John Byrne's Indiana Jones

vf wing

Okay, there is a piece of art i'd like to acquire. Or at least see again. I want to approach Indy fandom at large to help if they may.

As most fans of the Marvel's The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones will remember, John Byrne wrote and drew the first two issues of the comic. I have those, and that's not really what i'm posting about.

No, what i'm looking for is a single page of art depicting Dr. Jones' office as drawn by Mr. Byrne. It's quite detailed, filled with all sorts of chatchkas that i for some reason cannot remember 27-odd years hence. It was never published in the Indy comic, for i'm pretty sure i still own all those issues, or at least the first couple of years' worth. This artwork ran actually as an ad for the (at the time) forthcoming comic. The only place i can recall ever seeing it was on the back cover of a Conan comic that belonged to one of my buddies waaaaay back in the day.

Anybody ever seen it, or maybe know where it might be online??? Any help or recollections would be appreciated! (y)

phantom train

This sounds very interesting - It's rumored that Dark Horse may reprint the Marvel IJ series at some point - if this happens, hopefully they will include this J. Byrne-drawn ad.

vf wing

Thanks for the link, Z! The pic i'm looking for wasn't there, but it's a cool page nonetheless!

At this point, i'd probably break down and buy a trade just to get the ad!

vf wing

Yeah, it was an overhead shot. I really can't remember if his feet were propped up or not. I want to think he didn't have his hat on tho. Can't remember if he was wearing his suit or not.

Wonder if there's a database for Conan back issue covers? :gun:

indyclone25

i was talking to john byrne at a convention back in the late 90's and he kinda has a sore spot for the indy series ---- he told me that the stories he wanted to do were very serail like and that marvel didnt want four issues to tell a story. cause if you see the first two issues after the the second is a ad for the third issue that he was suppose to do and he and marvel had their falling out about so it wasn't published and they had a different writer and artist doing it --- when i pressed him more about it --he just said "i can't talk about it anymore" --- so i dropped it and left

indyclone25

my bad ---- i went and looked at my comic and it wasn't showing the next issue like i thought --- but i saw the pic somewhere back in the day it had indy looking at something and he was holding a lamp and a skeletal mummy was behind him holding a axe ready to chop indys head off --- no i will be going thru my old comics looking for that pic --- oh well something to do this week i guess ---lol

indyclone25

aha ---i found it !!!! it was in the issue of the raiders movie adaption that was collected alltogether in comic size in 1982 and it was the last page of the book this is what it looked like ---- to bad i would have liked to see this story?
scan0005.jpg

yodazone

indyclone25 said:
isnt that a cool drawing?

Very cool drawing. Is that from the magazine sized "Raiders of the Lost Ark" Marvel adaptatation?

Here's a promo poster I found recently which features the cover to issue #1 from the regular Marvel Indy series:

5b3e_1.jpg

RaiderMitch

TR.N Staff Member
That art was done by Howard Chaykin and was used for issue 6 or 7 -- I forgot that I even had that poster until you posted it -- thanks for jogging the old memory

yodazone

Mitchellhallock said:
That art was done by Howard Chaykin and was used for issue 6 or 7 -- I forgot that I even had that poster until you posted it -- thanks for jogging the old memory

Yea, it's definitely from issue #8:

(I kept thinking that classic Indy image was from issue #1 for some reason...)

2744_4_08.jpg
5b3e_1.jpg

(y)

Last edited:

indyclone25

yodazone said:
Very cool drawing. Is that from the magazine sized "Raiders of the Lost Ark" Marvel adaptatation?

Here's a promo poster I found recently which features the cover to issue #1 from the regular Marvel Indy series:

5b3e_1.jpg

it was from the comic sized adaption that collected all three issues in one book

harvey

vf wing said:
Okay, there is a piece of art i'd like to acquire. Or at least see again. I want to approach Indy fandom at large to help if they may.

As most fans of the Marvel's The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones will remember, John Byrne wrote and drew the first two issues of the comic. I have those, and that's not really what i'm posting about.

No, what i'm looking for is a single page of art depicting Dr. Jones' office as drawn by Mr. Byrne. It's quite detailed, filled with all sorts of chatchkas that i for some reason cannot remember 27-odd years hence. It was never published in the Indy comic, for i'm pretty sure i still own all those issues, or at least the first couple of years' worth. This artwork ran actually as an ad for the (at the time) forthcoming comic. The only place i can recall ever seeing it was on the back cover of a Conan comic that belonged to one of my buddies waaaaay back in the day.

Anybody ever seen it, or maybe know where it might be online??? Any help or recollections would be appreciated! (y)

Just jumping into this thread now. The piece you mention is located on a thread in that Byrne forum that was posted. You have to register and log in to see it. Search "Indiana Jones" in the threads.

Did anyone ever find the original source on that?? And...I'm looking through all 34 issues of Further Adventures, all 3 Raiders comics AND the collected Marvel Super Special 18 and CANNOT find the preview for The Sentinel. What am I missing?? :confused:

indyclone25

as we chatted on before this was the issue where the sentinel was shown , but never produced
1982 re-issue of the raiders comic
scan0001.jpg

and the sentinel artwork(found on the back inside cover)
scan0002.jpg

harvey

indyclone25 said:
as we chatted on before this was the issue where the sentinel was shown , but never produced
1982 re-issue of the raiders comic
scan0001.jpg

and the sentinel artwork(found on the back inside cover)
scan0002.jpg

Awesome. I have the collected work in Marvel Super Special #18...but I did not know about THAT book.

eBay, here I come!!! (y)