Indy Fact Check

Joe Brody

What year would Indy have graduated from the University of Chicago?

Based on one fan timeline, I'm guessing Spring of 1920 -- after Mystery of the Blues -- but obviously before the Hollywood story. Can anyone confirm?

Pale Horse

Staff member
That diploma has Abner as a sociologist. Hmmmmm

EDIT: It also has the Masonic seal of the Phoenix: Double Hmmmmm

Last edited:

Joe Brody

Thanks VP & Deadlock for the links. I'll go with '22. The Obi Wan link was a hoot. I was impressed with the guy going through all the trouble of making the degree till his motives became clear.

Pale Horse said:
That diploma has Abner as a sociologist. Hmmmmm

That point is discussed in the thread -- what's your train of thought?

Pale Horse said:
EDIT: It also has the Masonic seal of the Phoenix: Double Hmmmmm

The University of Chicago is the last place that I would think of as being a hot-bed of Masonic Activity.

Pale Horse

Staff member
My girlfriend just graduated with her Masters in Sociology. As an english major myself, I can see nothing about her studies over the last 7 years that suggest any connection to religion and/or history. I do know, however, that academia has progressed exponentially with regards to diversity of study, but I doubt seriously, that Abner would have is doctorate in this particular field. I could be wrong. I just think that History or Language/Linguistics would be more appropriate, if archeology hadn't burgeoned into it's own at that time.

Joe Brody

Isn't there a chance that what passes for sociology today (post '60's) isn't what passed for sociology in the '20's? I never took sociology but a text I remember reading had a fair amount of cultural anthropology . . . and isn't that sorta close?

Pale Horse

Staff member
I just think that sociology in the '20's had more to do with Marx, and economics, than history. I guess it is possible. I think it's best for me to defer to the experts.

Aaron H

Moderator Emeritus
Joe Brody said:
The University of Chicago is the last place that I would think of as being a hot-bed of Masonic Activity.
And yet that is the UofC seal.

roundshort said:
God bless the soft sciences

mom'ma don't let your kids grow up to be history majors . . .
What about having it as a minor (like me)?