross was very pretty in those days, the make up guys made her look like a frump in character for the role.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/X33ActK3gT8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/X33ActK3gT8&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Stoo

Hi, James. Most likely because Harrison Ford doesn't wear one in the films (although he does have one in "Mystery of the Blues"). If Harrison Ford *did* wear a scarf in any of the movies, all the gearheads would have a 'screen accurate' one.:p

P.S. When you get my DVD, be sure to post a review in this thread: Valley of the Kings Movie (1954)

James Byrne

Thanks Stoo

Hey Stoo - you may be right about Harry Steele's scarf. If Indy had one I reckon it would have been ok by all the fans. Come to think of it, why didn't Indy have one?
John Wayne in LEGEND OF THE LOST and Stewart Granger in KING SOLOMONS MINES had one, so where was Indy's?

I have just watched VALLEY OF THE KINGS Stoo. It came in the post this morning and I stuck it in the recorder immediately. I absolutely loved it!
Its not as good as SECRET OF THE INCAS of course (what adventure movie is though?) but its far better than some reviewers are suggesting. I will post a review on that link tomorrow Stoo. I can't thank you enough mate ... you are a real good friend.
ps- if you need a copy of LEGEND OF THE LOST I have a dvd taped off the telly going spare.

StoneTriple

Stoo said:
Hi, James. Most likely because Harrison Ford doesn't wear one in the films (although he does have one in "Mystery of the Blues"). If Harrison Ford *did* wear a scarf in any of the movies, all the gearheads would have a 'screen accurate' one.:p

(y)

Stoo

James Byrne said:
Hey Stoo - you may be right about Harry Steele's scarf. If Indy had one I reckon it would have been ok by all the fans. Come to think of it, why didn't Indy have one?
John Wayne in LEGEND OF THE LOST and Stewart Granger in KING SOLOMONS MINES had one, so where was Indy's?
Spielberg once said that part of the Indy blend was Fred C. Dobbs from "Treasure of the Sierra Madre" and Dobbs didn't wear one. "Scarf? I don't have to show you any stinking scarf!";)

Harry Steele's neckwear is more along the lines of an ascot, untucked. While you're probably right about Indy fans not liking Chuck's scarf, I'm curious to know why you think so. The same people must not like his rolled up pant/trouser legs because it's not 'Indy' enough.
StoneTriple said:
Is that Richey's mom in the beginning of Incas?
Yes, indeed it is Mrs. 'C'! We were talking about her (last year) on this page & the previous one (beginning with post #88).