Little things you notice about the movies

oki9Sedo

Attila the Professor said:
Perhaps, perhaps, as written, that is what was intended, although I'm still rather skeptical. Glover's delivery makes quite clear to me that it's a pun on the similar sound of "thanks" and "tanks." As someone above has noted, there's only one tank used, but two or more are mentioned. The joke is the only good reason for that.

Perhaps, but I don't think so. The joke is simply better with my interpretation, ie. when the Sultan tells him all the supplies he will get, he says "You're welcome" to the Sultan instead of "Thank you", making a subtle, cheeky reference to the fact that the Sultan is giving him all those provisions as a form of thank you, and therefore does not need to be thanked in return, while also being a joke about the provisions being quite an (happily) excessive thank you.

Its quite clever wit I think, and more than a little cheeky. Donovan's a smart man, and I think that was his joke rather than a funny but still cheap "tanks!" pun.

oki9Sedo

That said, perhaps the only reason I interpreted the joke my way was because I never actually noticed the "tanks" thing before. So you could well be right.

If I'd been aware of the rhyming there, I don't know which interpretation I would have gone for.

Michael24

oki9Sedo said:
I think thats just a coincidence.

The joke is that Donovan says "You're welcome" instead of "Thank you", making a witty reference to the fact that the Sultan is pretty much the one saying thank you.

I think the fact that he says "tanks" last and that sounds like "thanks" is just a coincidence and not an added layer to the joke.

Bingo. I never saw that bit as a joke at all.

Vance

One thing I saw in that scene was that Vogel seemed very upset to lose the car. Since he was Staff Officer on the expedition, wouldn't it have been his car? :)

The Man

Vance said:
One thing I saw in that scene was that Vogel seemed very upset to lose the car. Since he was Staff Officer on the expedition, wouldn't it have been his car? :)

Ahh, no wonder he was so pissed in the tank rumble...;)

indifan101

The Well Of Souls

If you watch Raiders Of the Lost Ark again in the scene where Indy and Marion have found a way out of the Well Of Souls when Indy pushes the block out you'll see a guy lying under them as if the block has knocked him out. I think it's just a scene error or something but you can see him plain as day there.

The Man

indifan101 said:
If you watch Raiders Of the Lost Ark again in the scene where Indy and Marion have found a way out of the Well Of Souls when Indy pushes the block out you'll see a guy lying under them as if the block has knocked him out. I think it's just a scene error or something but you can see him plain as day there.

The unconscious guy is left over from a deleted scene in which he faints after seeing Indy and Marion emerge from the tomb.

whipem

I thought I saw this a while ago...in Raiders, the guy who falls onto the front of the truck while Indy is driving appears also in the scene with Indy and the swordsman (the shot when the crowd parts to reveal Indy, I believe he's on the left). But I'm far away from my copy of the film now, so I can't double-check. Did anyone else notice this?

The_Raiders

Indy"Ale" Jones said:
Which trap killed him?

Ha ha, I meant like, if a trap was really close to killing him, it'd like reset itself and Indy would escape at the last second, like the rock crusher for example, there'd be several parts where it'd be practicly touching his hat, then it'd show Shorty trying to stop the maharaja brat, and then it'd go back to Indy and he'd be several inches away from the rock crusher.

Yure

Attila the Professor said:
As someone above has noted, there's only one tank used, but two or more are mentioned. The joke is the only good reason for that.

"You said two tanks! That's one tank! Can't you count?" XD

Michael24

oki9Sedo said:
Does Indy not punch him out?

I think it was supposed to be that the guy just faints after saying something about believing the dead were returning or something like that, since they were coming out of the crypt.

whipem said:
I thought I saw this a while ago...in Raiders, the guy who falls onto the front of the truck while Indy is driving appears also in the scene with Indy and the swordsman (the shot when the crowd parts to reveal Indy, I believe he's on the left). But I'm far away from my copy of the film now, so I can't double-check. Did anyone else notice this?

You mean the big German guy or the guy who looks through the windshield in disbelief, causing Indy and the driver to momentarily share a laugh? I'll have to check out.

WillKill4Food

Michael24 said:
I think it was supposed to be that the guy just faints after saying something about believing the dead were returning or something like that, since they were coming out of the crypt.
No, I'm pretty sure that the guy was punched by Indy or kicked by Indy. I don't think he fainted. It seems like somewhere on TheRaider.net it says that the scene was of Indy punching him but it was deleted as unnessecary.

WillKill4Food said:
No, I'm pretty sure that the guy was punched by Indy or kicked by Indy. I don't think he fainted. It seems like somewhere on TheRaider.net it says that the scene was of Indy punching him but it was deleted as unnessecary.

No. It's on probably The Raider.... and definitely on the DVD special features and probably a bunch of other places; the guy fainted. He wasn't a solider. Look again; he's a digger. He fainted when Indy comes out of the tomb.

Besides, watch the movie. The guy's already collapsed and THEN Indy and Marion jump out of the tomb.

metalinvader

and here it is.......

http://www.theraider.net/films/raiders/deleted_scenes.php

There was a small cut during the scene where Indy and Marion escape from the Well of Souls. When Indy pushes the large stone brick out of the room filled with mummy's, there is an Arab guard standing outside. When the Arab and Indy come face to face, Indy simply knocks him unconscious.
Evidence of this scene still remains in the film. As Indy steps out of the chamber, he pauses and looks off to the left side of the screen. In the following shot, when Indy and Marion run from the building to the German plane, that Arab is visible lying on the ground by the building.

WillKill4Food

ResidentAlien said:
No. It's on probably The Raider.... and definitely on the DVD special features and probably a bunch of other places; the guy fainted. He wasn't a solider. Look again; he's a digger. He fainted when Indy comes out of the tomb.

Besides, watch the movie. The guy's already collapsed and THEN Indy and Marion jump out of the tomb.
Wrongo, RA. It was a deleted scene.

Thanks, MetalinVader. I was busy and a little too lazy to look it up.

Violet

Moderator Emeritus
In the train chase in LC, Roscoe's hair colour changes. In close ups, it's reddish brown and in wide shots, it's grey and he also appears taller (evidently a stunt double). It's always bothered me.

Major West

On thing I noticed recently, and I probably noticed it before but I sometimes try and forget things that spoil the magic. Anyway it was in Raiders when Indy rides the horse up the hill and pauses before going after the truck. The guy on the horse is clearly Terry Leonard and not Ford. Of course he did most of the work on that truck sequence anyway. So theres one bit of 'physical acting' Ford forgot to do.

WillKill4Food said:
Wrongo, RA. It was a deleted scene.

Thanks, MetalinVader. I was busy and a little too lazy to look it up.

I KNOW it's a deleted scene. Watch the movie. The guy can still be seen. Ger. Don't correct me when you're wrong. Words of advice. The guy is slouched by the wall and Spielberg mentions it in the special features as a remnant of a deleted scene where the guy FAINTS upon seeing Indy come out of the tomb.

WillKill4Food

ResidentAlien said:
I KNOW it's a deleted scene. Watch the movie. The guy can still be seen. Ger. Don't correct me when you're wrong. Words of advice. The guy is slouched by the wall and Spielberg mentions it in the special features as a remnant of a deleted scene where the guy FAINTS upon seeing Indy come out of the tomb.
Sigh. Did you read Metalinvader's post from TheRaider.net?
It says:
TheRaider.net said:
There was a small cut during the scene where Indy and Marion escape from the Well of Souls. When Indy pushes the large stone brick out of the room filled with mummy's, there is an Arab guard standing outside. When the Arab and Indy come face to face, Indy simply knocks him unconscious.
Evidence of this scene still remains in the film. As Indy steps out of the chamber, he pauses and looks off to the left side of the screen. In the following shot, when Indy and Marion run from the building to the German plane, that Arab is visible lying on the ground by the building.