Why do you hate Willie Scott?

Grave Robber

Why Do You Hate Willie Scott?

I've been seeing a lot of negative posts directed towards Willie Scott....and I don't understand why! I think Willie was an important factor in making ToD the great movie it is!

Willie provided great lines and comedy throughout the movie. Don't tell me that when she said "What are you supposed to be a lion tamer?" that you didn't immediately side with her (or laugh cause, before LC, you were thinking the same thing). The bulk of her comedic input was the torturing of her character, and since that occurred about every 10 minutes one can see how it helped shape the movie

Alright one thing has to be addressed though: the screaming. Willie did scream about every 10 minutes too, but it was even Capshaw screaming so we can't blame her for that ;) Ha but seriously...I guess I can't really make a claim for the screaming. It never bothered me, but more so catalyzed the funniness already happening. I guess all I can say is, "well, she had to express her fear some way." I suppose we can pin that one on bad voice casting.

The final thing, and another major element of her character was her proneness to whine. Now if I was Indy, I'd be pissed. But as an observer (movie critic in a way) I found it delightful and a funny twist on the previous type of female accompaniment that we were used to (Marion). We all know not all women are like Marion (no stab at you ladies) and I think Willie brilliantly represented the other side of the spectrum.

Maybe.Not Today

I love Willie scott. I think Kate Capshaw is a wonderful actress, and a hilarious comedian!

Although I may have made a comment about her screaming ( in defense of Marion's bravery by comparison), Willie is one of my favorite characters in the trilogy.... I sure hope no one hates Willie! :eek:

Dr.Sartorius

I don't hate her but she's my least favorite Indy girl because her character isn't interesting... at...all.

At least with Marion and Sophia, Indy has some history. And with Elsa, she turns out to be a Nazi bit^$ &%^##@@#.

Darth Vile

Agree with the majority of the posts.

Willie is a solid leading female character and Kate C is a solid actor. She was the obvious female progression for the Raiders sequel as it was a departure from the 'one of the lads' and feisty character of Marion.

So in short, I like both the character and characterisation of Willie Scott, but I prefer the feisty Marion and the duplicitous Elsa.

Paden

It's the screaming. That recurring shriek really wears thing after a while. :)

More to the point, I think Sartorius hits on the most telling reason. Of the female characters in the trilogy, Scott is honestly the least interesting. She's essentially a vehicle for (occasionally strained) comedy, but not much else. Her character lacks any kind of depth.

metalinvader

Willie's alright in my book.I love how they put her so out in her element in the movie.She's a spoiled,pampered,cry baby and here she is riding an elephant,eating eyeball soup and about to be dunked in a pool of lava.

As for ranking though she is last on the list for me for Indy movie girls.

drjones

You know what I wonder about? I wonder how Spielberg got Kate to scream for the scenes with the bugs. It's common knowledge, as Kate has pointed out one more than one occasion, that she took some kind of tranquilizer to calm herself. When she showed up the day they shot the bug sequence, she was very calm, calmer than a cucumber. I'm still wondering how they managed to get her to scream.

SterankoII

I like Willy. I wasn't annoyed at her screaming because I was eight years old when I first watched the movie and girls always seemed to scream at gross stuff!

The spike chamber sequence only works with Willie. If it had been Marion or Elsa, Indy and Short Round would have gotten out of there a lot faster and it wouldn't have been as suspenseful!

Michael24

SterankoII said:
I like Willy. I wasn't annoyed at her screaming because I was eight years old when I first watched the movie and girls always seemed to scream at gross stuff!

The spike chamber sequence only works with Willie. If it had been Marion or Elsa, Indy and Short Round would have gotten out of there a lot faster and it wouldn't have been as suspenseful!

metalinvader said:
Willie's alright in my book.I love how they put her so out in her element in the movie.She's a spoiled,pampered,cry baby and here she is riding an elephant,eating eyeball soup and about to be dunked in a pool of lava.

Ditto. (y)

Willie doesn't bother me for the same reasons. I like her and think she too-often gets a raw deal from fans, just like the Ewoks. She's not my favorite Indy girl, but I like her. (Though lookswise she's my favorite. :whip: )

If it weren't for Willie Scott, we wouldn't have the titter worthy line -
"If you want me, Willie, you know where you can find me." :eek:

If you're not British, you probably wont understand what I mean.

Zorg

Thank God for Willie Scott, at least we didn't have a lame Marion clone in ToD! Imagine that for a second.

Indy_Chic

I love Willie Scott! She is one of my favourite characters and her bickering with Short Round just makes me laugh! I like how her character seems to grow a lot from a spoiled whiny singer to someone who will fight back and pack a good punch like that Thugee dude found out during the minecar scene.:p

The 'you'll be back here in five minutes' are my favourite scenes of her. She was funny! :D

Perhilion

I don't hate her, I think she's one of the best Indy girls. She's beautiful, she has lots of great lines, a good actor, etc. But as Indy said, "the problem with her is the noise"

IndySeven

Willie's not that bad. At least she didn't whine "You can't kidnap me! I'm an American! Indy, help!" like Marion did!:D

Although I must admit that Willie does scream a bit too much!:)

indyflys_solo

IndySeven said:
Willie's not that bad. At least she didn't whine "You can't kidnap me! I'm an American! Indy, help!" like Marion did!:D

Although I must admit that Willie does scream a bit too much!:)

A bit too much? Willie screams nonstop, are you kidding?! And if it's not "You can't kidnap me! I'm an American! Indy, help!" (Which was perfectly normal under the circumstances: imagine yourself in a basket held captive by a group of random assassins; you can't see where they're taking you; the man you secretly still love either doesn't know where you are or is doing nothing to help you... that's pretty tough. Not to mention the fact that Marion only screams when she's actually in trouble. An owl, a jumble of very dead skeletons... not really cause for all the shrieking), it's "I hate the water! I hate being wet! And I hate YOU!"

Sorry, but somehow I feel that Willie is a "blah" character who has no past (besides her little "I was happy in Shanghai" and "I'm going home to Missourri" rants), no future, and no hope of being the best Indy girl. She shrieks constantly, and she's just stupid.

DanRO

Hate is a too strong word :p

Anyway, I have no problems with her. She was simply not used to action, jungle, people trying to kill her but please consider that she did adapt herself to the situation. She helped Indy and, despite complaining, she was not coward whenever her help was required. She is definitelly not in for adventure and risk but if she had more time, she would have become quite a sturdy companion.

And finally, it would be far too perfect and boring if Indy would always have the perfect companions around him ;p